Windows Vista Home Premium Won’t Start

CherieM

Upon shutting down my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5895) via the Start Menu --àShutdown method, and when starting laptop back up about 5 hours later, laptop automatically went into “Windows Error Recovery” mode, as shown below:

Laptop1.jpg

So, I highlighted and started Windows in Normal mode, and then laptop went to “Windows Boot Manager”, which I got the following error:

Laptop2.jpg

So, I manually pressed the power button to shutdown and restart my computer, only to get the same two modes a couple of times each, so I shutdown my laptop using the power button, which was the only way I had to shut it down during these mode windows, as far as I could tell.

A couple of hrs later, I powered up my laptop and got the following error:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.05 (071227)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

When restarting laptop and hitting F2 (InsydeH20 Setup Utility), the “MAIN” reads:

CPU Type: AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
CPU Speed: 2.00 GHz
Hard Disk Drive: None
Optical Disk Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L632P(PM)
Total Memory: 3072 MB
System BIOS Version: 1.50

All other Categories (Advanced, Display, Security, Boot) are loaded into “Setup Defaults” mode.

Then, not knowing what else to do, I bought a Windows Vista 64-bit Repair CD through Ebay, to see what and if that would help, since I did not get a Windows Vista CD and did not make any startup/recovery discs of my own. After “Windows is loading files….” (White bar shows files loading) and after files load, I am able to see the Windows Vista Install window, and when I enter Language, Time & Currency and Keyboard data and click NEXT, I am then able to enter into “Repair your computer”. When I click on “Repair your computer”, the “System Recovery Options” does not show an “Operating System” listed, and when I click on “Load Drivers”, then it reads “Insert the installation media for the device and click OK to select the driver”, which I am not familiar on how to “Add Drivers” if needed or how to see Drivers on my computer, but if I click on “OK” then it goes to “sources” file and lists various Folders and “Setup information” icons. If I click “CANCEL” on the “Add Drivers” window, I am able to go into “System Recovery Options”, but I am not sure what to do to be able to get my laptop to functioning correctly. I am almost 100% sure that I have Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop. Can someone please help me get my laptop back to running correctly??

Thanks, Cherie M.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite/Model PFLC0U-01S01F
    CPU
    AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60/Vista Home Premium
    Motherboard
    L305D-S5895
    Memory
    3072 MB

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Thanks, townsbg, I will do that now and report my findings/experience.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    L305D-S5895
    Memory
    3072 MB
After clicking on the “Manually Restore the Registry From it’s Backup in Windows (Windows 7/Vista) link that you gave me, I then did the steps according to it’s directions: [h=2]1. Accessing the System Recovery Options (Done).[/h][h=2]2. Opening a Command Prompt, I discovered the Command Prompt showed:
Laptop3.jpg[/h]
[h=2]3. Check each drive's layout to find the Windows directory, I then typed the command of c: after the X:\SOURCES> or X:\SOURCES>c: & it read:
Laptop4.jpg[/h][h=2]So, I typed in d: after the X:\SOURCES> or X:\SOURCES>d: & it read:
Laptop5.jpg[/h][h=2]However, it is not showing a <DIR> for Windows but it does show:[/h][h=2]Volume in drive D is WINVISTA64BIT, & drive C is showing “The device is not ready”. How do I find the Windows <DIR>, since step 4 (Change directories to the <drive letter>:\Windows\System32\ directory) cannot be completed ??[/h]

[h=2][/h]

[h=2][/h]
[h=2][/h]

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    L305D-S5895
    Memory
    3072 MB
I am not sure why but these disks have different drive letter than what you see from in windows. Your d-drive appears to be the restore partition; do not mess with that. Using a regular command line I was able to list the filesystems first by typing in diskpart and then list volume in the second box. Try that. You can also try typing in cd %SYSTEMDRIVE% but that value is stored in the registry so it might not work. If neither works you'll just have to try different drive letters.

Note be very careful what you type in the diskpart window.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Thanks townsbg!! My brother-in-law works at acomputer company and is the one that “threw” this laptop together, so there isno telling LOL unfortunately, he doesn’t have time to helpme anymore!! Anyways, I am sorry that it is taking me so much time to respond, I work 24/7 it seems. Ok, going back into “System Recovery Options”and “Command Prompt” and typing in what you recommended…..will report back, asap.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    L305D-S5895
    Memory
    3072 MB
Using a regular command line, I typed in diskpart and then list volume in the second box and got the following:

Diskpart 1.jpg

I also tried typing in cd %SYSTEMDRIVE% and got the following screen (2 screenshots = top and lower of the same screen):

Diskpart2.jpg

Diskpart3.jpg

I also tried different drive letters (except D drive = restore partition, and you said “do not mess with that.” On different drive letters (a through z), I got the following....

Different Drives.jpg

....with all drive letters after h = the same results of “The system cannot find the drive specified”, EXCEPT for x drive = X:\Sources>, c drive = The device is not ready, & d drive (as pictured at the beginning of this response). Did I do it correctly?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    L305D-S5895
    Memory
    3072 MB
BIOS can't find the hard drive.

Could be any number of reasons. Not uncommon after a laptop is dropped. Might just need the cables checking.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Thanks SIW2, I have checked all the cables and they are good to go. However, I think I will open the back of the laptop/go into it to see if there are any loose connections/dust/cat hair, etc., etc keeping it from working properly.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    L305D-S5895
    Memory
    3072 MB
Back