Solved Vista To Windows 10 File Transferring

When townsbg said "USB drive", yes that could be an external hard drive. It could also refer to the very popular and convenient so-called flash drive (or key drive, thumb drive, etc.)...the modern replacement for the floppy disk.
You are correct about how to use the hard drive enclosure. But you need to know the specifics of your drive in order to select the correct enclosure. The one you linked may or may not work, it's for a 2.5 inch drive, but your tower may have a 3.5 inch drive. Since you're just going to keep the old computer around for a while, I wouldn't recommend to try to remove the old drive, buy an enclosure, etc.
Instead just get an external USB drive like mentioned above, easily available at local big box and office supply stores.
Plus you can use it for system backups, extra storage, etc. The flash drive capacity of course is quite a bit less than a hard drive, but might be enough for file transfers.

Thank you, virtual6. I have decided what I'm going to do now with your help and the help of the others who have given me information in this thread.

My Computer

That is somewhat true however there are limitations as to what numbers you can use or should use. You have to have a good networking background to know what numbers to choose. Using a router that automatically assigns ip addresses would be simpler.

That link is the general idea for a hard drive enclosure but that specific model is for a 2.5" hard drive which are usually found in laptops. You would likely need one a 3.5" for drives which are found in a desktop.

Townsbg, makes total sense, and I really appreciate all of your help. Going to close this thread out now as 'Solved' since I have all the information I need to do that transfer. Thanks again.

My Computer

If you are talking about the range, then you can choose any range that fits into one of the allowed ranges. It does not matter if every household in the street, (or town), choose the same range, because of the way things are set up they will never interfere.

If you are talking about assigning IP addresses to individual computers within a local segment, (LAN), if you allocate the same number to two or more devices these will clash and fail to work, all addresses used on a segment must be unique, so it is best to make a note of the addresses you allocate

If you are using a router you can set this to allocate numbers for you using DHCP, (Dynamic Host Control Protocol), where you set the device settings to automatic and the router assigns each device a unique number, (this system allocates on a first come first serve basis and also withdraws addresses if they are not used, so over time a single device can have a range of addresses but only one at a specific time). You can also fix some devices to a specific address which is useful for network printers and such

Nigel, I appreciate the detailed explanation, and I will use it. Going to close out this thread as 'Solved' now since I have all the information I need to do the transfer. Thanks again.

My Computer

Back