ATI Crossfire Info

Thank you for you info. When i went in to ati CCC i looked at the hardware tab and it was blank maybe the driver was getting installed with errors, i wiped everything rebooted and installed 7.12 rebooted again and hooked up both cards everything works YAY.

I have one more questions i sound like such a noob but well i am when it comes to crossfire. I get slightly worse performance in crysis v1.1 and lord of the rings online when crossfire is enabled. all my other games run great but its hard to tell since i was able to run everything else on max with my x1950xtx before i upgraded. Do you think those hotfix's will help. What can cause the drop in performance or no performance gain???

P.S. My mobo was a ati xpress 3200 which was renamed to current 580x from all the info i can find it's supposed to be crossfire X capable, it's the same board ati uses in there animation thing for explaining how crossfire works. so my point is..... shouldn't i be getting the most performance possible from these two cards???

It really depends. The hotfixes are going to help, or at least not hurt. I know there were some fixes out for the Crysis issues, which I think are covered in that link I sent you. A quick google search on it might help. I don't have Crysis, so I don't know much about what to tell you. This thread might provide some insight to you, though it looks like Crysis is still having multi-GPU issues: AMD Game Forums - Crossfire boosted in Crysis patch 1.1 DX10.

As for performance, like I said, it depends. Some of it comes down to how good the coding for the program was. Also, it will depend on how good the Crossfire profile is. You should get better performance, but there are certainly times where it doesn't give better performance (though it won't often get worse, unless the coding is terrible).

Watch for Catalyst 8.1. Should be out by the end of this week, I'd guess. Maybe beginning of next week. Either way, it'll be that much more important for you to keep the drivers updated now that you have Crossfire (I'd recommend staying away from betas, though).

My Computer

ok. thanks again for the info. I did some searching and found that crysis is just a blackhole of mem leaks and other problems. as far as lord of the rings, i can't find any of the same issues. Hope the new drivers help me. i hate to have wasted money on 2 cards when 1 works the same or better.

My Computer

Hi Everyone,

I have the same problem as original post here.
Under Vista X64 when I enable Crossfire I got a BSoD.
I had to get via Safe Mode and eliminate Catalyst and Get back to last drivers which were the ones included in Microsoft "ATI update".

Try to install again Catalyst and now can't get any of Catalyst applicacion to start. I could fix my resolution through Vista Desktop but no way to able Crossfire again.

Is anybody could fix that?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K-E Wifi
    Memory
    8gb OZC
    Graphics Card(s)
    2: MSI HD 2600XT
    Hard Drives
    Maxtor Sata 160gb
    Western Digital Sata 500gb
How much RAM you got? Move to the Catalyst 8.3 drivers and you should be fine.

Actually, I think 8.2 was the first time it worked happily for me. That and with SP1.

My Computer

How much RAM you got? Move to the Catalyst 8.3 drivers and you should be fine.

Actually, I think 8.2 was the first time it worked happily for me. That and with SP1.

Sorry I did not realize my Signature with my Rig Description was not posted.
Here it is:
MB: ASUS P5K-E WIFI AP 775
BIOS: Beta V 1006
CPU: INTEL Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775
RAM: 8 gb = OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2-800 CL 5-6-6-18 Dual Channel Kit
Video 1 : MSI Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDMI HDCP & CrossFire
Video 2 : MSI Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDMI HDCP & CrossFire
HD 1 : Maxtor 160GB SATA 3.0GB
HD 2 : Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
DVD : LiteOn DVD Writer 20x Lightscribe Sata
Case: Raidmax Ninja ATXN819WBP
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
OS 1 : Win XP PRO Sp2 on HD1
OS 2 : Vista Home Pre 64 bits
Monitor :Samsung SyncMaster 226WB connected to DVI

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K-E Wifi
    Memory
    8gb OZC
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Maxtor Sata 160gb
Yeah, install SP1 and Catalyst 8.2 (or 8.3 if you want). As you can see, I'm in a similar position as far as GPUs go, though I come up a bit short of your RAM and I've got it working, so we'll assume it's possible.

My Computer

Thks FightingStallion,

I already have Vista Sp1 installed so I will eliminate all ATI application and Drivers and go to V8.3 that I already download.

Any recommendation to make sure nothing from Old Catalyst Software and Drivers included the ones from Microsoft Sp1, make future conflicts?

I will advise for historial on this problem for other user as soon as I can do that, and have result which could take quiet a time because I do not have, unfortunatly, much time to spend on my new rig, (Familly priorities first).

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K-E Wifi
    Memory
    8gb OZC
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Maxtor Sata 160gb
Fair enough. Honestly, I never worried about uninstalling previous versions, so it shouldn't make much of a difference (though maybe I was just lucky).

If it doesn't work with 8GB, try with 6GB. There's a chance they're still figuring out how to use that much.

My Computer

I was also having issues with crossfire and ram but mine went away when I installed SP1 and changed my ram settings in my bios from 64bit OS to 32bit OS, I know it is BS that I had to do it even when running a 64bit system but it stopped it from BlueScreening. Also I'm not sure what v. of Catalyst I'm running (I'm @ work) but when I tried to upgrade it would crash.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    RJ's Toyz/HOTROD
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Extreme Q9650 @ 3.8GHz
    Motherboard
    DFI LanParty UT P45-T2RS
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB w/AC Accelero XTREME cooler
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Audidy2 ZS w/ Fatal1ty I/O panel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" and 22" Acer LCDs
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 / 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2TB (2 X 1TB) SATA Seagate Barracudas
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF932
    Cooling
    VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2I 92mm TE CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 Gamer
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 @28grams
    Internet Speed
    very very very slow
    Other Info
    3DMARK06 = 23114
Thks Fatboy for your post back.

Actually I'd rather keep my 8GB RAM under Vista x64 instead of a gain in video with Crossfire in case there is no other solution. I prefer speed vs resolution, and I read in some forum that Crossfire does not really give a significatif gain in Video.
And I have not seen any option in BIOS of my MoBo regarding RAM set 64 or 32 bit, there is only an option to enable for the Intel CPU for EM64T.

What I do not understand from your comment is:
You had your BIOS set for a 64bit OS and you switch back to 32bit???
So, did you also desinstalled your OS from 64bit and installed a 32bit version? Or just using your XP Pro.
Actually even after making these changes you cannot update your catalyst, I'm sorry to ask that but are you trying with a Catalyst Version for 64bit OS or 32bit OS?
Do you use Vista x64 having BIOS set for a 32bit OS?

I have the same OSs than you have Vista x64 and XP Pro x32, under XP no problem at all except that it is my understanding that XP is not compatible with Crossfire, evenso the option is active in Catalyst under this OS, actually I have it ON but I do not really know if the performance went up because so far I spent all my time trying to install Vista.
And of course XP recognize only 3.5GB of the 8 I have installed.

So far I played Battlefied 2 + Special Op for 4 hours on VISTA x64 with no problem except some little white square sometimes but much faster on Map load than under XP, and image much better than my old PC with also XP Pro x32. And Also Microsoft Rallye Game (kind of old) but no problem to work on Vista. For both game I set almost everything in Video on High with 1280x720 60frame resolution for my 22" monitor. and as I said it looks good for me.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K-E Wifi
    Memory
    8gb OZC
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Maxtor Sata 160gb
Thks Fatboy for your post back.

Actually I'd rather keep my 8GB RAM under Vista x64 instead of a gain in video with Crossfire in case there is no other solution. I prefer speed vs resolution, and I read in some forum that Crossfire does not really give a significant gain in Video.
And I have not seen any option in BIOS of my MoBo regarding RAM set 64 or 32 bit, there is only an option to enable for the Intel CPU for EM64T.

What I do not understand from your comment is:
You had your BIOS set for a 64bit OS and you switch back to 32bit???
So, did you also desinstalled your OS from 64bit and installed a 32bit version? Or just using your XP Pro.
Actually even after making these changes you cannot update your catalyst, I'm sorry to ask that but are you trying with a Catalyst Version for 64bit OS or 32bit OS?
Do you use Vista x64 having BIOS set for a 32bit OS?

I have the same OSs than you have Vista x64 and XP Pro x32, under XP no problem at all except that it is my understanding that XP is not compatible with Crossfire, evenso the option is active in Catalyst under this OS, actually I have it ON but I do not really know if the performance went up because so far I spent all my time trying to install Vista.
And of course XP recognize only 3.5GB of the 8 I have installed.

So far I played Battlefield 2 + Special Op for 4 hours on VISTA x64 with no problem except some little white square sometimes but much faster on Map load than under XP, and image much better than my old PC with also XP Pro x32. And Also Microsoft Rallye Game (kind of old) but no problem to work on Vista. For both game I set almost everything in Video on High with 1280x720 60frame resolution for my 22" monitor. and as I said it looks good for me.
No I didn't switch to a 32bit OS I've only set my ram in my bios for a 32bit OS (it changes how the PC utilizes ram) I'm still showing 4Gb of ram w/sp1
I can see the difference with crossfire enabled. I run Crysis, DiRT, and NFS Pro street w/everything on high w/ 4x'sAA @ 1680 X 1050 on a 22" LCD
Who told you XP is no compatible with crossfire? I run it on mine.
Oh and now that I home so I can check I run Catalyst v.7.12

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    RJ's Toyz/HOTROD
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DFI LanParty UT P45-T2RS
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" and 22" Acer LCDs
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF932
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 Gamer
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 @28grams
    Internet Speed
    very very very slow
    Other Info
    3DMARK06 = 23114
[Quote:Who told you XP is no compatible with crossfire? I run it on mine.]
I read it on some forum, but may be it wasn't true. Good to know it will work for me too.

[Quote: Oh and now that I home so I can check I run Catalyst v.7.12]
I have the Catalyst v8.3. I will try to reinstall because I am not sure the Version I download was for 64bit. I've got one now that is for sure, hope this will work.
Could take weeks because I do not have much time to switch on my new PC, but I will post the result when I'm done.

Thanks

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K-E Wifi
    Memory
    8gb OZC
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Maxtor Sata 160gb
I get BSOD with all the Cat 8.0's :(

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    RJ's Toyz/HOTROD
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DFI LanParty UT P45-T2RS
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" and 22" Acer LCDs
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF932
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 Gamer
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 @28grams
    Internet Speed
    very very very slow
    Other Info
    3DMARK06 = 23114
Good to know I will go back to v7.2 in case I gt BSoD.

Thks for the advise

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K-E Wifi
    Memory
    8gb OZC
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Maxtor Sata 160gb

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    RJ's Toyz/HOTROD
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DFI LanParty UT P45-T2RS
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" and 22" Acer LCDs
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF932
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 Gamer
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 @28grams
    Internet Speed
    very very very slow
    Other Info
    3DMARK06 = 23114
Hey Fatboy

Need your Help.

So I installed Catalyst 8.3 for x64 OS everything was fine even the Crossfire Option was already activated when I furst run catalyst, so I supposed it recognized my hardware.

I play some games for a while. But this morning when I start Visra again after loading BSoD =
STOP: 0X0000007E (0XFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0X00000000000000, 0XFFFFFA6001BD7088, 0XFFFFFA6001BD6A60)

After some search it could be for Last Drivers installed (ATI of course) first time I could load Vista in Safe Mode, I did not change anything and on the next restart Vista Load Normally, I installed Test Drive Unlimited played few minutes, installed TOCA Race Drive 2, play few minutes and shut down the PC. Just to make sure I started again and after load same BSoD and even in Safe Mode now I get the BSoD.
So I went to ATI Support to try to get Catalyst v 7.2 since you commented that it works fine for you, but the oldest version they are offering is 7.3.
Do you have a link where I could download this version?

Thks in advance for your answer

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K-E Wifi
    Memory
    8gb OZC
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Maxtor Sata 160gb
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built by me.
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
    Memory
    KINGSTON HYPERX DDR2 4GB (2X2GB) PC6400 800MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT
    Graphics Card(s)
    SAPPHIRE RADEON HD4890 OC 1GB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    2/4/5.1/7.1-channel Realtek High Definition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung LE40A656F1 1080p 100Hz LCD HD TV 50,000:1
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 in Desktop,1920x1080p in gaming and video
    Hard Drives
    C:\WD VelociRaptor 150 GB,10,000 RPM
    D:\WESTERN DIGITAL WD15EADS 1.5TB CAVIAR GREEN SATA2 E:\WESTERN DIGITAL WD15EADS 1.5TB CAVIAR GREEN SATA2 No Raid.Copy Paste Is The Safest Way.
    PSU
    Seasonic 700W 80plus
    Case
    A-Case Twin Engine BB
    Cooling
    3 thermaltake smart case fan II + 1 arctic cooling fan
    Keyboard
    Wireless Logitech LX710
    Mouse
    Wirelles Logitech Laser Mouse MX620
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 4000plus
    Other Info
    F:\Sony high speed sata Dvd Rewriter
    KINGSTON HYPER X FAN
    +Cordless Rumblepad 2
I'll check when I get home.. If all else fails I'll see if I can upload it to rapidshare. :p

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    RJ's Toyz/HOTROD
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DFI LanParty UT P45-T2RS
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" and 22" Acer LCDs
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF932
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 Gamer
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 @28grams
    Internet Speed
    very very very slow
    Other Info
    3DMARK06 = 23114
To all of you,

I am ready Tweak Guide fro ATI Catalyst right now and one of the commentary make me think that may be even is part of my problem is due that Vista x64 cannot handle my 8GB RAM + 2x 512mb of Graphic RAM, as you first post FightingScallion.

I will for sure try the ATI HotFix Panais sent me
64bit - x64 - ATI Catalyst 8.3 Hotfix

But as the Tweak Guide mentions about 1 Graphic Card "Under the Display Adapter device, if you find two entries - a main one, and another one which has 'Secondary' next to it - these just indicate that your graphics card is capable of two separate outputs to two different display devices." I actually have 2 entries in Device Manager, but since I have 2 Graphic Cards installed with each 2 DVI Outputs.

SHOULDN'T I HAVE 4 ENTRIES APPEARING UNDER DISPLAY ADAPTER DEVICE???? Because this will mean that or my second Card is not well set, or defective, or Vista does not detect the second one, or who knows what else.
when I installed Catalyst 8.3 at the end of installation I read the LOG and could see something under Other Hardware, so I am confused.

Could anyone confirm me if I should have 4 entries for Display Adapter Device in Device Manager?

Thks in advance

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K-E Wifi
    Memory
    8gb OZC
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives