Solved windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown - BlueScreen

Fred22

I've had several of these "blue screen of death" shutdowns" in the last couple of weeks. I'm trying to figure out if it's a software or hardware issue. The computer is a 10 year old HP running Vista. I'm backing everything up, just in case...figure I'll need to buy a new one soon. My major concern is our Comcast email account as the Win 10 email is useless, but that's another issue. If anyone has any suggestions for trouble shooting these shutdowns, I'd appreciate it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron Laptop
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Fred
If you would be kind enough to provide the following information, one of our members would be glad to try and help.
http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/282419-blue-screen-death-bsod-posting-instructions.html

I downloaded the files. They are on my desktop. Now how do I get them to you? One is sfDebug files the other is a zip file Fred PC. How do I upload them to you? I'm now on my laptop at the gmail address. I saved the zip file but the other file would not go as an attachment. I assume all you need is the zip file (DEbug)?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron Laptop
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
Is this all the info you need to help me solve my problem?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron Laptop
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
I was instructed to run the BSOD app again, which I did. The results are above. Do you need anything more?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron Laptop
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
Fred,
The cause of your problem is a microsoft driver. This driver cannot be removed or changed. In this situation, a conflicting driver may be present. Run driver verifier and then report.
For Vista and Seven
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Fred, if you made any changes, new software etc, this is most likely the software that has the problem driver.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I ran driver verifier, but could not find Intel on list. I checked everything listed as Microsoft, clicked finish, rebooted. Everything loaded, but then had another shutdown right after that. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron Laptop
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
This is how driver verifier works. You run it for about a day or so; the longer the better. It looks for bad drivers. If it finds one that is weak you will BSOD. Give me the results of the last BSOD. If it is different from the one that caused the prior BSOD, we may be on to something.
We are not looking for a Microsoft Driver. Your BSOD was caused by a MS driver. I know which one, but we cannot remove or change a MS driver. Another driver (one we are looking for) is causing the MS driver to BSOD

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Do I need to go back and run verifier again and uncheck Microsoft boxes. PC is running very slow...has been since I started getting these BSOD crashes. Is there anything I can do to speed it up, or is it time to replace my 10 year old HP desktop?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron Laptop
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
The directions are to check the boxes that are not provided by Microsoft.
So yes, you need to re-do the check-boxes.

Ten years is pretty good service from a laptop. Many advancements have been made in that time, both in CPU and the OS, and you would be surprised at the speed of a new laptop.

My Computer

This is an HP desktop and now the black ink cartridge won't work, so may have to replace PC as finding a compatible printer would probably be impossible. Don't remember how to run verifer (which could be a mute point now that the printer has died). Please re-post verifier directions when you get the time, just in case.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron Laptop
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
The direction for verifier can still be found in the original post that contained the directions. Just click on the link.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I ran a system restore yesterday, ran verifier this morning and all the boxes were unchecked and message said all drivers verified or something to that effect. That's all it would do. PC is running faster now, but had a crash yesterday, plus my printer went out...time for new desktop I'm afraid.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron Laptop
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
Update...I did a System Restore back to the date of my last Windows update and the computer is running fast again, all the check marks I made disappeared and when I run verifier now, it just says, "all drivers verified"....could have been the last update that was causing problems?...don't know. I'm still backing up all important files, etc. because this is a 10 year old desktop...can't last forever, I know.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron Laptop
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
Back