64-bit: More than just the RAM

64-bit: More than just the RAM
Author: Brett Thomas
Published: 16th Oct 2007

Introduction
If you're a member of this or any other technology-based forum, odds are that you've noticed the several versions of Microsoft's latest offering, Windows Vista. If you haven't, well... please come out from under that rock and get with the programming!

One of the biggest changes has been the clear offering and even a gentle push towards the 64-bit version of the OS. Indubitably, this extra option becomes fodder for forum discussion, usually along the line of:

Forumite 1: "Hi, I am building a new system and I wanted to know what your thoughts were on whether I should use 64-bit or 32-bit Vista? I've heard varying things around the net regarding compatibility, and was hoping someone could help."
Forumite 2: "Hi! I just read your post. You should definitely go with the 32-bit version. There's tons of compatibility problems with 64b (Just look at XP-64), and it's going to die a long, drawn-out death. Besides, the only actual difference between them is that 64-bit can make proper use of 4GB of RAM."
Forumite 1: "Oh, ok! Thanks!"

Now, what's wrong with this picture? The answer is a lot. Time and time again, self-proclaimed gurus determine that the only real difference between 32-bit computing and 64-bit computing is the memory limit. Are they right that RAM is a reason? Definitely - but that's missing about 99 percent of the true differences. By that logic, the only major difference between your old 8-bit Nintendo console and your Xbox 360 is processor speed. I think we can all agree, that's just wrong.

Read More at the Source :
NOTE: Very informative. Be sure to click Next Page at the bottom for all of it.

Bit-tech.net: 64-bit: More than just the RAM < Click Link Here

Enjoy,
Shawn

Thought I'd share an interesting article about memory usage in 32-bit Vista. Seems like 32-bit is not limited to 4 GB of ram afterall (as we've all been lead to believe).

"That 32-bit editions of Windows Vista are limited to 4GB is not because of any physical or technical constraint on 32-bit operating systems. The 32-bit editions of Windows Vista all contain code for using physical memory above 4GB. Microsoft just doesn’t license you to use that code."

Read more .... Geoff Chappell, Software Analyst - Viewer

P.S. (to admins/mods): I tried to post this as a new thread in the "News" section, but lacked the privileges. Suppose it's just as good here.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Q6600 Quad Core @ 2.4 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell XPS 420 Motherboard 0TP406
    Memory
    3 GB @ 677 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 128 MB
    Sound Card
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2208WFP 22" Flat Panel Display
    Screen Resolution
    1289x768 32-bit (for now)
    Hard Drives
    500 GB 7200 RPM SATA
    PSU
    375W
    Internet Speed
    Broadband 15Mb/s download & 5Mb/s upload
Hey guys, i'm new to the forums ... It's good to be around all you techies .. I must say that a x64 bit really rocks .. I've got an Asus G50VT-X5 lappy , stuffed with a 4GB RAM , X64 Bit OS & 9800 nVIDIA GC..

The Reason i like my 64 ?
It's damn fast when i'm backing up my data.. I can transfer 100GB of data in less than 80mints.. Data processing speed really matters to me ..

Cheers, D

My Computer

I'm happy that I decided to purchase an x64 version of Vista.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1340
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    "Edge-to-edge" Glossy 13.3 inch WXGA CCFL LCD display
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    500 GB SATA @ 7200 rpm
    Internet Speed
    Broadband
Yes I like the speed but I find that the programs that run in a 64 bit enviornment are really taking a long time to surface. Maybe WIN 7.0 will push everyone a little harder. I can't wait for the release.

I have also begun to "DO WITHOUT" other 3rd party softwares and run strickly MSFT software. I back up with Vista (best I have ever had) super simple etc. I also run Defender and not some other for that security. I use BING exclusively and deleted everything for Google. My toolbars are all MSFT and I can't help but think my system runs better and faster as a result.
If it wasn't for my children I would also delete ITUNES.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 16"
    CPU
    Dual Intel Core (TM)2 T9400 @ 2.53 GHz
    Memory
    8 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSC RBX Series 128 M ATA Device...Solid state...I love it
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Other Info
    Network adapters
    Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN
Yes I like the speed but I find that the programs that run in a 64 bit enviornment are really taking a long time to surface. Maybe WIN 7.0 will push everyone a little harder. I can't wait for the release.

I have also begun to "DO WITHOUT" other 3rd party softwares and run strickly MSFT software. I back up with Vista (best I have ever had) super simple etc. I also run Defender and not some other for that security. I use BING exclusively and deleted everything for Google. My toolbars are all MSFT and I can't help but think my system runs better and faster as a result.

64-bit takes up more base overhead RAM so if you don't have that much to begin with, you might experience slower launch.

SuperFetch, is a technology that launches your commonly used stuff (based on scheduled usage habits) much faster. But you need some extra RAM for it to work better.

My Computer

32-bit is still good for many situations. If you are a frequent computer user of a lot of apps I would suggest 64-bit is a must for your main. Other than that 32-bit is just fine.

I have a 32-bit Vista Ultimate laying arround from a sample. I'm waiting for prices of bare-bones systems to come down so I can make a cheap Windows Media Center. :)

My Computer

32-bit is still good for many situations. If you are a frequent computer user of a lot of apps I would suggest 64-bit is a must for your main. Other than that 32-bit is just fine.

I have a 32-bit Vista Ultimate laying arround from a sample. I'm waiting for prices of bare-bones systems to come down so I can make a cheap Windows Media Center. :)

+1 for you sir!

My Computer

You know what, I read your post again and I think I misunderstood your post. lol I thought “surface” meant “launch”. :p

Yeah, 64-bit apps exist mostly where it’s actually needed, like in intense data processing applications and design software and some games for now. There isn’t as much need to develop for 64-bit from many dev standpoints so they try to stick to where the market is. At this point "consumer usage" mostly benefits from the multitasking capability of 64-bit.

Also, if you have a video card with high VRAM, 64-bit doesn’t eat into the maximum usable RAM like in 32-bit. After all, a good video GPU is one of the keys to a well performance Vista machine. Many people in the early days of Vista shopping didn’t know this. Can’t blame them as the details are sort of “technical”, but Vista sort of off-loads a lot of graphics to the GPU to relieve the CPU for other stuff. It’s a big difference from XP as well so even many veteran PC users got thrown off by this and most STILL do not know this to this day! ;)

But now even the Intel GMA on-boards are pretty decent as long as you're not into high power games so, whatever.

Windows Vista Display Driver Model

My Computer

Depnding on memeory remapping in the BIOS, your GPU might take a chunk out of available RAM. 64-bit RAM also removes the 2GB address space limit for windows resources. As for apps, what is the point of a computer if you only run Microsoft? More freeware apps can slow you down, just choose the right ones.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    [email protected] w/6MB L2 cache 1066MHz FSB
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    9300M GS 256MB + Intel Integrated 4500MHD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    13.1" WXGA True Colour Tough
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
Another benefit (that might have been mentioned somewhere in this huge thread) is that it helps a “family computer”, where you don’t have always “log off” so someone else won’t be short of RAM. You can just “switch user” so you don’t have to re-open up all your apps all over again and wait for the startup programs to launch, etc. :cool:

My Computer

You are right Vista Ultimate 64 bit seems very stable and no finding driver problems here either. Waiting to up my computer to 8 gig's shortly. Then I hope it will really fly.

My Computer

You are right Vista Ultimate 64 bit seems very stable and no finding driver problems here either. Waiting to up my computer to 8 gig's shortly. Then I hope it will really fly.

You won't regret it. Granted I use mine 90% for gaming, so 4gb would be enough - but ive got 2gb of stuff sitting in memory right now while typing this. It's a relief not to have to worry about capacity. :party:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    §ĮŁΣNŦ Д$$Д$$ĮN
    CPU
    Xeon X3360
    Motherboard
    P5W64 WS Pro
    Memory
    Corsair XMS2 8gb @ 5-4-4-12 833mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Geforce GTX470 SC+
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatlity Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T200
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD 1TB RE3
    PSU
    Thermaltake Toughower 750w
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Silver
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS10x Extreme
    Keyboard
    Razer Lycosa Mirror
    Mouse
    Razer Deathadder 3500dpi
    Internet Speed
    24Mb/s
    Other Info
    My massive wifi antenna is in the post!
That's exactly why I thought about the 8 gig's. . Now I will not have to look to see if I have enough memory to do something or not. While memory is not always that cheap, it's the one thing I recommend maxing out when you can. I never really understood why there were so many complaints about Vista. It really is not that bad at all. I also have Windows 7, which is on another computer and works fine too. I am running Vista on a Macbook Pro using Parallels, which works just fine for me. Gives me the best of both worlds. I have Vista using a 256 gig. partition, with a second 256 gig. partition for data. The partitions are on a trigabyte external drive using usb2. No slowdown what so ever that I can see. So, guess I don't have to worry about Vista only being able to run on a PC, using the C drive only. Finally beat Microsoft at their own game!!!!

My Computer

Reading through the 20 pages so far, I found only one entry that closely resembles my question/situation. Someone mentioned that the product key for 32 will work with Vista 64, and I'm wondering if I can simply upgrade my Vista home premium 32 to home premium 64 without having to buy a full retail version? My 64 bit system came with the 32 bit version, and I'm upgrading my MoBo and adding memory, and I want to upgrade the OS to 64 bit to run smoother on my system. Is it just as easy as doing a repair install, or do I need to wipe my HD and start fresh with the 64-bit version? If so, I'll just go straight to windows 7, but I'm fine with Vista as it stands.

I am not concerned with updating drivers and all that; I understand that part of the process, I just want to know if switching the OS from 32 to 64 is relatively smooth and as simple as running the install program and getting MS on the phone to activate it once I'm done. Any thoughts?

My Computer

Hello Lechgame, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Sorry, but while you can use the same product key to activate either the 32-bit or 64-bit Vista, you can only do a clean install (wipe your system) when going from 32-bit to 64-bit, or the other way around.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
You're most welcome. :)

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Reading through the 20 pages so far, I found only one entry that closely resembles my question/situation. Someone mentioned that the product key for 32 will work with Vista 64, and I'm wondering if I can simply upgrade my Vista home premium 32 to home premium 64 without having to buy a full retail version? My 64 bit system came with the 32 bit version, and I'm upgrading my MoBo and adding memory, and I want to upgrade the OS to 64 bit to run smoother on my system. Is it just as easy as doing a repair install, or do I need to wipe my HD and start fresh with the 64-bit version? If so, I'll just go straight to windows 7, but I'm fine with Vista as it stands.QUOTE]

Might not be worth upgrading to 64 bit if your going to buy win7 instead of using your current vista key, depending on your system.

Whats your system spec going to be like once you have upgraded mobo etc?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    §ĮŁΣNŦ Д$$Д$$ĮN
    CPU
    Xeon X3360
    Motherboard
    P5W64 WS Pro
    Memory
    Corsair XMS2 8gb @ 5-4-4-12 833mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Geforce GTX470 SC+