US Veterans

What I think some protestors don't realize is that in a dictatorship like China they wouldn't be allowed to protest.

I do believe anyone has the right to peacably protest government policies on anything.

Hmm... Someone came up with the idea that if anyone doesn't want to live where they are protected by police and the US military, a region in the US could be carved out. And they live there for a year. Once a year, after they move there, they can ask to be let out and go back to areas where they do get police protection. Not saying prison, a large area, like a section of a state. Say, one-third of Wyoming.

I think dumping them in Somalia would be too over the top.

Have I always backed US policy ? No. have I always agreed with what all politicians do ? No.

I just think some protestors in the US have no idea what it is like in a non-democracy.

I don't follow the purpose of your initial statement. They don't realize they would lack the freedom to protest if they fell under a dictatorship, so are you suggesting they open all protests in an offering to the political Gods thanking them for giving us a democratic system? I'm assuming you're just making a generalization out of the blue. Why does it matter if an American protester knows the conditions for protesting in a foreign land? They're exercising that right in a place where it is allowed. That's like suggesting people should be publicly thankful for the laws of physics in the hopes the universe doesn't decide to take a sick twist on us. As long as we're in the USA, we're going to either have the liberties and freedoms granted to us in our founding documents, or people like me storming the capital and fulfilling my oath to defend the constitution. So to all the protestors out there, thank you for exercising your rights, now go vote.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Primary 1680 X 1050, Secondary 1920 X 1080
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Satalite :-(
    Other Info
    Running SUSE, Solaris, Kalyware, and BSD through vmware whenever the mood strikes
Nope.

Protestors in the US claim they live in a terrible place. Oh how terrible it is to them. It isn't perfect, but it is far from terrible.

Protestors in China are executed or 're-educated'.

I am saying, they don't realize, nor appear to want to realize, how lucky they are that they live in the US.

Not hyperbole at all.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 terabyte sata in 1 partition
    Cooling
    fans that came with it
    Keyboard
    basic USB
    Mouse
    basic USB
    Internet Speed
    3 megabits on a cable modem, wired
I travel a lot for work, lots of airports and hotels. I make it a point whenever I see someone in uniform to walk up and shake their hand and offer my thanks for their service and sacrafice, no matter what I am doing.

Its just that important to me, a lot of people dont understand how much we have is because people are willing to fight and die for what we have here.

Also, something a lot of people dont realise, is how much sacrafice military families make. They may not wear the uniform but their sacrafice is just as great in my eyes.

Me and My wife (she is a Isreali military vet of 8 years) go out of our way to help military famalies any way we can. They are unsung heroes.

My Computer

Nope.

Protestors in the US claim they live in a terrible place. Oh how terrible it is to them. It isn't perfect, but it is far from terrible.

I am saying, they don't realize, nor appear to want to realize, how lucky they are that they live in the US.

Not hyperbole at all.

Your generalizations about the "American protestor" are very disappointing. I suppose conformity is the answer. Who are you to say what protestors know or acknowledge? Isn't living conditions relative anyway? Providing protesting isn't offensive, regardless of the cause I fully support it. If you're going to make such specific claims about such a vague group, you better be willing to support it. Not all protestors are high school kids who are rebelling against society and have never left their county like you're so subtly hinting at.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Running SUSE, Solaris, Kalyware, and BSD through vmware whenever the mood strikes
To Techymike,

In November 1976 I came home from Southeast Asia and my part in the Vietnam War...I had decided to come home via commercial airlines rather than military transport and landed in San Francisco on Thanksgiving day. I traveled in my dress uniform because it allowed me the “special treatment” of being first through baggage collection and customs.

It wasn't so much what I left behind that haunted me for so many years, but what I faced coming home. I was “back in the world” as we used to call it, but I wasn’t home. I’ll never forget the looks of rage and hate, the names I was called, the curses and being spit at…all by the very people I thought I was serving.

Of course I also think of all those who I fought beside and against. I will never regret my service…it was a debt owed and paid to our country. One I hope my children (and yours) are never called upon to pay. I guess what I am trying to share is that all of us bring home our demons…it is what keeps us “human” in spite of what we face(d)…there are times I cry, times I salute with pride and times I hang my head in shame.

Take some small comfort in knowing that you are not alone…your thoughts and concerns are shared by so many of us…it is a part of what makes and keeps us caring human beings…because it matters to you that you faced one of the hardest challenges that we can, did the task at hand and today feel sorrow because of it.

But know especially, from a fellow soldier, that I’m glad to have you home…God bless you and yours.

My Best Wishes Always,

Michael

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME / 0026 (yeah, at LEAST that many systems)
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 Quad Core
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
    Memory
    OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Edition 4GB Dual Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GV-N210OC-512I NVIDIA GeForce 210 GPU
    Sound Card
    Realtek / Nvidia (built in) Dolby Home Theatre
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 22" Widescreen LCD / Vizio 47" 1080p LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    Native / 1080P
    Hard Drives
    Not Enough (SAMSUNG F1 RAID CLASS 250GB SERIAL ATA/300 7200RPM 16MB BUFFER HARD DRIVE - HD252HJ) for now
    PSU
    ANTEC EA380
    Case
    ANTEC NSK2480 Desktop case (HTPC)
    Cooling
    3 ANTEC 120 mm TriCool™ 3-speed fans / INTEL stock CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (cool blue laser!)
    Internet Speed
    VERIZON FIOS 25/25Mbps (Required for HDTV - Darn!)
    Other Info
    HTPC / Main system...build 4/28/2009 - Burning in...So far, wicked fast, especially internet...Hulu on the Vizio while I'm working on the dell...TV never looked so good!
To Techymike,

In November 1976 I came home from Southeast Asia and my part in the Vietnam War...I had decided to come home via commercial airlines rather than military transport and landed in San Francisco on Thanksgiving day. I traveled in my dress uniform because it allowed me the “special treatment” of being first through baggage collection and customs.

It wasn't so much what I left behind that haunted me for so many years, but what I faced coming home. I was “back in the world” as we used to call it, but I wasn’t home. I’ll never forget the looks of rage and hate, the names I was called, the curses and being spit at…all by the very people I thought I was serving.

Of course I also think of all those who I fought beside and against. I will never regret my service…it was a debt owed and paid to our country. One I hope my children (and yours) are never called upon to pay. I guess what I am trying to share is that all of us bring home our demons…it is what keeps us “human” in spite of what we face(d)…there are times I cry, times I salute with pride and times I hang my head in shame.

Take some small comfort in knowing that you are not alone…your thoughts and concerns are shared by so many of us…it is a part of what makes and keeps us caring human beings…because it matters to you that you faced one of the hardest challenges that we can, did the task at hand and today feel sorrow because of it.

But know especially, from a fellow soldier, that I’m glad to have you home…God bless you and yours.

My Best Wishes Always,

Michael

Well written Michael.

This happened here in Australia too. Unforgivable in my book, but as someone better known than I said ---"Forgive them for they know not what they do"

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LAPTOP. HP Pavilion dv7-1005TX .
    CPU
    IntelCore [email protected] x2
    Memory
    4.00 GB installed, max capacity 8 GB.
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT & 512MB DDR2 dedicated graphics mem.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.0" diagonal WXGA + High definition brightview widescreen infinity display.
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.
    Drive 1. 298.09 GB Fujitzu MHZ2320BH G2 ATA Device
    Drive 2. [ All as above.]

CONFIG. C:\287.65 GB, D:\298.09 GB, E:\10.44 GB.
    Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port touch pad.
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.
I will never quite understand how one could hate those who serve their country. It's an honorable thing to give up X years of your life whether by choice or national requirement. It defines true selflessness which I always thought mankind encouraged.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
I will never quite understand how one could hate those who serve their country. It's an honorable thing to give up X years of your life whether by choice or national requirement. It defines true selflessness which I always thought mankind encouraged.
The thing is, its the war they are hating. And because they were in the war, that makes them an object to hate. Happened the worst with Vietnam I think.

~Lordbob

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9500GT 1Gb
    Sound Card
    Mobo
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206bw
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SP2514N ATA 250Gb 7200RPM
    Samsung [Model] 1Tb 7200RPM SATA2
    PSU
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W
    Keyboard
    Razer Tarantula
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    not fast enough
The thing is, its the war they are hating. And because they were in the war, that makes them an object to hate. Happened the worst with Vietnam I think.

~Lordbob

That's like hating the mailman for delivering the bills

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

~Lordbob

Yup.

~Lordbob

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9500GT 1Gb
    Sound Card
    Mobo
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206bw
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SP2514N ATA 250Gb 7200RPM
    Samsung [Model] 1Tb 7200RPM SATA2
    PSU
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W
    Keyboard
    Razer Tarantula
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    not fast enough

~Lordbob

Very few people are rational at the best of times.:)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.

Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.
Lordbob75 is spot on. Its not the soldiers who serve that i hate though, its the actual wars that we are engaged in. Im Scottish and in my humble opinion we havent been involved in a war for our nations freedom since the Falklands. The USA is worse you have to go back to WW2 for them.

Every war our 2 nations have been involved in since then have been for influence over nations, oil, trade etc. My grandparents served in WW2 and i have the utmost respect for what they had to do, to ensure not only their freedom but ours as well. I will always be thankfull to that generation for what they did.

My Computer

Lordbob75 is spot on. Its not the soldiers who serve that i hate though, its the actual wars that we are engaged in. Im Scottish and in my humble opinion we havent been involved in a war for our nations freedom since the Falklands. The USA is worse you have to go back to WW2 for them.

Every war our 2 nations have been involved in since then have been for influence over nations, oil, trade etc. My grandparents served in WW2 and i have the utmost respect for what they had to do, to ensure not only their freedom but ours as well. I will always be thankfull to that generation for what they did.

Bingo

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Nope.

Not hyperbole at all.

Your generalizations about the "American protestor" are very disappointing. I suppose conformity is the answer. Who are you to say what protestors know or acknowledge? Isn't living conditions relative anyway? Providing protesting isn't offensive, regardless of the cause I fully support it. If you're going to make such specific claims about such a vague group, you better be willing to support it. Not all protestors are high school kids who are rebelling against society and have never left their county like you're so subtly hinting at.

I have yet to see high schoolers protest against war. Maybe they have, but I haven't seen it.

I served during Viet Nam. While I wasn't spat on, I was verbally abused several times. By adults. Other people I knew personally who protested Viet Nam told me that had no grief with me, they just didn't like the US Policies, not Nixon, etc. The later group and I got along fine, we just didn't discuss politics.

I refute conformity as it doesn't get anything invented. If we all conformed, we would still be living in caves.

I have met and seen protestors who claim they live in a really bad place, the US. I doubt they have been much of anywhere. There are far worse places.

I remember being in Greece. We were there to show the flag. One of the things we did back then upon going into port was to book a museum/ruins tour. 8 hours, lunch included type deal. The tour guide in Greece wanted to talk politics, we were not allowed to do so. Two of the guys wanted to talk politics with him so they did. We went to lunch, he was called outside by the bus driver. He never came back. Someone else took his place. It is likely the Greek junta had him arrested. Probably executed him.

So yes, many protestors are naive. Same as those 2 guys who talked to that tour guide who was disapeared.

I have lived in many places in the United States. East coast, west coast, down South. I have met adults who have never gone outside the county they were born in. Their attitudes and knowledge are reflected in that.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 terabyte sata in 1 partition
    Cooling
    fans that came with it
    Keyboard
    basic USB
    Mouse
    basic USB
    Internet Speed
    3 megabits on a cable modem, wired
firstly.....i would like to say, those who go to fight for they're country's are ''salt of the earth'' characters, & i have nothing but respect for someone who would lay down his life for a stranger...;)

but surly as time goes on, you can see that wars are no longer fought for ''freedom'' or ''justice'', they are created by big-wig conglomerates who have no other goal but MONEY & POWER.

& its getting worse...... America is on the Virge of ''Marshall law'', where American soldiers will be ordered to enforce silly statutes & legislation's on the American ppl. (removing your guns will be the main aim when this Pandemic is in full swing)

no one wants war...... & the word ''Terrorist'' gets thrown around with far too much frequency, what is a ''War on Terror''..??, in reality its a war with no end & no clear enemy...... it leaves the doors open for congress & parliament to condemn whoever they wish & roll over whatever country they see fit too :mad:

in the coming years i would like you servicemen to simply ask yourself if the orders your being given are moral, humane & above all else ''right''

be safe.....

:)SK

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    8GB 1066mhz buffalo firestix
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 5970
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' syncmaster
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA IDE
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA 2
    PSU
    XCILIO 850w
    Case
    unknown ATX
    Cooling
    Arctic cooler pro 775
    Keyboard
    logitech EX110
    Mouse
    logitech cordless optical
    Internet Speed
    2mb
This is becoming an interesting discussion. Since I lived in the US for 15 years, I am pretty familiar with the mentality. I found, that few Americans have an idea of the horror of war. I was born before WWII and lived in Germany during the war. I had bombs dropped on my head, fell over bodies that were burnt by incinerating bombs and saw all the distruction. Still now, 65 years later, I get the smell of burning flesh in my nose when I think of it.
Anybody who has been thru such an experience wishes there were never a war again. In the old days wars were fought mainly because of religion or nationalism. Today they are being fought for oil, the war industry and false pretextes. In the future wars will be fought for resources like water and minerals. It is ashame that the human race cannot find a better way to live and distribute the resources fairly.
People who join the military by their free will must realize that one day they will be called to duty. And not because there is a great cause to be defended, but because it is something their politicians decided. All those justifications before or after are just window dressing. Always try to find the real reasons.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
Indeed there is some great conversation coming out of this, and I'm thankful we've managed to keep it civil.

JimJoe: I'm not arguing that all protestors are enlightened individuals who keep themselves updated on the human rights index. Some people are afraid to leave the nest, some find no need to, and some leave before they're ready. None of the three options are any more/less valid then the other. It's all a question of relevance. Let's apply this to a completely different situation.

You have a spoiled self centered wealthy child and a working class child. The wealthy child doesn't get the latest and greatest toy for Christmas, and the working class child doesn't get anything for Christmas. Both are going to experience disappointment. When you compare the two situations, one certainly seems less relevant then the other, but when the spoiled child goes to his spoiled friends and complains, his view is completely relevant, and they sympathize for him.

Those of us who see outside of our own borders are going to care, but that doesn’t make our views more valid then any others. There are people in the country who support the view that the US should act as a global police and interfere as it feels necessary, but they don’t believe in increasing welfare benefits to our own people. The logic doesn’t make sense, why essentially provide welfare to third world countries and not support those living in our borders? Why increase welfare benefits to Americans and not give a **** about the rest of the world? There will never be a perfect balance. So as far as the protestors are concerned, they are using a social tool very well.

Skunksmash: I agree completely with the shift in the purpose of war over time, and the pure absurdity of declaring war on terror. Just like the war on drugs, it’s a war that will not be won. It makes as much sense as a war on earthquakes or tsunamis. There’s a great idea, let’s launch missiles into the ocean/earth every time it makes an attempt at taking human life. But seriously, there will always be people willing to use terror as a tool to accomplish their own agenda. Hell, in the Abrahamic religions, God flooded the whole Earth to punish all life on earth for mankind being deemed far too evil. I don’t see how that is any different then some nomadic extremists wishing death upon the evil of America, even though there were plenty of innocent people aboard those four planes/WTC/Pentagon. I don’t agree at all that the US is anywhere near becoming a police state. The US military is sworn to defend the constitution against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic. That’s in our oath before mentioning the POTUS, so is our primary role. I can’t see the leadership being completely oblivious to being ordered to act against the people we enlisted to protect. So as far as your view on that is concerned, I’d say you are about 6000km of point.

As far as the legality is concerned, the Government is responsible for how they use the military, the commanders are responsible for how they use their units, the leaders are responsible for how they use their soldiers, and the soldiers are responsible for their actions. If a leader orders their team to do something legally/morally wrong it is the fault of the leader and those who executed the orders without using the gray matter their kevlar protects. There really is little to question in combat. The Geneva code defines what is unacceptable in times of war, so the only real question that is able to be raised is when to kill/destroy property. That is covered in most modern military's rules of engagement, which is why combat has evolved into what it is today. There are basic moral boundries in each culture, and I'd say those who enlist to fight for their country are aware of what those boundries are. Of course we have exceptions like the idiot MPs from Abu Ghraib who never questioned whether raping prisoners with foreign objects was right, but modern militaries aren't the barbarian hordes from histories past.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
http://www.vistax64.com/member.php?u=122694mkensinger

Welcome back and thanks.

I completely agree with how you feel. I was just a tad to young for Vietnam. I guess some of those ghosts will walk with us for life. I have a family to provide for so I know I will be fine and deal with it. I sort of even thought about deleting the original post but there were to many replies before I could. It turns out the rant was a good thing after all. I know I can't change the world but I can proudly say perhaps the children of those we did save can. Even my own.

Amen!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    Intel i7 920 Broomfield-Not overclocked
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X58-UD4P
    Memory
    12 Gig Corsair Dominator Triple Channel 1600 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire 3870 X2 - Just the one now
    Sound Card
    Creative Blaster X-FI Titanium Optical to Yamaha Receiver
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Panasonic 50 inch Plasma via HDMI and used as just a Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Sata Seagate 750 Gig 32MB for the Vista 64 bit and second drive is Sata 300 Gig for extra storage.
    PSU
    Cooler Master 1000
    Case
    Antec 900 extra fans
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper-N520
    Keyboard
    MX 5000 Logitech
    Mouse
    MX 5000 Logitech
    Internet Speed
    Cable 12MBPS
    Other Info
    LG GGW-H20 Blue Ray writer running with Cyberlink Ultra 9. Home Theater system through Yamaha 7.1 Receiver connected to 11 Def Tech speakers, including powered Def Tech 15 inch sub. What can I say I like movies! Not much of a gamer.
amen

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway/m6881
    CPU
    centrino core 2 duo 2.2ghz T7500
    Memory
    3GB
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD
    Mouse
    logitech
    Internet Speed
    fios 35MB not!!!!
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.

Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.