Vista ISO - Download and Create Installation DVD or USB

How to Download a Vista ISO and Create an Installation DVD or USB

information   Information
Downloads are available for the 32 (X86) and 64 bit (X64) versions of Vista Ultimate only, in English, French and German, but if, during the install, you do not enter the product key when initially prompted for it then you will be asked to select the version of Vista you want to install. It can be any of these four:
Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Ultimate
warning   Warning
You must have a valid installation key, which should be on the COA sticker on the computer, to activate the installation once it completes.

STEP ONE
To Download the Vista Setup Files

warning   Warning
The Vista downloads listed below seem to come and go. Right now, 10/12/2014 at 3:39PM EST they are available. I don't know of any other location they are legally available from, sorry.

1. Downloaded the Vista X64 or X86 setup files.​
download
X64 (64 bit):
install.wim​
boot.wim​
X14-63453.exe​
X86 (32 bit):
install.wim​
boot.wim​
X14-63452.exe​

Note   Note
Both X14-63453.exe and X14-63452.exe will be downloaded as MicrosoftInstaller.exe. For consistency, please rename MicrosoftInstaller.exe to X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe, depending on which you downloaded.
warning   Warning
Wait for all downloads to complete before continuing
2. Double click (or right click and Open) on the downloaded X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe. It extracts all the files into a Vista sub-folder.​
3. If they are not already there, copy boot.wim and install.wim into the Vista\sources folder that is created when you doubled clicked on the .exe file in step 2.
4. Download the Windows Bootable Image Creator zip file, WBICreator.zip.​
download
5. Extract the files in WBICreator.zip to a folder.​

STEP TWO
To Create the Vista ISO File

warning   Warning
You can download the files on any computer but you must be running on a 64bit (X64) system to create a 64Bit install DVD or flash drive

6. Open the folder and double click (or right click and Open) WBICreator.exe
WBICreator1.jpg
7. Click Next
WBICreator2.jpg
8. Select OS Type: Windows Vista (all the way to the bottom)​
9. CD/DVD Label: VistaX64 or VistaX86
10. Setup Location: The Vista folder created when you double clicked on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe.​
11. Output Path: Somewhere with enough free space to hold the .iso file that will be created (X64 = 3,837,112KB, X86 = 3,013,816KB).​
WBICreator3.jpg
12. Click GO. When done a VistaX64.iso or VistaX86.iso file will be created in the Output Path you chose.​
WBICreator4.jpg

STEP THREE
To Create Vista Installation DVD or USB Flash Drive with ISO File

13. You can use the generated .iso to create a Vista Install DVD.​
13a. Download and install and run ImgBurn.​
13b. Make sure you deselect anything other than ImgBurn during the install by always taking the Custom choice.​
Imgburn1.jpg
13c. Click on Write image file to disc
Imgburn2.jpg
13d. Click the Browse for file button and selecta the ISO file you just created.​
Imgburn3.jpg
13e. Click Write. A nice little tune will play when the DVD create completes.​
Imgburn4.jpg
14. You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Vista from.​
14a. Download and run Universal USB Installer Easy as 1 2 3
14b. Select Vista from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom​
USBUniversalInstaller1.jpg
14c. Select the VistaX64.iso or VistaX86 .iso file​
14d. Select your USB flash drive​
14e. Click Create​
USBUniversalInstaller2.jpg

information   Information
I created a X86 flash drive and used it to install a clean copy of Vista Home Basic on my HP DV2200 Laptop. Worked great using the key on the COA sticker of the laptop.

Remember to activate after the install has completed.

Note: You may need to download drivers for the computer from the manufacturers web site so I would suggest getting the Network (LAN and Wireless) and video/VGA drivers ahead of time so you can install them as soon as you finish installing Vista.

Attachments

• WBICreator.zip
    161.1 KB · Views: 83,243
  • Image_File.png
    Image_File.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 983
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that should wok though I have not personally tested a Repair Install, only a Clean Install.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s)
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 27" C27F398 Curved Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 (HDMI)
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    Seagate ST2000NM001 2TB
    Seagate ST31500341AS 1.5TB
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Lenovo USB
    Internet Speed
    50MB Down, 10MB Up
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 Pro X64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP xw4400 Workstation
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    HP 0A68h
    Memory
    5GB
    Graphics card(s)
    ATI FireGL V3300
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer KN242HYL 24" (KVMS)
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST3120026As 120GB SATA (boot)
    Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB SATA
    Mouse
    Logitech via KVMS switch
    Keyboard
    Dell USB via KVMS switch
    Internet Speed
    50 Down, 10 Up
    Other Info
    Apache Web Server since 2001
Hello...I have a system...a HP Pavilion that I am waiting to see if the owner has a DVD that I can use to repair the OS. If he does not have said disk could I use the above mentioned files to create a DVD that I could do an in place system repair with? The system apparently has had many issues with Windows Update and any attempts I have made to fix it have failed.

You should not need a dvd unless the hard drive is toast, as HP has recovery files on the hard drive. Check their website as to how to use it. But you might want to do a clean install instead to get rid of the bloat. Read through the tutorials here as these guys are the experts. That being said, I have recently been in a similar situation, so, here are my two cents worth of suggestions and things to consider since these are fresh in my mind: An HP Pavilion should have an area of the hard drive for recovery (most likely as a separate partition; if your main drive is called C:, then the recovery partition is likely called D:). Therefore you should be able to re-install the OS and entire computer back to the original factory condition if you want to go that route, by following the mfr suggested method. However, the original factory condition is usually loaded with bloat so you might want to do a clean install instead of an original factory install. Make sure you have the Windows product key from the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker on the computer that you are doing the re-install to, as you will not get anywhere without that. Make sure you copy all the numbers/letters down correctly as a zero and an o look nearly identical for instance. Also, since you will need to re-install all other software, make sure you have all the product keys for anything else such as Microsoft Office, etc. that you will need to re-install, or else you will not be able to re-install them. Hopefully you have disks with product keys. If not, you will need to obtain installation media and determine your product keys prior to re-installing. If the computer is bootable, and you have an external hard drive for backup, I would suggest: 1) Use CCleaner or such to get rid of excess junk on the computer that you are sure you don't want as there is no use backing up junk files you don't want 2) Move all user data that you want to save to the appropriate user folders, such as documents, music, pictures, favorites, etc. Then make a backup of all these folders to the external hard drive. If there is more than one user, make sure you saved data for all. If you have Itunes, de-activate it from the computer. 3) If you have an email client on the computer with emails and contacts you want to save, make a backup of the email and contacts to the external drive (I have used the free KLS mail backup with good results) If you use webmail instead, this likely is not an issue 4) Download Macrium Reflect free edition and make an image of your entire computer disks, including the HP recovery section, saving that to the external hard drive. Hopefully you won't need this, but it will give you a rescue if all else fails. Be sure to make a bootable rescue disk from Macrium as well, as you will need this to recover if your OS re-install doesn't work as planned. Once you have the rescue disk, try booting up with it to make sure it works and your computer boots from the rescue media The easiest is just to use the Linux rescue media (you have a choice of Linux or Windows PE). 5) Decide if you want to install Vista 32 or 64 (depends on your system and software; your COA should work with either - when I re-installed I changed mine from 32 bit to 64 bit as my hardware was capable and I didn't have any software that wouldn't run on the 64 bit, and 64 bit gives me the option to add additional memory for my machine) and download the appropriate files and create a bootable install disk as indicated in the tutorials. 6) When you re-install you will need internet access to perform windows updates and install drivers. So before you re-install, check what video drivers and network drivers (Ethernet and/or wireless LAN drivers) you have by going into control panel device manager. HP likely uses several different mfr devices for your type computer, so you need to know which ones you actually have, that is why you need to look in device manager. Download the drivers from HP for your machine and os and mfr, and keep these handy on the external hard drive or a USB as you will need to install them right away after re-installing your OS, or you will not have internet access. With HP, these are typically a self installing .exe file 7) Make sure your bios is set to boot from your DVD drive (or USB if that is what you chose to create the install from.) 8) Disconnect other peripherals such as USB sticks, the external backup hard drive, etc., and reboot with the install media connected 9)Re-install the OS using your Windows product key from the COA when prompted. 10) Once up and running, install the video and network drivers from the HP .exe files 11) Once you have internet access, continue with Windows updates. There will be many of them. Continue rebooting and rechecking for updates until there aren't any more. This will take hours. 12) If you don't have an antivirus installed by this time, then I suggest installing MS Security essentials from Microsoft.com/security so that you aren't connected to the internet for too long without protection. Once you have Windows clean and running, with all updated drivers, then you can start re-installing software such as MS Office, and continually checking Windows Update, rebooting until that is all installed and clean with all updates. That will take some time as well. 13) Then install other software such as Acrobat reader, etc. from Adobe and whatever else you need. 14) Get your email back up and running, recovering your saved emails and contacts. You will have to re-enter your email provider passwords, etc. 15) Copy your backed up user files such as pictures, favorites, etc., to the new installation. By now you should be almost back to normal, but there will no doubt be things that need adding over the next few days/weeks. 16) Once you have what you think is a good system, be sure to run a command prompt as administrator and do the command sfc /scannow. The results hopefully show no integrity violations. If so, then it is a good time to do another full backup of the entire computer using Macrium Reflect. Save this backup. If you ever have to re-install you can use it as a good clean starting point so that you don't have to reload all the Windows updates and service packs, etc. that just took you hours to install. Plus, you won't have to locate all your product keys again (although I recommend keeping them handy just in case). You should periodically do complete backups with Macrium Reflect. I recommend always doing a sfc /scannow prior to doing so. Otherwise, you may just be backing up corrupted files for quite some time and not even knowing it (I had this problem, and although I had many backups, all were corrupted). Good luck and let us know how it goes!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    hp pavilion dv6500 laptop
    CPU
    AMD
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
Thanks...I really just want to be able to attempt an in place repair/upgrade to fix the messed up files. It would appear that the system has SP2 installed and I doubt the DVD will have that...if it is even available. I will most likely do a clean install of Vista if this does not end well.

My Computer

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 (HDMI)
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST2000NM001 2TB
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Lenovo USB
    Internet Speed
    50MB Down, 10MB Up
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 Pro X64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP xw4400 Workstation
    CPU
    Motherboard
    HP 0A68h
    Memory
    5GB
    Graphics card(s)
    ATI FireGL V3300
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer KN242HYL 24" (KVMS)
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Logitech via KVMS switch
    Keyboard
    Dell USB via KVMS switch
    Internet Speed
    50 Down, 10 Up
    Other Info
I understand, you are trying to keep the pain to a minimum. You did not expand on what problems you are having. Most likely others have had them as well and can give you good advice as to which way to go. What are your system problems? Does running a sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt say you have problems? If not, it may likely be software other than Windows. If you do get integrity problems running that then you need to run that command and reboot about 6X to see if it can fix all the problems. If not, then it is time to try a bigger fix. If it is just a Windows update problem, it is likely something else.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
Well it is a nasty issue. It appeared at first to be a Windows update issue so I tried the "Fixit" fixes and then a couple of other manual ways to get WU to work....but it just keeps on failing. I tried running the scf /scannow with the elevated command prompt but it to will not run as a service (cannot remember the name now) will not start. The system will boot just fine and will start Vista without any issues...other than this WU one. I have scanned it for Malware and it appears clean. The owner brought it to me (elder geek-trusted guru lol) as it was black screening and shutting down. That turned out to be a video card that the fan was dead on and was quite obviously overheating so I replaced that. I still am waiting to see if the owner can find his DVD so that I can move on.

My Computer

What do you mean that sfc /scannow will not run? Surely it runs, but maybe it gives an error message? Post the error message and others can likely help you through it. Note that if you have the original HP installation, the recovery is on the hard drive (separate partition from the OS partition). However, as you noted, it will not include the latest updates and service packs, so it will be somewhat of a hassle, as you will have to install service packs, etc., just as a clean install will be.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
Oh it tries to run...but it does generate an error saying a specific service cannot be run. The system is at work on my test bench. I will have to get the exact error and I will post it here. I have worked on many a system in my day....through win 95 to win 8 and this one is a bit of an odd one. I suspect it was malware caused but that is just speculation at this point.

My Computer

If you assume it was malware that caused the problem, then I assume you have downloaded Malwarebytes and updated it to the latest and then and run a full scan and gotten clean results? Or did it find problems?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
This is really the wrong thread to be discussing how to fix computer problems or resolve malware. Please start a thread in the General discussion forum to continue this. Try to keep posts here on the tutorial subject of creating a installable Vista DVD or flash drive.

Thanks

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 (HDMI)
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST2000NM001 2TB
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Lenovo USB
    Internet Speed
    50MB Down, 10MB Up
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 Pro X64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP xw4400 Workstation
    CPU
    Motherboard
    HP 0A68h
    Memory
    5GB
    Graphics card(s)
    ATI FireGL V3300
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer KN242HYL 24" (KVMS)
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Logitech via KVMS switch
    Keyboard
    Dell USB via KVMS switch
    Internet Speed
    50 Down, 10 Up
    Other Info
I have a Vista Home Premium 32bit .iso with both service packs and updates to November last year if you need it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
Brink I have been trying to download two of the three files for Vista x64 and the links seem to be broken or offline?
Do they have certain times at Digital River that they don't allow? the French and German links are ok.
I need boot and install wim files. the exe file worked just fine.
Larry. in Mission
Great job Rich. :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq SR5510F
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64X Dual
    Motherboard
    MCP61PM-HM (irish8)
    Memory
    2 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 6150SE
    Sound Card
    RealTech ALC888 audio
    Case
    Mid Size ATX
    Keyboard
    Compaq
    Mouse
    Compaq
    Internet Speed
    none
    Other Info
    F11 will not function during boot.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Hello Brink;
Thank you for the information. They just did that in the last day or so as I downloaded 32bit by mistake and went back today for 64 and it was gone. I will put in a quick order as I am sure next that will no longer be available.
Larry

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq SR5510F
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64X Dual
    Motherboard
    MCP61PM-HM (irish8)
    Memory
    2 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 6150SE
    Sound Card
    RealTech ALC888 audio
    Case
    Mid Size ATX
    Keyboard
    Compaq
    Mouse
    Compaq
    Internet Speed
    none
    Other Info
Just got off the phone to Microsoft and they no longer will sell you the replacement media.
Larry

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq SR5510F
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64X Dual
    Motherboard
    MCP61PM-HM (irish8)
    Memory
    2 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 6150SE
    Sound Card
    RealTech ALC888 audio
    Case
    Mid Size ATX
    Keyboard
    Compaq
    Mouse
    Compaq
    Internet Speed
    none
    Other Info
Out of luck they will not sell it either for replacement DVD. just got off the phone with Microsoft.

Hello Larry,

It appears that the Vista boot.wim and install.wim files from DR have been removed by Microsoft along with most of the other Windows 7 ISO files. Currently there's no word on if they will be available again.

If you like, you can still order a replacement DVD from Microsoft for a small fee at the link below.

How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq SR5510F
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64X Dual
    Motherboard
    MCP61PM-HM (irish8)
    Memory
    2 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 6150SE
    Sound Card
    RealTech ALC888 audio
    Case
    Mid Size ATX
    Keyboard
    Compaq
    Mouse
    Compaq
    Internet Speed
    none
    Other Info
That stinks. :(

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Shawn, should probably hide this tutorial then as it's no longer of any use. Ditto for the Win 7 ones.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 (HDMI)
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST2000NM001 2TB
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Lenovo USB
    Internet Speed
    50MB Down, 10MB Up
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 Pro X64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP xw4400 Workstation
    CPU
    Motherboard
    HP 0A68h
    Memory
    5GB
    Graphics card(s)
    ATI FireGL V3300
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer KN242HYL 24" (KVMS)
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Logitech via KVMS switch
    Keyboard
    Dell USB via KVMS switch
    Internet Speed
    50 Down, 10 Up
    Other Info
We'll wait a bit to see what develops. :)

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,