Solved Unusual & Perplexing Page Not Found Behavior

You might have to touch the keys multiple times during the POST to get them to work. Usually you won't see the appropriate screen immediately but it should come up before Windows starts loading. Usually on the first page of the POST it will tell you the keys, such as Del, to get to the BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
The POST screen - the one with the big blue Dell logo tells me that F2 will take me to setup and F12 to the Boot menu. They do no. I have tried pressing either key once, multiple times, and even tapping (ala F8), but nothing ever happens.

I really think it's a keyboard / processor mismatch kind of a problem.

My Computer

And as far as the browser goes, the only curious thing is that after I reinstalled the OS I kept going through the Windows Update, to get everything current. Not one time did it ever update Internet Explorer. IE7 was apparently part of the install on my CD. I eventually had to manually go the the MS webpage for IE and download the version of IE8 for 32 bit Vista. In the past the Windows update process has always, at some point, updated my browser.

My Computer

Whether Vista will automatically upgrade from one version of IE to another depends on how you have the Windows Updater configured. Although the term update is used, I consider going from one complete version to another as an upgrade.

On my Win 7 machine, it was set up such that it didn't ask if you wanted to install all the updates and it automatically upgraded my IE 8 to IE9. I changed the Windows Updater to ask me which updates I want to install because I don't want v9.

You might try reinstalling your keyboard.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Took my friend's tower back to his place and it works perfectly - no 'page not found' or 'server not found'. It was apparently a minute change in the network driver that caused the problems - Realtek RTL8168C was the driver needed, but a Realtek RTL8168, without the 'C' was what had been running. When I'd gone to device manager and asked to update the driver without the C, it said that it could not find a better match than the driver already installed. Very frustrating.

And my friend HAS a Dell USB keyboard and it will now access the BIOS and allow a CD boot.

Bizarre problems, but I'd say they're solved.

My Computer

Back