This is how SP1 went. Good. Let's have your feedback.

Hi, spoke to HP US last night and after much troubleshooting the advice they gave me was to do a system restore. to get to this utility I type System Restore in the Start Search textbox on the Start Menu, started the utility (which took quite a few moments to start) and restores back to sometime previous to the SP. It took a while and after a few beers and munchies and watching the message telling me it was restoring I went to bed and left it. this morning my login screen was the correct resolution and I logged in and got my virtual machines running. Hurrah all round.

I also got an email from HP UK after I logged a support call advising me to upgrade the bios before installing the SP. I am now feverishly backing up everything I should have previously backed up, but, now I'm, smiling :)

My Computer

I have a Pavilion 9600 dual core 64 bit with 4 Gbyte memory, its a good machine really. They never mentioned bios version, just told me to update and gave me a link to the file. I'm holding off until I feel I have the time to give this service pack.

John

My Computer

I have an HP Pavilion dv9700t Notebook PC. I would suspect that the issues and BIOS are similar. Keep me posted. I think I'll contact HP and see what they have to say about my machine and upgrading to SP1. Thanks for your data! I'd appreciate it if you would post the results of your next try here. Bill

My Computer

Sure thing bill, and it would be good to hear what HP say to you also.

It's the same old story though (and Microsoft and HP tell you to back up before doing anything like this) but I've learnt another huge lesson to always back up at the end of a days work - I tell customers to do this but didn't follow my own advice - nearly lost a couple of weeks programming effort because I was out of the office and didn't sync up the code.

John

My Computer

Would SP1 problems and an old BIOS be related? I had the problem, on my ASUS laptop, where SP1 would freeze whenever I used battery power. I thought this was to do with the battery management software but uninstalling it didn't help. I then uninstalled SP1 and left it for a few months. I then reinstalled SP1 last month or so and had the same problems. I decided to update my BIOS and as yet, the problem seems to not happen anymore.
I've been told that the BIOS does not affect the software side of things, i.e Vista, but I think that the hardware glitches may have been fixed with the update? Any comments would be nice.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    1.6ghz Core2Duo
    Memory
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 128mb
    Hard Drives
    120GB
I've been told that the BIOS does not affect the software side of things, i.e Vista, but I think that the hardware glitches may have been fixed with the update?
Your right, It most likely was a hardware issue.
Just my 2 cents :p

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    RJ's Toyz/HOTROD
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Extreme Q9650 @ 3.8GHz
    Motherboard
    DFI LanParty UT P45-T2RS
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB w/AC Accelero XTREME cooler
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Audidy2 ZS w/ Fatal1ty I/O panel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" and 22" Acer LCDs
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 / 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2TB (2 X 1TB) SATA Seagate Barracudas
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF932
    Cooling
    VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2I 92mm TE CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 Gamer
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 @28grams
    Internet Speed
    very very very slow
    Other Info
    3DMARK06 = 23114
Pesonally, i think that SP1 is one of the worst releases by MS, that, and IE8.
My reasoning:
On my laptop (Presario F504ea) my RAM usage went up, and my wireless became less and less reliable. I trashed it and everything was good and just how i liked it.

I have just put it on a toshiba laptop, and now the audio device is not recognized at all, yet it was before the SP update. There is no question marks in the device manager either.

Any help on a resolution to this problem will be greatly appreciated [that is without a system restore]

Thanks in advance

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 1.6 GHz
    Memory
    1 GB DDR SODIMM 200 Pin
    Internet Speed
    10mb/s
Nothing but a pain in the rear end...

Have lost use of WMP 11... does not function at all... and have lost the Windows side bar as well.

Have tried to uninstall the Update but that failed... so I am in limbo at the moment whilst I consider the next step.

In hindsight I would never have accepted the Service Pack as I have been on Vista Home Premium for over 7 months with absolutely no issues whatsoever and I am a heavy user of the computer.

Ever since upgrade I am fuming ;-(

My Computer

Sucks.

Have tried to insatall it 9 times now with all kinds of different results.
Always gets to the 3 of 3 100% installed and then goes to "reverting back".
Sometimes it reverts back without a problem, but sometimes it fails to revert back cleanly and I have problems with winboot.

Can't get any usefull information about why it failed and Microsoft help has performed to it's "bottom feeder" standard that I have come to expect. Everything always ends with "reinstall windows".

Wasted enough time on this piece of crap.

My Computer

Thats Right Slimy. Instead of updating the service pack, i always go with a clean install. Works just fine for me.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    intel core 2 duo T 5550 @ 1.83 MHz
    Motherboard
    intel 965 chipset family
    Memory
    2 GB DDR 2 SD RAM @ 667 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    On board upto 358 MB RAM
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15"
    Hard Drives
    160 GB WDC
It has worked well for me. It went smooth and fast.

If by chance you try again and have done registry tweaks I hope you saved the OE .reg file. Export your tweaked file and import the OE. Then try and do the SP1.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home Build
    CPU
    Intel Q6600 G0
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    Memory
    Corsair 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    POWERCOLOR AX3650 512M DDR2
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 215TW
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    2X WD 750GB RE3 RAID-1
    PSU
    610W CORSAIR Modular
    Case
    Cheapo Rosewell
    Cooling
    Rosewell Fans and CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Access Keyboard 600
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
I really am unsure weather to put it on . I have done so before, however my Broadcom Wi-Fi became intermittent and worked when it wanted to, which wasn't often. In all fairness it may of been on its last legs and needed replacing, which was done on manufacturer guarantee. I have just installed an extra gig of ram - now 2GB 200 pin SODIMM.

Do you think i should give it another go regardless of my previous problems ? I dont want extra RAM being used as i have just got my laptop nice and tidy.

The laptop is a Presario F504EA.

Cheers

Ol

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 1.6 GHz
    Memory
    1 GB DDR SODIMM 200 Pin
    Internet Speed
    10mb/s
Hi all,
I have just installed SP1 again. I had to do this because I had do a Factory Image reinstall.
For me, SP1 appeared in Windows Update. It was a 59MB d/l in total and installation took about 45 minutes. It went very smoothly but it does require patience. The computer restarted once. Stage 1 stayed a heart stopping 10 minutes at 65% but otherwise things kept moving the same as last time.
Everything I have checked works so far.
Let's just hope I don't have to do this again.
:rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel (R) Core(TM) Quad 6600 @2.4GHz
    Memory
    4GB dual channel DDR2 667MHZ [4x 1024]
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic Dell PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    2 500GB Hard drives in a RAID 1 Mirror configuration.
    Keyboard
    Standard USB QWERTY keyboard
    Mouse
    Standard optical mouse
    Internet Speed
    Actual 2.2 Mbps
    Other Info
    Connected to DSL internet via ethernet via Netgear DGN2000 modem router.
    Also connected via ethernet to HP 8180 All-in-One Photosmart printer.
    19-in1 card reader and 1 DVD and 1 DVD RW drives
Older equipement meant a few re-installs on one machine - nothing major and nothing was lost except time - and all is well now and am quite pleased. But in the process of recovery from the problems I acquired 6 folders which I would like to eliminate so as to use the 50 gig of space they now occupy. They are labled $INPLACE.~TR and $UPGRADE.~OS and $WINDOWS.~Q and Windows.old and Windows.old.000 and Windows.old.001 - - I recovered all needed info from the first folder (and thanks for having that folder) but I don't think I still need these folders. Can I get rid of them. Thanks for your help.:):confused::)

My Computer

My 1st post and I am sorry, but its negative

I installed sp1 and it got stuck after the first reboot upon startup.

Everytime I started my computer it would continue the install and get stuck on 0xc0190002 !! 16504/155386 (xjis.nlp).

I inserted the vista cd and started the system restore. This froze upon "attempting repairs". Looks like I will have to do a harddrive wipe to fix it...

Though I must say support were very friendly, despite the long time taken to respond.

My Computer

I've enjoyed these forums for years, and haven't had to ask for help. Since I don't know if this is tied to the update or not, I'll post here. But if it is posted in the wrong place, please let me know what to do. This is really frustrating.

Everything went like a normal update. Seemed to be absolutely no problems. NOW, my MS Help doesn't work. I searched the forums here and found a helpful post
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/33004-windows-help-support-not-available-anymore.html
that seemed to have lots of answers. I tried several fixes that did nothing. This last part of the post I will paste here, as it showed what the registry SHOULD be. however, that was a 2007 post, and I don't know if it's still correct. so, I wrote below it what MY registry says. Can anyone tell me if the post is correct with the SP1 update... before I go and change mine???

Thank you SOOOOO much! I hope someone can help. I don't know how long it's been messed up, and I don't need it often, but some programs use that and I know at some point I will need it. You guys rock here!

Best, Angie

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/33004-windows-help-support-not-available-anymore.html

Can someone please tell me if the info about the registry in the post below is still correct? My registry info is pasted after the post.

Torsten [MVP]
n/a posts

Re: Windows Help and Support not available anymore

Have you installed a program that changed the associated application for
..xml files recently?

Vista standard would be

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml]
@="xmlfile"
"Content Type"="text/xml"
"PerceivedType"="text"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList\winword.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\PersistentHandler]
@="{7E9D8D44-6926-426F-AA2B-217A819A5CCE}"

Torsten
Microsoft MVP - SMS

My registry:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml]
(Default) REG_SZ xmlfile
Content Type REG_SZ text/xml
PerceivedType REG_SZ text

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList]
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList\winword.exe]
(Default) REG_SZ

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\PersistentHandler]
(Default) REG_SZ (7E9D8D44-6926-426F-AA2B-217A819A5CCE)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS/M1530
    Memory
    4GB RAM
    Hard Drives
    300GB internal + (2) external 1Terabyte drives
not sure a friends pc had this problem awile ago but idk how he fixed it
82(2).gif

My Computer

Back