Sliptream Vista SP2

How to Slipstream Vista SP2

information   Information
This will show you how to create a Vista SP2 slipstream installation disc.

Thanks to Flavius.

warning   Warning
Requirements:

Here's How:

Warning:~ Do not install Product key!

[FONT=&quot]1. Install WAIK on OS
2. Install Vista RTM to a secondary partition. (Namely D: with nothing on that drive as all will be deleted)
3. During the installation, once in the Out of Box Experience (OOBE) after set-up starts, press Ctrl+Shift+F3. (The computer will restart and enter Audit mode!)
4. A Sysprep window will pop up. Do not close this Sysprep window.
5. Then find the Vista SP1 installer and then ‘Run’ installer. (The standalone service pack 1 installer from Microsoft which you will have previously downloaded)
6. Run the Vista SP1 Cleanup Tool.
7. Run the SP2 installer.
8. Run the Vista SP2 Cleanup Tool.
9. Once installation has completed Sysprep window will open. Now select OOBE, Generalize, and to Shut Down the system.
10. ‘Boot’ the system into your main OS installed. DO NOT boot back into the Vista RTM you just set-up.
11. Now in the ‘start-up’ box look for the WAIK start-up file, open this up and then select WAIK 'command prompt’ and right click on Run as Administrator.
12. Type in the following imagex command below and press enter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture d: c:\install.wim "Ultimate"[/FONT]
Note   Note
You may need to replace "HomePremium" after the /flags switch with whatever edition of Vista you need installed!
Note   Note

Where d: is the drive that you have installed Vista SP2 on, and c:\install.wim is the location to store the new version of install.wim follow the steps below:~
Now:~
  1. Start UltraISO, and select your DVD drive with your Vista DVD loaded under UltraISO's local header. Next select Tools > Make CD/DVD Image
  2. UltraISO will capture & save your DVD image under \Users\{user ID}\Documents\My ISO Files\LRMCxFRE_EN_DVD.iso (LRMCxFRE_EN_DVD is the volume label of my Vista DVD, your label may be different). Don't change any of the default settings. When UltraISO has saved the image, it will ask you if you want to open it, select yes.
  3. From the opened image, select the /sources folder and browse for the install.wim file. Right-click this file and select delete.
  4. Next copy the new install.wim you created in step 11 (should be on d: or whatever drive you have put it on) above into the /sources folder. then select and drag & drop install.wim to the /sources folder.
  5. From UltraISO's menu select File >: Save
  6. Once the ISO has been saved, make sure that the install.wim file from the /sources folder is the updated install.wim (look at the date).
  7. Now select Tools > Burn CD/DVD Image
  8. When ready, you'll have your Vista install DVD with SP2 included.

It takes about 180 mins.​
Thanks to Flavius again...​

Attachments

• thumb_vista_install_logo.jpg
    thumb_vista_install_logo.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 631
Last edited by a moderator:
Lol sorry I know, I could pirate a copy but that would be to easy. Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp pavillion dv7
    CPU
    AMD Tuiron x2 dual core mobile rm-72
    Memory
    4 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI readon hd 3200
    Monitor(s) Displays
    generic
    Screen Resolution
    1400 x 900
Some experience info.

I had a SFC failure that SFC could not repair so I needed to so a repair install of a Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 system. I slipstreamed an SP2 disc from a Vista SP1 DVD and found that I did not have the upgrade option. I would get a message about the upgrade needing to be a newer version. Some comments here suggested that the problem might be due to the host system having newer updates.

So, I recreated the slipstreamed SP2 and installed all the updates before finishing the SysPrep dialog with OOBE/Generalize/ShutDown. Same problem. It appears then that the problem is not an issue with the actual updates/version in the slipstreamed system but with what version the slipstreamed system thinks it is. Some version number someplace is not getting updated.

In this process I also had the problem with the Ctrl-Shift-F3 not working. I think this is due to using a fancy keyboard (MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, in my case) that allows the function keys to be redefined. I replaced the keyboard with the stock Dell keyboard and Ctrl-Shift-F3 worked fine.

Needing to get the system working, I sprung for a TechNet subscription (I won't use pirated copies). This will also give me a try-before-buy opportunity on other software for the next year. The ISO I downloaded from MS ran and had the upgrade option available so I could do a repair install. This further suggests that it is a slipstream version problem and not a latest-update problem. I have not tried to do a clean install with the slipstreamed disk I created.

Thanks for a great web site!

My Computer

Some experience info.

I had a SFC failure that SFC could not repair so I needed to so a repair install of a Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 system. I slipstreamed an SP2 disc from a Vista SP1 DVD and found that I did not have the upgrade option. I would get a message about the upgrade needing to be a newer version. Some comments here suggested that the problem might be due to the host system having newer updates.
If you oryginal Vista DVD have ability to repair install (from box always have it independly it is OEM or BOX version) I susspect you during instalation Vista to sleapstreaming you entered product key.If yes there is no strange your new sleapstreamed Vista DVD losed ability upgrade & Repair Install.All preregistered Vista DVD (for example from Dell) are devoided ability upgrade & repair install

@Trax1963
Can you suplement this warning for your tutorial?

My Computer

I don't know if the original disc had the ability to do a repair install and I don't have any SP1 systems to try it on to see. Both my Vista x64 systems already have SP2 so I get the usual message that the upgrade option is not available because the upgrade must be a newer version.

I tried both entering the product key and not entering the product key when creating the system to slipstream and both gave the same message about needing a newer version DVD when attempting the repair install.

If I have time I'll try another install on the partition I used for creating the slipstream, but just let it finish and then reboot and see if I can do a repair install on the new system. That should tell me if the DVD can do a repair install. I'll post the results.

My Computer

The original disc has the ability to repair install. I tested it by doing a new Vista install and then immediately trying a repair install. So, as I previously mentioned, it appears that the slipstreamed SP2 thinks it is some earlier version and the repair won't be allowed if the version is older than the system that needs repair.

My Computer

I'm having the same issue, the slipstreamed DVD still thinks it is SP1. I have the updated install.wim on the DVD. I can tell because the original file size was 2.7gb and the new size is over 3gb.

Any ideas?

My Computer

I don't get why I should have to install SP1 when my Vista installation CD already has SP1. Is it really necessary to run SP1 installer, then the SP1 removal tool?

My Computer

I don't get why I should have to install SP1 when my Vista installation CD already has SP1. Is it really necessary to run SP1 installer, then the SP1 removal tool?

No! All you have to do is start from sp2 install.;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 St
    Motherboard
    Asus STRIKER EXTREME 680I SLI
    Memory
    Corsair 4GB Kit (4x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Point Of View 8800GT 512MB GDD
    Sound Card
    Soundmax 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 46"
    Screen Resolution
    1080P
    Hard Drives
    1x WD Raptor WD360ADFD 36GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB Cache
    1x WD Raptor WD740DFD 74GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB Cache
    PSU
    Coolermaster 600W
    Case
    Coolermaster nVidia
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Extreme
    Keyboard
    MS Wireless Entertainment Keyboard 7000
    Mouse
    MS Wireless Laser mouse 8000
    Internet Speed
    1.2mb & 10mb
This instructions need to be updated. I just wasted 2 hours. Gonna have to wipe and start over. :rolleyes:

And what's the point of installing SP2 only to immediately UNINSTALL it with the cleanup tool?

My Computer

Some experience info.

If you oryginal Vista DVD have ability to repair install (from box always have it independly it is OEM or BOX version) I susspect you during instalation Vista to sleapstreaming you entered product key.If yes there is no strange your new sleapstreamed Vista DVD losed ability upgrade & Repair Install.All preregistered Vista DVD (for example from Dell) are devoided ability upgrade & repair install

@Trax1963
Can you suplement this warning for your tutorial?

Done! Thanks for your help Flavius.

@RegEdit Sorry mate have not been on here for 3 months just doing a check-up now when you caught me! You don't uninstall SP2 when you use the cleanup toll it just gets rid of the trash!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Soundmax 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 46"
    Screen Resolution
    1080P
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Coolermaster 600W
    Case
    Coolermaster nVidia
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Extreme
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1.2mb & 10mb
OK I'm rockin' and rollin'. Wish there was a freeware that could edit ISO's. I have a feeling that such a freeware is just around the corner. Someone said that with IsoBuster you can check an options box and allow editing of ISO's. They weren't really sure though.

My Computer

So I create a DVD, tried to install the Vista OS on a computer but it said that the WIM file was missing or corrupted. I wonder if this may have had something to do with the fact that I transferred the WIM and Vista ripped ISO file to a FAT32 USB drive and then over to a Windows XP system (NTFS), then deleted the ISO's WIM file, inserted the new WIM, exported the new ISO file. I checked the data of the new WIM file and it was indeed the new file and it was indeed located inside the sources folder.
IMGBURN verified the DVD that I burned so I don't think it was a problem with the burning process.

My Computer

So my Vista CD is SP1. I'm not supposed to run the SP1 installer, but what about the SP1 Cleanup Tool???

You can use the clean-up tool but there will be very little for it to clean up if anything at all.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Soundmax 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 46"
    Screen Resolution
    1080P
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Coolermaster 600W
    Case
    Coolermaster nVidia
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Extreme
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1.2mb & 10mb
I did the whole process over once again and reached the same installation process error. It tells me that Install.wim doesn't exist on my newly burnt DVD, yet it DOES exist. Anyway I'm just gonna sell my Ultimate DVD and buy one with SP2 on it. This has been a waste of time.

vista-ss2.jpg

vista-ss1.jpg

My Computer

Hi

I followed the guide and works perfectly. But now my question is if its possible to keep all versions of Vista from an OEM disk so that when installing Vista the key decides if its Home Premium, Basic, Ultimate?
I work as an IT-Technician and I have our original Vista OEM dvd but there is no Vista OEM SP2 in Danish out and since we need native Danish for our installations I could use a Vista OEM dvd with SP2 in Danish. Since I cannot enter a key during the making of the dvd I need to select a version to get it to continue but tested with key from Ultimate on it and then you get that error with the key since its a Home Premium I selected.

So is it possible to make the dvd contain all versions of Vista as the original OEM dvd does?

If not then I would just have to make a dvd for each version of Vista but since it takes 2-3 hours for each it would be nice with just 1 dvd :)

April 7th

I managed to get this working. So now I have a working Vista OEM dvd in Danish with SP2 and have tried installing both HomePremium and Ultimate from it without problems and SP2 is integrated. Took some hard work but I managed to find the files I needed to edit to keep all versions on the same dvd :)

Last edited:

My Computer

OK, I have got it working.

I was at first trying this using Nero. The only way I could figure to make a bootable copy/image was to copy retail vista disk to image writer. You would need another tool after to edit the image. If anyone knows a way to only use Nero, explain away...please. You will need to make a bootable UFD disk because the ISO format won't support files greater than 2 GB ie - install.wim, so I think it would take a lot more preperation than most are willing to put in, and its not needed anyways.

As with WAIK, get from www.microsoft.com/download. Search for "WAIK" or "Windows Automated Installation Kit" Pick link that appears like what you want. Just make sure that in the description on the download page, that your operating system is listed under system requirements. If not, then you are using the wrong version.

To sysprep, you don't have to use the "ctrl+shift+f3". It really only works for me on the first startup of windows, and since you have to restart after installing SP2, it just didn't work out for me. You can get to the same place just typing "sysprep" into the startmenu search bar in vista or from an elevated command prompt just cd to "/windows/system32/sysprep" then type "sysprep /oobe /generalize" and it does the same thing also.

I can give simpler and more detailed instruction if anyone needs.

UPDATE:
I think you can do this in nero. Make a custom Bootable UFD image and point nero to C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\etfsboot.com as boot file. I didn't try this yet, but I will. I already have registered Nero myself, why get UltraISO if I don't need it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model