Windows Update

ByLine
How to Hide or Unhide a Windows Update in Vista
Synopsis
This will show you how to hide a Windows Update so it will not show up again in the available updates list to be installed. If you change your mind, this will show you how to unhide it.
How to Hide or Unhide a Windows Update in Vista

information   Information
This will show you how to hide a Windows Update so it will not show up again in the available updates list to be installed. You can unhide the Windows Update to allow it to be in the list again if you wanted to install it later.
Tip   Tip
For a complete list of Windows Updates with descriptions, see: ITsVISTA: Windows Updates

OPTION ONE
How to Hide a Windows Update

1. Open the Control Panel. (Classic View)​
2. Click on the Windows Update icon.​
3. Click on View available updates. (See screenshot below)​
View Updates.jpg

4. Right click on the update you want to hide, and click Hide update. (See screenshot below)​
5. Click the red X button in the upper right corner to close the window.​
Hide update.jpg

OPTION TWO
How to Unhide a Windows Update

1. Open the Control Panel. (Classic View)​
2. Click on the Windows Update Icon.​
3. Click on Restore hidden updates. (See screenshot below)​
Restore option.jpg

4. Check the update you want to restore and click Restore button. (See screenshot below)​
Restore update.jpg

5. You will now be taken back to the original Update window with Windows Update checking for updates. (See screenshot below)​
Checking.jpg

6. When done, your hidden update will now be listed in the available update list.​
That's it,
Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:
Shawn Brink

Comments

Hello Sanskeen, and welcome to Vista Forums.

For your screenshot, you would click on either the # important update is available or # optional updates are available links to see the "view available updates" instead. They open the same window, but different sections of it for what type (ex: critical, important, or optional) of update it is.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

:rolleyes: :confused:
I am not good at interpreting what the computer experts (such as you) may mean. I did go to the Update page again & clicked on both optional & important. I do not see what you do!!! Here are the screenshots:

win update option.JPG

win update important.JPG

This has me very confused as I am very literal and I take the steps that are given to me. I do not make any assumptions as I fear losing something important! The
problem is that you show a View Available Updates and I don't see that.

Anything more? Can you tell me what "infrared receiver" is & whether I need it!!!??

What you see in your screenshots are the updates that are available for you to select (check) and install.

OK, I just followed your instructions to click on the update. I thought it was going to go to: View Available Updates. Since it did not show that, I stopped, thinking I was doing something wrong.

So, I just went into Update again, clicked on the IE9 update, then right clicked that again. A small box opened with:
Copy details
Hide Update
I clicked on Hide & now the IE9 update is gone. And, I learned something new AGAIN.

Thanks for the assist.
:) :D

Hello Shawn

Great tutorial, I just learned to do this about a month ago myself. This will help a lot of people with hiding the junk that M/S wants us to update all the time...

Awesome tutorial

Tom
americancritic

Hello Shawn

Great tutorial, I just learned to do this about a month ago myself. This will help a lot of people with hiding the junk that M/S wants us to update all the time...

Awesome tutorial

Tom
americancritic
Like MSE Definition updates :sarc:

Jokes* Yeah I have to agree with it though ;)

Hello Josh,

Without out the MSE updates, your system would be vulnerable to malware.

This is great for optional updates that you do not want to install and do not want to have to look at each time you check for new updates. However, important and critical updates should be installed to help keep Windows secured and updated/patched. :)

What you see in your screenshots are the updates that are available for you to select (check) and install.
I know this is old, but I found it easily, and I'm so very happy it worked! Thanl you for the clear, easy-to-follow instructions.

Kewpielou