64-bit: More than just the RAM

64-bit: More than just the RAM
Author: Brett Thomas
Published: 16th Oct 2007

Introduction
If you're a member of this or any other technology-based forum, odds are that you've noticed the several versions of Microsoft's latest offering, Windows Vista. If you haven't, well... please come out from under that rock and get with the programming!

One of the biggest changes has been the clear offering and even a gentle push towards the 64-bit version of the OS. Indubitably, this extra option becomes fodder for forum discussion, usually along the line of:

Forumite 1: "Hi, I am building a new system and I wanted to know what your thoughts were on whether I should use 64-bit or 32-bit Vista? I've heard varying things around the net regarding compatibility, and was hoping someone could help."
Forumite 2: "Hi! I just read your post. You should definitely go with the 32-bit version. There's tons of compatibility problems with 64b (Just look at XP-64), and it's going to die a long, drawn-out death. Besides, the only actual difference between them is that 64-bit can make proper use of 4GB of RAM."
Forumite 1: "Oh, ok! Thanks!"

Now, what's wrong with this picture? The answer is a lot. Time and time again, self-proclaimed gurus determine that the only real difference between 32-bit computing and 64-bit computing is the memory limit. Are they right that RAM is a reason? Definitely - but that's missing about 99 percent of the true differences. By that logic, the only major difference between your old 8-bit Nintendo console and your Xbox 360 is processor speed. I think we can all agree, that's just wrong.

Read More at the Source :
NOTE: Very informative. Be sure to click Next Page at the bottom for all of it.

Bit-tech.net: 64-bit: More than just the RAM < Click Link Here

Enjoy,
Shawn

Yeah... lol. Remember when 850MB hard drives and Fat 32 was the ****?! Fastest thing around! I remember when I read in the business section of my newspaper that Intel was planning to release a 200mHz Pentium processor... my response was something like, 'My God! How fast do they need to go?!' lmao at myself now...

That really was a great article about 64 bit architecture. I learned a lot. Now where can I get me fingers on a copy of Windows 7 RC1?
Thanks much in advance!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    Memory
    6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX285 SSC Edition
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Professional
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Gateway w/ Faroudja HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2-Seagate 7200 500 GB 32MB cache
    1-Seagate 7200 750 GB 32MB cache
    1-Seagate 7200 320 GB 16MB cache
    PSU
    Antec 850w
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor+MX
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper N520
    Keyboard
    Logitech 3200 Wireless Desktop
    Mouse
    Logitech 3200
    Internet Speed
    30Mb/10Mb up
    Other Info
    LG BR/DVD/CD Burner, HP Deskjet 1220C, HP Officejet 7590, Philips 5.1, Gateway MP8708 laptop running XP.
Yeah... lol. Remember when 850MB hard drives and Fat 32 was the ****?! Fastest thing around! I remember when I read in the business section of my newspaper that Intel was planning to release a 200mHz Pentium processor... my response was something like, 'My God! How fast do they need to go?!' lmao at myself now...

That really was a great article about 64 bit architecture. I learned a lot. Now where can I get me fingers on a copy of Windows 7 RC1?
Thanks much in advance!

I actually remember that my first PC was a 100MHz Hewitt Packard with 1.0125GB hard drive and 16MB RAM and at the time it was top of the line. Amazing that now we have RAM that has more memory than those hard drives. And cell phones that process faster than the pc did.

I never quite understood what was so special about 64 bit until I upgraded to it and now I dont want to go back to anything else.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion DV7-1129wm Entertainment PC
    CPU
    AMD Turion X2 RM-72 Dual Core @ 2.1GHz
    Memory
    2 x 2 GB Hyundai DDR2 400 MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200 @ 256 MB
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio/SRS Premium Sound/Altec Lansing
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Laptop Screen
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900 laptop, external 17 in LCD 1024 x 768
    Hard Drives
    WD Scorpio Blue 320 GB SATA 5400 RPM
    Toshiba 68 GB SATA 5400 RPM Second Drive (backup)
    PSU
    8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Case
    Laptop with "light up" HP Logo on outside
    Cooling
    Insane air coming out of Targus dual fan cooler
    Keyboard
    Full Keyboard with numpad
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000 / Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Comcast Cable 20 MBps
    Other Info
    Used Primarily for CAD design using SolidWorks 2010.
    Also I love to watch HD movies using the HDMI output(Netflix).
    Linked to my Xbox 360 for Windows Media Center
    3 USB ports + USB/eSata
    HP Remote for Windows Media Center and Quickplay
    Internal Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
    External HP Lightscribe Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
    HP Webcam and Microphone
I upgraded to a Pentium 100 after using my first 'real' PC... a 486 w/ 2 MB of ram. My first PC was a 3000.00 IBM 8088 with, um, NO ram... lol. It had a 15 mb hard drive, 5.25" floppys were what all the software came on.
After upgrading to Windows 95, I went out to upgrade my ram from 8 to 16 mb... that extra 8 mb of ram cost me $325.00! For 8MB. Nowadays you can buy a PC with 2 GB of Ram for about the same. Remember MS saying Win95 worked great w/ 8mb of ram? And they're STILL B.S.ing us! lol...

I can't see using anything else but a 64 bit OS myself, brother. And to think I put off installing my copy of Ultimate 64 for almost two years!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    Memory
    6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX285 SSC Edition
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Professional
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Gateway w/ Faroudja HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2-Seagate 7200 500 GB 32MB cache
    1-Seagate 7200 750 GB 32MB cache
    1-Seagate 7200 320 GB 16MB cache
    PSU
    Antec 850w
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor+MX
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper N520
    Keyboard
    Logitech 3200 Wireless Desktop
    Mouse
    Logitech 3200
    Internet Speed
    30Mb/10Mb up
    Other Info
    LG BR/DVD/CD Burner, HP Deskjet 1220C, HP Officejet 7590, Philips 5.1, Gateway MP8708 laptop running XP.
they say vista should have 1GB of ram but its not enough.. i think 4GB is about right.. not perfect but good..

My Computer

System One

• Memory
    4GB
    Hard Drives
    c:250GB
    Internet Speed
    4mbit adsl
64 bits are better than 32 in a programmers eye. Not only can you see more memory but the variables can hold more data. This alone can creat a speed increase. I agree with SQUID on two points, 64 is better than 32 for speed and performance. Don`t forget that this is a young os. As time goes buy more people will get used to it, more people will support it and it WILL grow.

In a programmer's eye certainly. In an end-user's eye, no. I still recommend x86 to clients who have less than 4 GB RAM. x64 is larger and, on all the benchmarks I've run, slower than x86 on machines with 4 GB or less. Until the minimum memory available on PCs is 6 GB, I'll continue to push x86 and have happier clients. In real-world terms, it *is* all about the RAM.

My Computer

i'm using vista ultimate x64 but i have some friends that use xp x32 and they have 4gb RAM dual processors and i've tried to tell them that's not good but they just keep useing the xp...

My Computer

I hear they plan to do away with 32bit after Windows 7.

Well, even as it stands now. 32-bit Vista is really a "compatability version" of Vista that was meant for those people who needed to use old stuff that doesn't work or won't get upgrades. 64-bit does have a 32-bit emulator built-in but it's not 100%. And 32-bit has a 16-bit emulator. That's not perfect either but practically all 16-bit software that doesn't work on 32-bit has been long history. It will take a while before all 32-bit software is history too, but by that time, if you really really need to run it, you can use a virtual machine that will only take like 2% of a modern machine.

My Computer

I feel certain that some of you who contribute to this forum are not old enough to remember the transition from 8 bit computing to 16 bit. Just a few short years later again the jump from 16 bit to 32 bit and now we're going through the pains of yet another transition from 32 to 64 bit. I have no doubt that someday, those of us who live long enough will see 128 bit processors in home computers.

It costs the hardware manufacturers a lot of money to develop a new processor and then continue to make the older processor that's being phased out.

Likewise the Software writers, wanting to be on the cutting edge but still trying to fill the demand of the older processor users.

When I decided to test Vista, I built myself a new PC with a 64 bit dual core CPU.
In testing Vista and now Windows 7, I've used nothing but the 64 bit Ultimate versions of those OS's. To do otherwise would be a great waste of my time and effort.
Both Vista 64 and Win-7 64 run great on 4 to 6 gig's of Dual Channel Ram.
Installing any more, to me, would be a great waste of money.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

The Shadow :cool:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon Dual Core 5200+
    Motherboard
    MSI K9N Platinum
    Memory
    4 gigs DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    WinFast
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" Envision LCD
    Hard Drives
    2 Maxtor 160 gig SATA2
    1 Seagate 200 gig SATA2
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 650
    Case
    Pac Man
    Cooling
    13 fans
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    MS-Digital
    Internet Speed
    Cable-5 meg
    Other Info
    Homemade, under constant mod.
And don’t forget the hold-outs. You will still find some threads around with ppl saying that 64-bit is a waste because it’s not practical and over-kill for blah blah blah. They are slowly diminishing as average laptops in Best Buy are 64-bit now too, but you still have the naysayers and people who “justify” not upgrading.

I still remember my first 486DX 50 MHz purchase. The PC Builder at that time said “You don’t need to spend the extra money for the Pentium. That’s like a mainframe and you’ll never need it.” Well Pentiums DID cost a lot more at that time, but of course paying $2,300 for just a 486 in early 90’s USD was like an automobile purchase decision.

I think with Windows 7 and the multi-touch trend, you will have a lot of higher power requirements to process all those multiple input gestures operating on multiple objects simultaneously and stuff like that…on top of all the extra bloat…I mean features…that large software packages will add.

My Computer

i'm using vista ultimate x64 but i have some friends that use xp x32 and they have 4gb RAM dual processors and i've tried to tell them that's not good but they just keep useing the xp...

To be honest, if it were'nt for win 7 being released on RC terms, i would have gone back to xp pro x86, co's to be honest it was a lot better, in stability terms and compatibility terms, than vista.

But now, since upgrading from 768mb (in my old dell) to 8gb (in my current first build), i only use xp for torrents and just generally messing about. Where as, since 7 came along - bye bye vista ultimate 64 (£162 down the pigging drain) and hello se7en (bring on october 22nd for the rtm release)!!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Small Computers / The HAFmeister
    CPU
    Intel Core2Quad Extreme QX9650
    Motherboard
    Asus Striker II Extreme 790i Ultra SLI socket 775
    Memory
    8Gb OCZ Reaper-x 1333mhz with AC artic RC and Turbo module for cooling
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX Geforce 8800 Ultra and EVGA 8800 Ultra 768mb SLI
    Sound Card
    SupremeFX II
    Monitor(s) Displays
    DELL 720i
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024 60hz
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Windows & Software)
    Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB (Games)
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB (Entertainment)
    Samsung Spinpoint 500GB (Back-up HDD)
    PSU
    Thermal Take Tough-Power 1200w Cable Managment
    Case
    Coolermaster-RC HAF 932
    Cooling
    Asus Silent Square Evo and Coolermaster stock fans.
    Keyboard
    Logitech EX110 Wirless
    Mouse
    Logitech G9
    Internet Speed
    ????
    Other Info
    SAMSUNG SH-S203D SATA DVD writer
    Edimax 802.1g MIMO Wireless Network adaptor (With Antenie)
    Epson Stylus R800 Photo Printer
    Generic PC controller (Playstation lookie-likey)
    Microsoft Wireless Elite XBOX 360 Controller
    Microsoft Wired XBOX 360 Controller
    Scythe Floppy and Memory Card Drive
Hello everyone,

I've got a new laptop coming a HP Pavilion dv7-1273cl with 4 gig's of memory and Vista Home Premium 64. I got this one new at a price that makes me want to take out the old asbestos gloves (it's really not hot). I've heard of so many different opinions from so many that I wonder if there is a list of software that will/willnot run on the operating system. Also in doing some research on the new system I have found that one program will not run that I need to work from home unless I use ReadyDriverPlus to disable the coding digital signature check feature. Can someone tell me what this amounts too? When they are talking about the digital signature check feature are they talking about in Xp amounts to "this driver is not M$ certified and it has a continue anyway button" or is it something more serious than that?

Thanks in advance for any info.

My Computer

"Supposedly" 32bit apps are compatible in a 64bit OS, but I don't really use 64bit, so I am not sure how to help you on that issue.

My Computer

rhlblue said:
there's not doubt that x64 is better than x32

Hi

Just so some "Nit-Picker" doesn't call you out on this someday, we need to get your terminology straight. There is no such thing as x32, the 32bit instructions are known as x86 and 64 bit is x64. When talking "bits" then it's 32bit and 64bit, but when you put an "x" in front, you're now talking architecture instructions and that's x86 and x64.
I know you're just using it in a contextual form (x32) but in places like this there's always someone who'll jump on you for that little gaff (not me tho!!) just an FYI..;)

@Shawn - Great article buddy!
While I do know the differences between 32bit and 64bit other than the RAM benefits, that article put things in a far better way than I can describe them to users, so it's now my Bookmarked page to send users too, to learn a little more than just the basic differences.
I was fortunate I guess, when in 1972 I was able to use one of those MONSTER IBM 64bit machines...darn thing was bigger then the 4x4 truck I own now and ran on punch card technology. Super cool tho, I wrote a program that required some 24,000 cards to perform and it made a 6' x 32" poster of a girl in a bikini by using lots of "x, !, %, <, >..." and so on....LOL!!
What can I say, I was 16 at the time and not much else was going thru my adolescent brain.
At the time that computer was the only one around for about 500 miles and we got to play with it for a week for our High School Computer class, which was in it's first year BTW. Other than that we simply made little "Plug boards" at school that when you hooked up the wires in different plugs you could make different lights go on/off..etc.
That was our Computer Class back then...just a tad different today.

Chubby I did the same with punch cards around the same time except I did mine on a Gigantic Multix system and at that time the largest Computer on any American Campus. We took turns every other year with MIT..COBOL, FORTRAN, PL1, Assembly..etc....all ancient stuff.....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 16"
    CPU
    Dual Intel Core (TM)2 T9400 @ 2.53 GHz
    Memory
    8 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSC RBX Series 128 M ATA Device...Solid state...I love it
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Other Info
    Network adapters
    Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN
I started on a honeywell machine. Not as bad as puched card or tape but was still a large machine.
The first program I made was of a skier going down a slope.
You had to avoide the "H" symbol. How graphics have improved:D.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
I did a similar thing with a COBAL program. A the end of the program I had it write "this program deserves a big A+" and the "A" was huge. I remember it vividly because I had this gorgous blonde teacher and I always sat on the front row. She came in the morning winked at me and showed my program to the class. Gosh she was gorgerous and naturally I never cut that class.

I picked up a book C++ By Example, read a few chapters and learned that it really has not changed that much. Still have to assign variables with values etc. If I really had a need I could do what I need to in C++ but doubt I will ever find a real need other than just the challenge of writing a program to write it in C++.

Ok enough of that we need to move on to tech support here..

Shor

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 16"
    CPU
    Dual Intel Core (TM)2 T9400 @ 2.53 GHz
    Memory
    8 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670
    Sound Card