Vista (C:) Drive full?!?!

BethHughes

Help me!

I keep getting a message flash up on my screen saying I have almost no space left on my Vista (C:) drive. In the 'Computer' section it says I have 4.40 GB free out of 116 GB and the whole bar is coloured red (which I assume means critical!) I really have no idea why I would be using so much space, I don't really download anything, I have programmes such as Spotify and Itunes but even they don't get used often. I got rid of things like Google Earth but it's made no difference.

I have a Toshiba Laptop and I seem to remember that almost half the space was taken up the first day I took it home, could it be that Toshiba have filled it with unnecessary programmes?! I'm so new to this so any help would be well received!

Thank you!!

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
Yep, C drive is getting Full... Run TempFileCleaner.exe to cleanup unneeded temporary files... I have ran this on machines before and cleaned 10-15gb's worth of junk.

My Computer

Hallo BethHughes, on top of what others have suggested you could uninstall any programs you dont use;

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/123397-uninstall-change-program.html

If you have Both SP1 & SP2 successfully installed then from an elevated command prompt;

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/181765-elevated-command-prompt.html

Type; compcln.exe then press enter, this will clean up any unneeded remnants left over from Service pack installs and probably gain you another 1Gb

Also if you open a RUN command;

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/74788-run-command.html

Type; LPKSETUP then click OK from here you can remove any additional language packs you may never use. It will not allow you to remove your default language.

I hope this is of some help

Just to note if you start uninstalling unwanted programs your OS will create a restore point each time so to delete all but the most recent restore point have a look at step14 in this tutorial;

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76073-disk-cleanup.html

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett Packard, compaq presario CQ60-305AU
    CPU
    AMD Athlon QI-46 2.1 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Wistron 303C
    Memory
    2048 Mb DDR2 SD Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidea GE Go Force 8200M G / 256Mb dedicated grapics memory
    Sound Card
    MCP78S NVidea High definition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" High Definition Brightview Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1336x768
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba MK2555GSX ATA
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS2/Touchpad
go to C: right click properties disc clean up other options you can delete your old restore points here and it will keep your last one also run CCleaner to remove temporary files and when you uninstall programs use a program like Revo-Uninstaller then look for an external drive to move files to

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
Help me!

I keep getting a message flash up on my screen saying I have almost no space left on my Vista (C:) drive. In the 'Computer' section it says I have 4.40 GB free out of 116 GB and the whole bar is coloured red (which I assume means critical!) I really have no idea why I would be using so much space, I don't really download anything, I have programmes such as Spotify and Itunes but even they don't get used often. I got rid of things like Google Earth but it's made no difference.

I have a Toshiba Laptop and I seem to remember that almost half the space was taken up the first day I took it home, could it be that Toshiba have filled it with unnecessary programmes?! I'm so new to this so any help would be well received!

Thank you!!

I advise you use windows Disk cleanup in Accessories and system tools if you select all files on the this computer and provide Administrator password then when it has calculated it click more options tab then under system restore click clean up and click delete then wait a couple of minutes for it to do that

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    8.0GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (2GBx4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SMB1930NW (1440x900@60Hz)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    977GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA) + 250GB WD iSCSI attached Drive
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse
Back