Vista Taskbar now a light gray

1. Go to Personalization
2. Windows Color and Appearance
3. Click on "Open classic appearance properties for more color options"
4. Set the color theme to Windows Vista Basic.

Oh wow..... Wow. It works! Thank you so much.

Although the windows look retarded with blue.. but oh well. At least bottom is black.

Yeah, I got used to the blue, but the changing black and grey, just no way :)

My Computer

Sorry if this post is irrellavent since it is 1/2 a year later than the last post, but i just experienced this problem after i installed the new Nvidia Drivers for my GForce GTX 275 (191.07). I noticed that both my taskbar and the top bar on my firefox web browser turned a light/pale gray which would not change if i had a window maximized or not.

I tried the instructions above but was not able to locate the "Open classic appearance properties for more color options".

I then found out that somehow windows had switched off of the Aero Theme/Setting after i installed the new drivers. I switched back and forth between Windows Classic and Windows Vista Theme a few times and then was able to switch back to the Aero theme which allowed me to access the "Open classic appearance properties for more color options". However, i found that the last step in the above instructions were not needed because once i switched back to Aero, the gray bar issue was back to my normal black (graphite) option that I picked. This changed the color and transparency of my taskbar, as well as the color of the top bar of my Firefox browswer, back to black.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but this is how it happend with me, and how i was able to fix it.

My Computer

Back