Window Experience Index Scores

exp_index2.jpg

Ok heres my new 'Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB' Drive, yes ive just installed vista on it so havent got the graphics card drivers on yet lol

Last edited:

My Computer

All 5.9s' except processor, 5.8

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    i7 940 @ 4GHz (193 x 21) w/CNPS9900LED
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe (BIOS 1604)
    Memory
    6GB (3x2GB) Corsair DDR3-1600 @ 8-8-8-21-1N
    Graphics Card(s)
    Tri-Fire 4870x2 + 4870 1GB
    Sound Card
    Azun Prelude 7.1 + Inspire T6200 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 3008WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1600
    Hard Drives
    300GB WD VelicoRaptor
    PSU
    SilverStone DA 1200
    Case
    CM HAF 932
    Cooling
    3x230mm 1x140mm 1x120mm
    Keyboard
    G15 Gaming KB
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
wei.jpg

This is my first post here. I came across these forums when googling to find out why my new DDR2-1000 RAM was scoring a 5.0. It turns out it was due to me enabling the "SLI Memory" setting in the BIOS. When I set the timings manually it scored a 5.9. Go figure!

Anyway, specs are:
Vista Ultimate x64
Q6600 G0 @ 3.0GHz 1333 FSB (Ultra-120 Extreme cooled)
4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15
EVGA 680i SLI P31 BIOS
EVGA 7900GTO 512MB (w/Zalman VF-900Cu)
3x80GB Hitachi 7K80 SATA-II in RAID-0
500GB Seagate SATA-II Storage
Plextor PX-716SA
SB Audigy 2 (w/X-Fi driver set)
Antec P180
Enermax Liberty 500w PSU
Dell 2407WFP LCD
Logitech G15 Keyboard and G3 Mouse

My Computer

Thanks. I also didn't realize that the gaming graphics score is influenced by CPU speed as well. I guess I should have assumed as much, but it was nice to see my gaming graphics score go from 5.8 to 5.9 with the speed bump on the Q6600 from 2.4GHz to 3GHz. :D

I know these numbers really don't mean much, and obviously someone with a 5.6 but with an 8800-series card would still rock games faster than me, but the OCD side of me was happy to get all the numbers maxed.

My Computer

Good work Solema!

Curious though that you can get maximum score with a Q6600. What about a QX6850 or the X6800. They should be at least 20-30 percent faster than an overclocked Q6600 and should score between 7 and 8 points. But i never saw scores as high as that. Your 5.9 seems to be the maximum. Microsoft will have to calibrate its score system in order to allow even faster processors...

My Computer

highest right now is 5.9 and ur using a ZALMAN to keep the CPU cool right?
i got a q6600 and the fan and heatsink that came with it sucks..you can overclock at all with it

My Computer

You asking me, Mathews? I'm using a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, currently one of, if not the best, air coolers on the market. I used to use a Zalman on my FX-60 rig, but they are geared more toward quiet, effective cooling than all-out performance. With the Ultra-120, you can use any 120mm fan you want, and the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F is what many people, including myself, use. It's an awesome combo and lets you push the CPU pretty hard.

But yeah, NEVER use stock cooling if you plan to overclock. Also use Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste instead of the generic stuff. It can make a difference.

My Computer

mine:
vistascoreeb4.jpg

thats with an overclocked E6550 C2D 2.33Ghz @ 2.80Ghz and everything else at stock speeds.

BTW: i know that this might not be the best place to ask, but is there a way i can overclock my CPU (increasing the bus speed not multiplier because the multiplier is locked on my CPU) without it automatically turning up the FSB speed?

My Computer

^ Well if u increase the Bus speed then the FSB Speed also will go up especially since your Multiplier is Locked (@7) and cannot go down or up.
What you can do is play around with the FSB : DRAM ratio so u can increase ur FSB speed w/o increasing the memory speed too much.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
    XBOX 360 Controller | Vista X64 | Simpledrive 500GB
^ Well if u increase the Bus speed then the FSB Speed also will go up especially since your Multiplier is Locked (@7) and cannot go down or up.
What you can do is play around with the FSB : DRAM ratio so u can increase ur FSB speed w/o increasing the memory speed too much.
Ok thanks, and do i need to change the FSB's voltage if i overclock the CPU? how do i know how much it needs? However im not too keen on changing the FSB's voltage so i would prefer not to change it if i could but ofcourse thats not always an option lol. Oh and also, this may sound stupid but i have an 8800GTS graphics card which i am really afraid to damage or break. I have its frequency set to 100Mhz in the BIOS, when i overclock the CPU the Graphics card's speeds are not changed at all are they? I only ask because the RAM's speed does change and so does the FSB.

-Thanks

My Computer

Any idea why on a Lenovo T61p running Vista Ultimate x64 and increasing from 2 to 4 GB of memory the Windows Experience Score would remain the same (4.8) with the memory score as the lowest (i.e., limiting) factor? The system does recognize the full amount of memory.

Thanks.

My Computer

Any idea why on a Lenovo T61p running Vista Ultimate x64 and increasing from 2 to 4 GB of memory the Windows Experience Score would remain the same (4.8) with the memory score as the lowest (i.e., limiting) factor? The system does recognize the full amount of memory.

Thanks.
wait, is the memory not recognized or just that theres no improvement from your previous score. It's because it tests the speed of the RAM not the amount.

My Computer

Your assessment is correct: it recognizes the memory, but the score does not improve.

I have seen in other forums a similarly spec'ed T61p, with the same memory amount (4gb), and a much higher Windows Experience Index score. I am trying to understand how their score could have improved, while my machine's score remained unchanged. Since the memory speed is rated at 667 mHz, (? bus speed limited), and that is what is installed, I guess I must be limited by that factor, correct?

Thx. -- Mike

My Computer

Another reason to keep your firmware/software as up to date as possible. I recently flashed my BIOS and my processor score went from 5.2 to 5.3. Not a huge deal, but a reminder that cutting edge hardware is improved via firmware/driver almost daily, and most of us are using modern hardware.

My Computer

I understand that need, and in fact, updated my BIOS just yesterday to the latest version Lenovo has. Unfortunately, that has not improved my WEI score.

My Computer

Mccoy,

the 4 gb will never ever give you a speed improvement, merely speed up if different processes are at work at the same time. If your score is bad (and it is) then the problem lies elsewhere.

Maybe it is best to put here the other hardware that you use (if not already done).

François

My Computer

Judging from the last post, my WEI will not improve, then.

I have a new Lenovo (10/25/2007) T61p (6459CTO)
WEI Scores are
Processor: [Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz]: 5.1
Memory (RAM): [3.93 GB]: 4.8
Graphics: [NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M]: 5.9
Gaming graphics: [2015 MB Total available graphics memory]: 5.5
Primary hard disk: [106GB Free (178GB Total)]: 5.4

Not that I am finding fault with the machine, for it is a very nice laptop; I had somehow expected to have an improvement in the WEI with adding more memory (came with 2GB, and I increased that to 4GB).

Thanks!

My Computer

Back