This is how SP1 went. Good. Let's have your feedback.

I have a laptop with nvidia gpu having laptopvideo2go 169.25 driver installed,, Do I need to uninstall it before I attempt SP1 upgrade??

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7500 @ 2.2 GHz
    Memory
    3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8400M GS
    Hard Drives
    250Gb @ 5400 RPM
No, but maybe you will have to reinstall it after if you use the Nvidia control panel.
If you installed it the quick way (just INF) no need to uninstall/reinstall.

My Computer

All went well with my SP1 install.

I haven't really noticed any performance upgrade and I didn't have any stability problems beforehand, so it sees the same still.
I did have to log into all my usual sites once more as all my cookies seemed to have been...forgotten..? The cookies were physically still there, it's just that they weren't recognized it seems.
I also had to reset all my desktop icons and sidebar programs but other than these few minor burps, all is well after the first month with SP1.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Personal Build
    CPU
    Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Asus Commando MoBo (P965/ICH8R)
    Memory
    4G's Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 PC26400 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum FATAL1TY (next)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 22" w2207 LCD Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1- 1680 x 1050, 1 - 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    3 x 500G SATA II WD Caviar HDD's
    PSU
    EnerMax NoiseTaker II 600W
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Classic (modified, dual doored & windowed)
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, 4-120mm fans, 1-90mm
    Mouse
    Logitech Optical Trackman trackball
    Other Info
    NZXT Lexa Classic Case, Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler, 2 DVD Burners c/w LightScribe (Sony, TSST), Enermax NoiseTaker II 600W PSU with Custom Chrome cable sleeving, Hauppauge HDTV TV Tuner Card, 5.1 Logitech Z5500 speakers, 15 in 1 Multi-card reader
My experience with SP1 was quite bad. I installed the SP and then the system would not boot into Windows ({Entry Not Found} NTClearAllSavepointsTransaction could not be located). I tried a number of recovery strategies as mentioned in the posts on this in the Microsoft Technet Forum on SP1 (TechNet Forums » Windows Vista IT Pro » Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)), but nothing worked. I had to re-install and rebuild my boot drive from scratch.

I'm not likely to try it again until I have a week where I'm willing to lose a few days of work. I noticed it came up in Windows Update and I immediately hid it.

There are some positive outcomes though. I've increased the wealth of external hard drive manufacturers as I now do a boot drive image backup every night. I've also purchased one of the Apricorn drive cloning kits and a duplicate boot drive (though I discovered that Apricorn EZ-Gig won't install under Vista 64 bit due to unsigned drivers; Apricorn says they are working on fixing that and I can boot directly from the CD they sent to clone my hard drive -- haven't tried it yet).

My advice to anyone who tries an SP1 upgrade with a lot of complicated and developmental software installed is to make sure you have a disk clone ready to swap in or at least a Windows Vista Image Backup to restore from. I noticed during the process that as part of the F8 boot menu you can restore directly from one of these backups. I didn't try the restore process, but I did go far enough to note that it found my backup on the external USB drive I had plugged in.

Good Luck!
Bill

My Computer

Install on both Windows Vista Business 32-bit and Windows Vista Business x64 went flawless on every system I've done so far, whether it has been a system that was online for a while and already had previous patches/updates or whether it was a brand new install with SP1 applied first.

Improvements? Dramatic increase when transferring data off of optical media. Huge boost in transfer rates over a gigabit network.

Two thumbs way up.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.2GHz
    Motherboard
    Abit IP35-E @ 1600FSB
    Memory
    4GB Hynix DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    PowerColor Radeon X1900XT
    Hard Drives
    (2) 320GB Seagate 7200.10
I have Vista Home Basic on a HP Compaq laptop and had more problems than Iraq. I came to the conclusion that I would have to replace it with XP, but decided to try SP1 as a last resort. It took four attempts to install and was worth the effort because I now have no problems whatsoever. My main problem originally was that I was being told that my OS was illegal and I would not have access to updates and only limited use of the computer. After 2 reboots it would tell me all was O.K. and I could use Windows Update normally. 10 minutes later it would tell me again that I had been the victim of software fraud and the computer would be closed down !
All that is now gone and everything runs beautifully. So just keep trying !

My Computer

Glad things worked out for ya. I finally got to the bottom of the issues I was having with the previous installs of Vista, and now I absolutely Love it. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    RJ's Toyz/HOTROD
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Extreme Q9650 @ 3.8GHz
    Motherboard
    DFI LanParty UT P45-T2RS
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB w/AC Accelero XTREME cooler
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Audidy2 ZS w/ Fatal1ty I/O panel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" and 22" Acer LCDs
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 / 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2TB (2 X 1TB) SATA Seagate Barracudas
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF932
    Cooling
    VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2I 92mm TE CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 Gamer
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 @28grams
    Internet Speed
    very very very slow
    Other Info
    3DMARK06 = 23114
My original 2 Vista installs on my P4 3.2(E) GHz machine went terrible - but that was because of bad drivers that I was not warned about in advance. Since then, I have done the SP1 upgrade manually 4 times and through Windows Update 17 times, all but 2 being on Vista Ultimate 32bit, the other 2 being on this Vista Ultimate x64 bit, and I have had almost no issues.

Also, 12 of the VU32bit installs are on iMacs running Parallels with VU32bit being the guest OS.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    INTEL Cherryvill 520 Series SSDSC2CW180A 180 GB SSD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared) | Synaptics TouchPad
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
    AT&T LightSpeed Gigabit Duplex
My original 2 Vista installs on my P4 3.2(E) GHz machine went terrible - but that was because of bad drivers that I was not warned about in advance. Since then, I have done the SP1 upgrade manually 4 times and through Windows Update 17 times, all but 2 being on Vista Ultimate 32bit, the other 2 being on this Vista Ultimate x64 bit, and I have had almost no issues.

Also, 12 of the VU32bit installs are on iMacs running Parallels with VU32bit being the guest OS.

Was the experience better or worse than XP?

My Computer

Better in almost all aspects - it improved the system performance, but one thing I have noticed on *all* Vista installs:

If you use No GUI boot and OS boot information from MSCONFIG (to get the Safe Mode like boot) then I notice that the listing of drivers being loaded slows down *tremendously* - on my P4 it would load pretty fast pre-SP1, but after installing SP1 it was nightmare - the entire screen would shift up one line at a time, taking 1-3 seconds per line, and then the last line that the bottom would appear after all had shifted up, and the process would repeat until the last driver showed (crcdisk.sys). After that it would boot normally.

On faster machines (iMacs, my current beast, etc) the lines scream by pretty quickly pre-SP1 - however, after installing SP1, while not nearly as slow as the P4, t *still* is noticeably slower - to the point where you can see 'refresh scan lines' type effect with the scrolling of the driver list.

Caveat:
The *experience itself was about the same, as I was one of hte earliest adopters of XP SP2, back when everyone was scared witless to try it after I had beta tested it twice.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
Hi,
Installed SP1 okay no problems. Have not noticed anything different, only thing is that my DVD Drive will now not read DVd`s. Microsoft are trying to find a solution to this for me.
Martin

My Computer

Hi,
I have managed to get my DVD Drive to read disc`s again. What I did was, uninstall the graphics card and then re-install it, and the drive is okay now. Microsoft did not tell me to do this,they were actually not much help really, anyway now up and running okay.

Martin

My Computer

SP1 is constantly smooth ...:D

im sure the creation of SP1 was not based around an increase in performance or additional features as such
it just ironed out all the major issues vista had at its birth

& now she is a silky smooth runner...

i hope SP2 does contain some good developments & MS are not just gonna throw all their eggs into the ''windows 7'' basket..
;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    8GB 1066mhz buffalo firestix
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 5970
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' syncmaster
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA IDE
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA 2
    PSU
    XCILIO 850w
    Case
    unknown ATX
    Cooling
    Arctic cooler pro 775
    Keyboard
    logitech EX110
    Mouse
    logitech cordless optical
    Internet Speed
    2mb
Hi

I thought I would also add a cross post here in case the other post further down was missed!

Having a nightmare after installing SP1 for 64 bit Vista on my HP laptop.

Left the SP1 installing overnight and I returned to a blank screen with a cursor that can be moved about - even onto an extended screen.

I've been into safe mode several times and the first couple of times it coame up with a message informing me that stage 3 was completing from 33% and it took hours to reach 100%. A reboot comes up with the same result as above.

The third (or fourth or fifth! who knows now!!) safe mode login informed me that the installation of the service pack failed and that it would uninstall. Again, a couple of hours and a reboot comes up with the same result. Back into safe mode and it gives me the same message and takes 2 hours or so to show the desktop.

I am now leaving it running overnight in the vain hope there is something goign on in the back ground as I get a flicker of the hdd light every so often.

I've read earlier posts relating to similar issues but can't get around to giving the problem serious time until Tuesday. Does anyone have a good solution to this really annoying problem? I would appreciate any help at all.

thanks

John

My Computer

I said a couple of weeks ago that I had installed SP1 and it had solved all my problems. At that time I didn't mention the terrible performance I had trying to download and install SP1. Now, one of my original problems was that sometimes the system told me that the copy of Vista was counterfeit and I would receive no updates etc., and then after a couple of reboots it would say the opposite and offer me updates ! On a couple of occasions it shut down the computer completely.What it did just depended on how it felt or the wind direction or whatever !
I discovered a utility on Microsoft web site called MGADiag which examines the computer's system and gives a report on authenticity etc. At this point I should say that I am not a computer expert - far from it, but I am willing to have a go. I downloaded MAGDiag , ran it and was told my OS was an illegal copy.(It was installed by HP and is very legal ). After rebooting a couple of times MAGDiag told me the OS is O.K. So, I started thinking. I had tried 4 times to install SP1 unsuccessfully, so I decided to try a fifth time, and this time I left MAGDiag on the desktop showing a positive report. Please don't laugh. Then I went in and downloaded SP1 with no drama whatsoever, and I have had no problems since and I am beginning to like Vista ! So there ! Give it a go !

My Computer

Interesting. I'm sort of seeing a theme in the folks who have problems installing Vista SP1. There seem to be a lot of HP machines that are having problems with SP1. Anybody else notice this?
Bill

My Computer

Yup - and I have noticed that in general, most of the SP1 installs with all machines that give errors are because of driver issues. Specifically uninstalling and re-installing drivers works in well over 70% of the issues that I have seen go from being problematic to being successful.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
Yup - and I have noticed that in general, most of the SP1 installs with all machines that give errors are because of driver issues. Specifically uninstalling and re-installing drivers works in well over 70% of the issues that I have seen go from being problematic to being successful.

Did you notice any particular drivers that give problems? Is there perhaps a list of them somewhere?

Thanks,
Bill

My Computer

Not really - it is varied, although I noticed that video drivers and chipset drivers were the most prevalent problems....

I cannot say one way or another if they were more AMD machines or Intel machines, but I can say that most of the problematic drivers were nVidia - but that is because the ATI drivers were known problematic to begin with....most replies to ATI driver issues were "they aren't stable yet" or something of that nature - and of course nVidia fanboyisms: "ATI sucks, get nVidia!!!"

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card