Vista Extended Kernel on MSFN

Jody Thornton

Power User
I thought this might be of interest to those of you still running Vista, and enjoy doing so. Apparently, some modern versions of Firefox have been made to run on Vista using these methods, so it might be promising.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Two Intel Xeon Core2 Quad 3.2 GHz Processors
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia Quadro FX 3800 PCI-E
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 4x3 Flat Screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    Two Seagate Cheetah 300 GB SAS Disks
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    HP xw8600 Workstation Case
    Cooling
    Two CPU Fans and One Larger Cooling Fan
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Other Info
    Storage Interface: Two LSI 3000 SAS Adapters
    Browser: Firefox ESR 102
Yes, I too have noticed the commotion at MSFN, which is a popular hangout for advanced users who are attached to older versions of Windows. (Unlike you and several others, I do not use the same screen name at multiple forums: in fact this forum’s rule 12 might be construed as prohibiting that.) Does this mean you are going to abandon Windows 8 and run Vista with extended kernel on your old hardware? For not-so-advanced users, would it not make more sense to install Windows 7 on their old hardware? If they prefer Vista’s appearance, it is of course possible to make Windows 7 look exactly like Vista. (If I remember correctly, you have done the same thing with Windows 8.) Other than avoiding the cost of a Windows 7 key (which isn’t much in 2020), is there any good reason why novices should place their faith in “win32” of MSFN to modify their operating system?

I’m not sure what makes this a “Browsers and Mail” post, aside from the fact that lack of browser support is an obvious deficiency of “vanilla” Vista, as it is now being called at MSFN. Surprisingly enough, this forum has gurus who never seem to tire of using browser versions that are 3 or 4 years old now. And of course when it comes to post-EOL patches (which as you famously pointed out were free for Windows 6.0, but Microsoft has decided to charge money beginning with Windows 6.1), the motto around here is still “Patches? We don’t need no stinkin’ Patches!

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
As for which forum it's posted in, I think Brink moved it here. I can't remember where I posted it before.

Are you saying that I can't be "Jody Thornton" across several forums according to rule # 12? I'll have to go read that.

As for my choice of OS, no I really enjoy Winodws 8. I just thought this might be useful for those who like Vista still. I noticed Vistaar that you get annoyed when non-Vista users like me post here, but hey, I'm open to helping or notifying anyone of something new or interesting. Somebody liked my post so obviously, someone finds it useful.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Two Intel Xeon Core2 Quad 3.2 GHz Processors
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia Quadro FX 3800 PCI-E
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 4x3 Flat Screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    Two Seagate Cheetah 300 GB SAS Disks
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    HP xw8600 Workstation Case
    Cooling
    Two CPU Fans and One Larger Cooling Fan
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Other Info
    Storage Interface: Two LSI 3000 SAS Adapters
    Browser: Firefox ESR 102
Asking questions doesn’t mean I’m annoyed. If truth be told, I’m practically a “non-Vista user” myself now. I still own the old rig described in “My Computer” and it’s still loaded with Vista, but it has seen better days and is currently sitting in a closet. I’ve done only a few things with it this year, such as try out Yandex 17 Browser for the first time. (Of course I was motivated by discussions at MSFN - particularly by its ability to survive YouTube’s plans, which are generally bad news for the old browsers that supported vanilla Vista. So you are not the only one who has ever tried to cross-pollinate this forum - in fact I could name a couple of others.) You mentioned modern versions of Firefox in your first post, which I guess must be what Imacri liked; but Chrome is by far the world’s most popular browser...

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT