Asus drw-2014l1t DVD not working

This method didn't work for me.

I've tried disabling hyper threading, setting to AHCI in the BIOS, updating SATA 2 drivers in Vista x64 Ultimate and a myriad of other settings. In addition I moved the SATA cable over to a seperate slot on the m/board.:cry:

After loosing my entire weekend I will waste no time in returning the drive next weekend......:mad:

If you're considering purchasing one of these drives perhaps you might like to examine other brands instead. I work in IT and deal with h/ware issues all day, every day, but this drive has got to go before I break something.

Deb

My Computer

I can understand Deb. This drive has provided numerous folks with nothing but problems - hence thirs thread here and hundreds others like it acroos teh Internet.

Simply put, don't get one of these drives.

I myself have a SONY DRU-830A (yes, I know about hte SONY firmware rootkit fiasco) but it has been nothing but successful for me.

# discs burned - 1000s. # of coasters - 1.

Can't argue with a .1% fail rate.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    INTEL Cherryvill 520 Series SSDSC2CW180A 180 GB SSD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared) | Synaptics TouchPad
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
    AT&T LightSpeed Gigabit Duplex
hello - this is my first post. i have an identical problem as the guy who is also located in philippines except im running vista64 ultimate.

i cannot burn dvd-rw in particular. it seems that it was limping along but now has more issues.

vist64
asus crap dvdrw as noted, set to region3
asus board
sata drive

takes forever for anything to pop up after disk is inserted. allows format or burn dvd-rw and disc closure
when i go to check it, it freezes system AND there 0 files
i am able to erase and start over

if i do a format disc from windows it usually locks

ok so this is what i did...
flashed firmware from asus site
reinstalled driver as per directive in this thread.

what it resolved: everything is the same except i can click now and see files BUT if i close the window and reopen - it freezes. when system is reboot i can do same and same will be replicated.

the drive will play dvd movies.
the drive will not see files burned to dvd-rw on my friends machine.

im pretty much out of ideas...

My Computer

my apologies, here is more information:

i had a pirate copy of nero8 full. i pulled that off and installed nero8 essentials. i pulled that off and in both cases deleted all nero registry entries and orphan files manually and w/ ccleaner.

the described effort above was entirely in windows and no 3rd pty s/w used/tested.

i can only drag and drop media (movie/mp3 files) from window into media player. i cannot drag software or data files. it does state wmp11 can burn dats so????

ps:

1. drives sata hdd/optical with sep cables. all new BUT cable to optical may be the one borrowed from firend and maybe a cheapie although it had a decent feel/look to it.
2. ive dicked around in the cp and device manager about as much as i can tweak it to my knowledge
3.not in the bios

i think its a driver/vista issue. my hunch is that the drive is good despite the crappy drivers.

[admin i dont know what happened to my first post??]

Last edited:

My Computer

no response here. i went out and xch the asus for a liteon and have the same issues so i think that there are no drivers for vistax64. in addition th eliteon came w/ zero7 (the gui is really juvenile) but it did have inCD drivers so i had hope stepping backward was stepping forward.

fyi: while in the shop i saw another asus drive in for xch and b4 i could make it out the door another guy came in with same.

i chked the site (asus and liteon) for drivers. asus no 64 vista and liteon ststes the firmware is current and no drivers.

this is really pathetic when hardware mfgs cannot write simple drivers fast enuff to keep up with microsoft!

i think i may have to go back and install x464. throughly unimpressed with vista anyway AND....

despite 2GB of ram zero goes to windoze basic when launched. i really hate the program now as well.

My Computer

Ive had this drive for about 6 months now and have been VERY unimpressed with how it has gone
i have been able to format any drive with any OS right from the start but as soon as it needs to boot into the os to finish off the format i need to disconect the DRW 2014L1T other wise my computer BSOD
i have managed to get it working in one of my XP x32 partitions but have had unforgiving trouble on vistas
i have updated the chipset for vista with no luck
last vista install i had it would let me boot vista up for about 1.5 mins and then gave me the BSOD

im running a Q9300 on an ASUS P5N-D are there drivers for vista that i havent been able to find? or is there something else i can do

help me please before i torture it from the inside out!

Lachy

edit

Last edited:

My Computer

I have the EXACT same issue as the OP (doesn't read any media).

The fix doesn't work for me. All it does is delete the upperfilters/lowerfilters entry under 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.

Mine doesn't even include that entry. Ugh, this is the 2nd friggin RMA i got from ASUS, and the same drive works perfectly fine on my other machines (linux and windows xp). I am completely stumped.

My Computer

I just wanted to add a BIG THANK YOU to encryptech. I just got a new x64 Vista machine and have had this problem plaguing me for a week now. Did numerous rebuilds and even bought a new drive thinking it might be a hardware infant mortality. When that did not fix it, I started searching again and came across this post.

The reg fix posted by encryptech worked like a charm.
Thanks!

My Computer

I have read thru this thread, I have a problem with my Asus drw-2014l1t DVD as well. It is keeping me from installing Vista on a new PC. I built a new PC, when I load the Vista CD, and do an install, it gets to the point where it wants drivers for this Asus drw-2014l1t DVD and it wont go any furthur until I do. I have tried loading the SATA drivers for the motherboard to which it is attached to no avail. I cant get Vista installed without some sort of driver for this and I am still searching the internet. Asus site only directs me to a utility, but I cant use it until I get the OS installed,,,HELP!!!!! Thx

Tower = LIAN LI PC-61
Mobo = GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Ultra Durable 2(BIOS F7)
Power Supply = Thermaltake Purepower TWV 500W
CPU = Intel Core 2 Q6600 GO Stepping (9 x 266)
CPU Heat Sync = Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler Model U-120E
CPU Heat Sync Fan = Scythe S-FLEX 120mm Case Fan, 1600 RPM Model SFF21F
CPU Heat Sync Thermal Paste = Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Memory = Crucial Ballistix 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800 (PC2 6400) (4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v)
Hard Drive = Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB WD5000AAKS SATA 2
GPU = EVGA GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
DVD/CD Burner = Asus DVD Burner DRW-2014L1T SATA 2
Sound Card = Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Sound Card
Monitor = Gateway XHD3000 30" Widescreen
Fantom G-Force GF500EU 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache USB 2.0 / eSATA External Hard Drive

My Computer

I just got a new asus drw-2014l1t DVD writer (SATA) and installed it in to my Vista box. Windows did its found new hardware thing and then said there is an error installing new hardware. I have no drive for the DVD and the device manager shows that a driver is needed, even though windows used the cdrom.sys driver. I can't seem to find a driver and nothing I have tried seems to work. Anyone know how to fix this or has the driver?

Hi jtracey!

im new to this forum....so hi to all of u guys....:D

i had this problem some time ago with my notebook. i managed to fix it with a small Registry patch. ill include the steps below...

1. go to Device manager by typing "devmgmt.msc" in the RUN command (WinKey+R) or by typing at the quick search in the start menu.

2. right click on the dvdrw device and select uninstall.

3. after it has uninstalled run the patch and click ok when it asks to add information to the registry

4. now go to the device manager and click "scan for hardware changes"

5. the OS should find the dvdrw as a new device and install successfully.

tell me either it works or not.... hope this can help ur problem...

I have tried, but seems not working. I am using Vista X64 ultimate.

My Computer

Asus DRW-2014L1T DVD not:open,work,device manager

Not sure if anybody is still checking around here, but I am having a different variety of the same problem everybody else seems to be having.

My ASUS DRW-2014L1T worked perfectly for the past couple months that I have had it. Recently, it stopped showing up in 'My Computer', but not run anything. It was fixed by deleting the 'upper' and 'lower' filters as seen here (The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista). Following this, it worked fine for another few weeks.

Now, the drive does not work at all. It does not appear in the device manager, it does not read anything nor does it even open. However, the power light is on. I tried the suggestions of people who have already posted and nothing seems to work. I tried unplugging the DVD drive cables, restarting, then replugging back in. I have tried downloading the driver from ASUS's website (it does what somebody mentioned a few posts back where it flashes a quick command screen and then nothing). I have switched the SATA port that it plugs into. I am at a loss of what to try.

Possible contributor. I recently installed the Win7 beta. I did this as a dual partition on my hard drive. Since then, I have uninstalled the Win7 beta and removed the partition so my hard drive is back to one single partition used for Vista. Win7 install took place in between the first and second time the drive stopped working.

Useful Info:
DVD: Asus DRW-2014L1T
MB: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
    Memory
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SyncMaster 941BW
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Western Digital 2500JB External USB
    PSU
    OCZ GameXStream 700W
    Case
    COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX500
    Other Info
    ASUS DRW-2014L1T Lightscribe DVD Drive
Hey i have a rather odd problem. It seems that one of my dvd drives (the same asus drives bought at the same time) has begun to no longer work and it won't read any disc and just sits there like it is trying to open the disc but never does. I have tried encryptech's advice but it still doesn't want to respond. It went through a stage where any disc i put in it wanted to format. I am using vista ultimate x64 and have a quad core cpu and an asus p5n32-e sli motherboard. I have copied the start of the dxdiag document telling me about my pc but nothing i do works. Hope someone can help me it's slowly driving me insane lol. Thanks

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/13/2009, 00:51:48
Machine name: KISHAL
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 2012MB used, 4003MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

My Computer

I just got a new asus drw-2014l1t DVD writer (SATA) and installed it in to my Vista box. Windows did its found new hardware thing and then said there is an error installing new hardware. I have no drive for the DVD and the device manager shows that a driver is needed, even though windows used the cdrom.sys driver. I can't seem to find a driver and nothing I have tried seems to work. Anyone know how to fix this or has the driver?

Hi jtracey!

im new to this forum....so hi to all of u guys....:D

i had this problem some time ago with my notebook. i managed to fix it with a small Registry patch. ill include the steps below...

1. go to Device manager by typing "devmgmt.msc" in the RUN command (WinKey+R) or by typing at the quick search in the start menu.

2. right click on the dvdrw device and select uninstall.

3. after it has uninstalled run the patch and click ok when it asks to add information to the registry

4. now go to the device manager and click "scan for hardware changes"

5. the OS should find the dvdrw as a new device and install successfully.

tell me either it works or not.... hope this can help ur problem...
Fantastic, I tried everything to get my Asus DRW 2014L1t to install a driver, all of the upper/lower reg edits, even deleted the key completely. This problem apparently is the result of AHCI and installing Itunes. This reg fix worked perfectly. My board is an EVGA X58 3X SLI, with a 920 i7. Thanks Encryptech!:D:D:D:D

My Computer

Back