Vista SP1 Slipstream Installation DVD

How to Create a Vista SP1 Slipstream Installation DVD

information   Information
This will show you how to create a Vista installation DVD with the Vista SP1 slipstreamed into it for any 32 and 64 bit version of Vista you want. This DVD will allow you to do a clean install of Vista with the SP1 all at once instead of installing Vista first then the SP1.
Note   Note
This Vista SP1 slipstream installation DVD will also allow you to run a Repair install on Vista with SP1 installed now. Before, you could not use a normal Vista installation DVD ro run a Repair install on Vista with SP1 installed since Vista with SP1 was a new version than what was on the Vista DVD.
Tip   Tip
If you have a Dell OEM computer, then see this link to help you possibly create a sliptream installation DVD from your Dell installation disc.
warning   Warning
You can only make a 64-bit Vista DVD in a installed 64-bit Vista, and only a 32-bit Vista DVD in a installed 32-bit Vista.

REQUIREMENTS:
Microsoft has issued a note to users, of “v-Lited” Windows Vista SP1 installs, having issues upgrading to SP2. Their advice? Reinstall Windows with genuine media. For more on this, see: Short: vLite screws up Windows Vista SP1 upgrade path - Within Windows

Here's How:
Note   Note
You will need to temporarily disable your antivirus program before you start this to prevent possible interference to the vLite program below. This program is safe, but could be mistaken as not by some antivirus programs and prevent you from creating the SP1 slipstream DVD.

1. Copy the Vista Installation DVD Contents to the Desktop
A) Place the retail or OEM (not Recovery) Vista installation DVD into the DVD drive.​
NOTE: If AutoPlay or the Vista install window pops-up, just close it.​
B) Open the Start Menu and click on Computer.​
C) Right click on the DVD drive in Computer with the Vista installation DVD and click on Copy. (See screenshot below)​
Step1.jpg

D) Right click on a empty space on the desktop and click on Paste.​
NOTE: This may take a few minutes to finish copying all of the Vista installation DVD contents to the folder on the desktop.​

2. Download the SP1 Standalone Installer to the Desktop
NOTE: See Requirements at the top of the tutorial for the download links. You will need to select the same 32 bit or 64 bit version of the SP1 as the Vista installation DVD from step 1.​
A) Download and save the SP1 standalone installer to the desktop.​

3. Download and Install the vLite Program
NOTE: See Requirements at the top of the tutorial for the download link.​
A) Right click on the vLite program shortcut and click Run as Administrator.​
B) Click on Allow.​
C) If this window pops-up, then click on the Install button(s) for the missing features needed by vLite. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: If you see the WAIK Download link, then you will need to click on the Install button to download the 1.34GB ISO WAIK file first. Next, follow the instructions at the download link:​
  • Click the Download button on this page to start the download.
  • Click on Save, and save the .iso file to your desktop.
  • Burn the saved .iso file to a DVD. You can use ISO Recorder to do this. This link will show you how to use ISO Recorder.
  • Run the DVD to install WAIK.
WARNING: There is a glitch in the vLite 1.2 version where you may receive an error about WAIK when trying to run vLite. WAIK is not always properly recognized in Vista 32 bit. You may need to manually copy and paste the wimgapi.dll file from WAIK into the root vLite folder (main folder) in C:\Programs for it to work properly.​
Step2.jpg

4. Click on the Browse button. (See screenshot below)​
Step3.jpg

5. Click on the Vista folder (created from step 1) on the desktop and click on the LRMCFRE_EN_DVD folder, then click OK. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: You may have a different name than LRMCFRE_EN_DVD based on your type of Vista installation DVD, but it will be the one right under Vista.​
Step4.jpg

6. Click on the Vista edition that you want to use for the Vista SP1 slipstream DVD to highlight it and click OK. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: You can only have one Vista edition per slipstream DVD. If you want to have more than one Vista edition, then you must repeat this tutorial for each individual Vista edition for their own DVD.​
Step5.jpg

7. Click on the Next button. (See screenshot below)​
Step6.jpg

8. Check both the Service Pack Slipstream and Bootable ISO boxes and click on the Next button. (See screenshot below)​
Step7.jpg

9. Click on the Select button. (See screenshot below)​
Step8.jpg

10. Select the SP1 standalone program (from step 2) on the desktop and click on the Open button. (See screenshot below)​
Step9.jpg

11. Click on Run when this window pops-up in a few seconds. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: This runs the SP1 installer program for the vLite program only. It will not install the SP1 on your computer.​
Step10.jpg

12. This will take around 60 to 120 minutes or so to complete this part. Some older slower systems may take a bit longer. (See screenshot below)​
Enjoy your break. ;)
NOTE: In the Status box, you will see Preparing first, Extracting second, Integrating third, then this below until it is finished with this part. It will seem like it is stuck about 60% of the way, but it is not.​
Step11.jpg

13. When Finished, click on Next. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: If this fails, then verify that you are using the same 32 bit or 64 bit versions of the Vista SP1 and Vista Installation DVD files. If they are not the same, it will fail.​
Step12.jpg

14. Under the General section, make sure that Create Image is selected and click on the Make ISO button. (See screenshot below)​
Step13.jpg

15. If the Created Image is over 4 GB
A) If this window pops-up on you with a similar message after you click on the Make ISO button (from step 14), then click on No and continue to step 16. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: If you do not get the option to make the ISO image smaller, then see:
B) If not, then go to step 19 and skip steps 16, 17, and 18.​
Step14.jpg

16. Dot Rebuild one (Vista edition from step 5) and click OK. (See screenshot below)​
Step15.jpg

17. When finished, click on the Next button. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: This will take a little bit to finish.​
Step16.jpg

18. Under the General section, make sure that Create Image is selected and click on the Make ISO button. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: After the Vista and SP1 image file has been rebuilt to make it smaller, you will return to the same screen in step 14.​
Step13.jpg

19. Select the Desktop and click on the Save button. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: This is where the ISO file will be saved when it is finished being created.​
Step17.jpg

20. When it is finished creating the ISO file, place a blank unformated DVD into the DVD drive.​
NOTE: If AutoPlay pops-up asking you to format the DVD, just close it.​
21. Under the General section, make sure that Burn Image is selected and that you have your DVD drive selected under Device. Click on the Burn button. (See screenshot below)​
Step18.jpg

22. When it is finished making the Vista SP1 Slipstream Installation DVD it will say Write Successful, then click on the Finish or Exit button. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: It will take a few minutes to finish this. When you click Finish, it will close vLite.​
Step19.jpg

23. Remove your new Vista SP1 Slipstream Installation DVD from the DVD drive.​
NOTE: You will use this DVD the same way you did the retail Vista installation DVD.​
24. Do not forget to enable your antivirus program again.​
That's it, your done. Finally. LOL ;)
Shawn

Attachments

• thumb_vista_install_logo.jpg
    thumb_vista_install_logo.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 393
Last edited by a moderator:
My mistake. I have not tried it before with a Academic Edition, but I would imagine that it would.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
I like the idea of making a slipstreamed disk. Just a couple of questions tho

1. Will this proceedure work with a Vista Home Premium AE upgrade DVD?

2. I've seen several posts saying the best way or doing vlite is to DL 1.1.6 and then upgrade it with the 1.2 version to avoid the super sizes WAIK file. Unfortunatly when I go to the site in the guide it only lists the 1.2 version. Where can I find/DL the earlier version?

3. Actually found a link for the files vlite will need so I don't have to DL the 1 gig file but when I go to the Vlite dl site and click any of the 1.2 links I get a 403 error. Is there an alternate download link?

4 If vlite is no longer available is there another app/guide that works for creating a slipstreamed version of Vista upgrade /SP1?

Sincerest Thanks in advance
I went through the same problem with the 1.2 version. I found 1.1.6 on Demonoid and I installed that first and then installed 1.2. Try searching other torrent trackers like mininova or isohunt for a copy.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5630
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66GHz 65nm 667MHz FSB 2MB L2
    Motherboard
    Acer Grapevine Intel i945GM Chipset
    Memory
    2x1GB DDR2 333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated GMA 950 256MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite LCD 16ms
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    200GB 5400rpm Toshiba MK2035GSS ATA-7, 250GB 7200rpm Maxtor External USB Hard Drive
Okay I found 1.2 at majorgeek but may have run into a slight snag. According to Majorgeek it is for use on a system that has vista. Will it run on an XP system? My goal was to create a Vista SP1 upgrade disk so I could then use that to do a clean install on a new computer I've built.

My Computer

Hi,

Haven't tried it on an xp computer , but I believe it would work fine. You are just working on the Vista files copied to your desktop, they are not installed.

Hope it helps

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Okay hope someone can advise me on this. I went thru the process got to the step 13 where it said to click next. At that point I got an error that said make sure your not using a networked drive and to reboot and see if that fixes the problem. I rebooted and relaunched vlite. Selected the vista on my desktop and it poped open the task selection window but now there is no longer an option to slipstream. I did select the the boot option tho to be safe and created the iso.It then let me proceed to create an iso. Is the reason it didn't offer me an option for slipstreaming because It was already done to the copy I have on my desktop? IU can't figure out how to check if the copy on my hd of the vista cd has the files incorporated or not.

I do know that if I put the origonal disk in the drive and check properties it says Used space is 2.49 GB and if I check the properties of the Vista folder on my desktop it says that folder is now 3.0 GB so does that mean the files were added to the desktop copy?

My Computer

Hi Bratboy1,

If you have the ISO file, then most likely the SP1 had already been included.

Unfortunately there is no true way to really tell until you burn the ISO to DVD and install Vista with it, then check the system properties to see if it says Service Pack 1 in it.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Hi bratboy,

If you reopen vLite it will usually carry on where it left off. There is an options tab - if you click that you will see Load Last session at browse option.You would need to uncheck that if you wanted it to start afresh.

If you got to step 13 where it said finished, then it should be ok.

The way to check this is to right click the Vista temp files at that point and see if they are a different size in gb from what you started with.

Since you have gone past that and done the rebuild to your own edidtion, they will now be a different size anyway - so too late to check if SP1 integrated fully.

Like Shawn says, only way to be sure is to install it and see.

I usually disconnect from net and turn off antivirus while vliting.

Hope it helps

SIW2

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
If your not sure, then I would go ahead and do it again to save yourself a DVD and a Vista install that may or may not have the SP1 included.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
I think I managed to create a good version. Have a question tho. A friend of mine has offered to get me a new copy of Full Home Premium w/SP1 Oem for less than 50 bucks. Is there any major diffrence between the Oem and the Academic versions? I ask because if not I'm tempted just because I wouldn't have to go thru the double install routine since my Academic is an upgrade dvd

My Computer

You might keep the one that you have. A OEM version is limited to only being able to be installed on the first computer it is installed and activated on. However, for the price, it may be handy to have for a backup if ever needed.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Open Vlite and take out any ticks under the Options Page and close it down.

Put the Original Vista copy image on your desktop as per Brinks instructions

Open Vlite and select the Image from the desktop. Wiat a few seconds and both COMPONENTS and APPLY buttons become available.

Click APPLY and select (dot the radio button) for Rebuild One (this makes only your version of Vista available in the Desktop image, in my case Ultimate)

Let it build the desktop image and click FINISH and exit Vlite. Your Desktop image of the original Vista disk has now shrunk from about 3.6 Gb to 2.9 Gb

Open Vlite and put the tick back in the OPTIONS box to LOAD LAST SESSION. Close Vlite and open it again

Start following Brink's tutorial, select the desktop image and at the next (Image at item 8 in Brink's tutorial) take OUT the tick under COMPONENTS and have the two ticks, one in SERVICE PACK SLIPSTREAM and the Other BOOTABLE ISO.

You are now following Brink's Tutorial, BUT after selecting the SP1 file to integrate it, it takes over 20 mins before you get the DO YOU WANT TO RUN THIS FILE, so don't panic.

Hmmm....this isn't working as advertised. :confused:

Question...when exactly do you use the above instructions??? Before starting? Or "after" you get to step 15 (which is what I did) and get the over 4gig notification? (Which is what i'm getting)

Also what IS the correct procedure when you don't get the option to shrink the file size as indicated in step 15: "If the created Image is over 4 GB -" (which is happening to me) - Do you close v-lite and use the instructions laid out by Kotuku? If no, what then?

One other thing, somehow I managed to get a shrunk file by hitting the back button after getting the over 4gig notification (don't ask how or why???) but...when I tried to do the "Repair Installation for Vista" the created v-lite disk would not give me the option to choose a Vista edition from step 9 of the "How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista" nor was the "upgrade" option available to me under step 10 of the tutorial. Yet using the non-SP1 (original) disk gives me both those options per the tutorial.

I have Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 installed on my machine. Hmmm...

Help???

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-PC8500 (2x2GHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 (1GHz)
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium - Fatality Pro Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    hp w2207h (22" widescreen)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    One 750GB, 2x500GB Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drives (32meg)
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    "High" Speed DSL? Is that like low speed FIOS?
    Other Info
    Q6600 B3 Revision OC to 3.0GHz
Hi,

Yes Kotuku was saying do that before starting the tutorial.

The idea is to use vlite to rebuild the Vista files on the desktop so they only contain your edition i.e. Ultimate.

Then when you start the tutorial and pick up the Vista files , they are already smaller.

You only have one edition on the vlited dvd if you rebuilt it to only include Ultimate ( dot rebuild one - step 16 ). Don't know what happened to the Upgrade option - perhaps SP1 wasn't properly/ fully integrated - something to do with the Back button and the image mysteriously reducing in size ?

Sorry, you might have to do it again.

SIW2

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Thanks, SIW2

Unfortunately I scrapped everything so I'm in the process of doing the whole thing over (right now i'm on step 12 - waiting for SP1 to finish intergrating). So from there what's the best course of action since I know the file will be over 4gig?

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
OK if the image is going to be over 4gb , you still have to do the rebuild, so at step 15 click No , and dot Rebuild one at step 16 . At step 17 click next.

The Vista files on the desktop will now contain SP1.

May as well go ahead and create the iso anyway - only takes a minute. If it is 4gb or less, burn the image to dvd and that's it.

If it is still too big, close vlite. ( rt click and rename the iso - vlite1.iso will do )

Open vlite again, uncheck the options under the Options tab, and Browse to the rebuilt Vista files.

Click Next, tick Components , Bootable Iso, Enable before Apply.

Click Next , Ok the Compatibility window, tick the Languages box.

Click Apply , Dot rebuild one - ( it will rebuild without the Languages that you weren't going to install anyway - just makes the dvd image smaller ).

Then make another iso and burn the image to the dvd as before.

( The previous iso is there in case there is an unforeseen problem - you may still be able to - just fit it on a dvd and use it. Unless it is only 4gb or less anyway, in which case use that one and don't bother with the language removal )

Hope that helps

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
The problem is...I don't get step 16 after clicking "No" when I get the "larger then 4GB" warning. That's the problem. Where do I go from there???

15. If the Created Image is over 4 GB -
A) If this window pops-up on you with a similar message after you click on the Make ISO button (from step 14), then click on No and continue to step 16. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: If you do not get the option to make the ISO image smaller, then see: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...tml#post842893

B) If not, then go to step 19 and skip steps 16, 17, and 18.
3735d1210034051-vista-sp1-slipstream-installation-dvd-step14.jpg

After clicking no on this box step 16 doesn't show up. That's the problem.

What's the best course of action then, because Kotuku's instructions don't seem to work as advertised. Where do I go from here?

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Hi,

Did you do the kotuku thing before starting , and it's still big?

Ok go to step 19 and make the iso. (Just click yes and go ahead anyway if that's the only option). Then right click the iso and see how big it is under properties.

Also , right click the Vista files on the desktop and see how big they are.

SIW2

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Hi,

Did you do the kotuku thing before starting , and it's still big?

Ok go to step 19 and make the iso. Then right click the iso and see how big it is under properties.

Also , right click the Vista files on the desktop and see how big they are.

SIW2

Tried doing kotuku's thing first! The problem is this step doesn't show up:
"Open Vlite and select the Image from the desktop. Wiat a few seconds and both COMPONENTS and APPLY buttons become available." no matter what I try. Yes, I'm using vlite version 1.2

Also I'm assuming SP1 intergrated with the copied files form the original DVD since the file size went from 3.56 to 4.41GB

I don't know what I could be missing that I'm not getting the shrink option.

Oh...thanks for your patience and help btw.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
OOPS , instructions from Kotuku not clear - you wait a few seconds for the Vista files to load, then click Next to get the Components etc checkboxes - didn't notice he'd missed that bit out. Think he meant the Next and Apply buttons become available, so click Next.

If the Vista files are 4.41gb , they must include SP1, so follow previous instruction to remove Languages and rebuild one . This will reduce the size by over 1gb. Then make and burn iso.

If it is still too big, close vlite. ( rt click and rename the existing iso if you have made one - vlite1.iso will do )

Open vlite again, uncheck the options under the Options tab, and Browse to the rebuilt Vista files.

Click Next, tick Components , Bootable Iso, Enable before Apply.

Click Next , Ok the Compatibility window, tick the Languages box.

Click Apply , Dot rebuild one - ( it will rebuild without the Languages that you weren't going to install anyway - just makes the dvd image smaller ).

Then make another iso and burn the image to the dvd as before.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
I think I got it now. Seems Kotuku did miss an important step. Now I can see where you shrink the size of the file by removing stuff. Phew...Thought it was me :)

I'll post my updated instructions later (maybe).

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Back