Solved System Boot Fail

a5hm

Hi, Whenever i boot my computer, a screen will come up saying " Warning system boot fail!" and will list my 2 entries "primary master ide : None" and "master slave ide : None". Under this it lists my 3 devices in sata 1st being my primary hdd, 2nd being my cd rom and 3rd being my secondary hd.

Now all this has started since i installed a new graphics card onto my system, since then i have done a clean install of windows, updated graphics drivers and rummaged around bios to no avail. Please can someone help me.

Forgot to mention it gives the option to press F1 to go on regardless, but pc doesn't seem as stable as usual.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    6.00gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD5830
    Sound Card
    Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic 19"
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1x 500gb Sata.
    1x 250gb Sata.
    PSU
    Corsair PSU 650w.
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Multiple Fans
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbp/s
If you've done a clean install, then most of the options I would suggest here don't apply as that would have resolved most issues including most boot issues. Normally I would suggest a Startup Repair and then bootrec.exe to reset the boot configuration - back to the original if necessary - but both of those are essentially covered with a clean boot.

I suggest you check for updates to your BIOS (from your computer manufacturer) and install them. In fact, do so even if they are the same version as there may be some corruption or some other problem and a fresh copy may solve the problem. Then triple-check the settings to make sure that everything is configured properly because this sounds very much like a BIOS problem of some sort (even though you say it started with the new graphics card). Be sure to check any graphics-related BIOS settings (if any) as the new card may possibly require some changes.

If that doesn't work, do you still have the old graphics card and does it work (or a card from another computer you can borrow for testing)? Try replacing the current graphics card with the original or other (and change the drivers of course) and see if the problem goes away. If so, you may want to confirm that the new graphics card is compatible with your system (the version of Vista you are using, the motherboard into which it is inserted, any BIOS graphics settings, and everything else) and that it is not defective (though I don't understand how even then it would cause this particular type of problem but if the old card or other card lets everything work fine, then something about the new card is the cause and you may need to consider replacing it with something else). If not - if the problem persists, then perhaps changing the graphics card was merely a coincidence.

Does this message appear before or after the option to boot into Safe Mode (I suspect before so this probably isn't relevant, but I'd like to rule it out)? If before, ignore the rest of this paragraph. If after, then does the error message appear if you do get to the Safe Mode menu and boot into Safe Mode? Does the computer still seem unstable if this worked?

You may be having troubles with your device drivers, firmware, and/or software (perhaps there's a conflict of some sort or some other problem - possibly with the graphics driver or with some other device that's having a problem with how the graphics driver is configured). This is probably not the issue because it's a boot problem but it does depend when in the boot process it is happening. Go to Device Manager by going to start / search box and type device manager and enter and then double-click on the program icon that appears. Check each device for a red x, yellow ! or white ?. These identify devices with problems (probably drivers, but also conflicts or something else). Click on each for further details and troubleshooting tips. If you need to get drivers (and you should get any you have time to do except for the graphics card which you've already done - they may help in ways beyond just resolving this problem), do so from the computer vendor or device manufacturer (NOT from Microsoft Updates). In fact, you should turn off automatic driver updates from Windows Update as follows: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-disable-automatic-driver-installation-in-windows-vista/. Proceed as follows to get the drivers: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/driverdlmfgr.htm. Once you have the drivers, you can install them through Device Manager as follows: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/193584-device-manager-install-driver.html. You may also want to try the Driver Verifier Manager to see if you can identify the driver or device responsible (assuming that is the cause): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617.

I hope this helps. If not, post back and we'll try to figure out some other options to identify the cause and resolve the problem.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
First and foremost thank you for the informative post, I went to the asus website downloaded a tool to update my bios but it has not sussed the problem, i checked through my devices but it says it's all good. and the screen comes up before the option for safe mode. I'll be able to get my hands on the old graphics cards tomorrow and swap them to see if it still does it. Also would it be because my 2 hard drives aint sata 1 and 2 ? as my cd rom currently resides as sata 2 on the list of available devices.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    6.00gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD5830
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic 19"
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1x 500gb Sata.
    1x 250gb Sata.
    PSU
    Corsair PSU 650w.
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Multiple Fans
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbp/s
Thanks for the update. I was hoping a BIOS update would be the answer, but alas! I'll be interested to hear what happens when you re-install the old card. If it fixes the problem, then we'll pretty much know something about the new card is the cause (though what I'm not sure). If the problem persists, then we'll pretty much be able to rule out the card as the problem since the system was working fine with the old card and if changing back to it doesn't fix the issue, then the issue likely isn't the card (I say likely as there's always a chance that it could still be related somehow - but the likelihood of that would be greatly reduced).

I assume the CD drive is a SATA drive (if not and the message is identifying it as a SATA device then that could very well be involved in the cause - but that would be a symptom, not the cause and we'd need to figure out why it was identified incorrectly and then we would probably find the cause). If it is a SATA drive, I do not believe that the sequence makes much if any difference. What's on the second HDD - backups, data, program files, another operating system (as in a dual-boot scenario - enabled or not), or what? In BIOS, what is the current boot sequence (e.g., CD Drive, Hard Drive Sata 1,...)? Are the IDE cables used for anything at all and are they still connected to the motherboard? If they aren't being used, perhaps removing them might help. The fact that they are connected even if only on one end may be causing the system to think there are IDE devices for some reason and that may be causing at least the first part of the error message. If they aren't being used, removing them can't hurt but keep them as they may be needed later in this or maybe another computer (unless they are integrated with the SATA connectors in which case forget that idea).

I look forward to hearing how swapping the graphics cards went. Also, answers to some of the questions I asked above. Keep me advised.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Well first, sorry for the very long time i haven't replied for ( Been pulling 16hour shifts ).

Well i changed the card about an hour ago, and the message still came up. I'm wondering wether it could be something i did at the beginning which looking back i missed to say. When i installed the card at first i forgot to uninstall my nvidia drivers, afterward i had quite alot of problems with trying to get my ati card install.

I've been browsing around different forums this evening and have seen that alot of people with my motherboard have alot of problems with the "System Boot Fail", most of which appear after graphics card installs.

And last thing. Since the boot fail problem every now and then at random times i get a error for "host process for windows services stopped working and was closed" which 8x out of 10 leads to a blue screen.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    6.00gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD5830
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic 19"
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1x 500gb Sata.
    1x 250gb Sata.
    PSU
    Corsair PSU 650w.
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Multiple Fans
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbp/s
No problem with the delay - I know what it's like to work long hours. While I don't do much of that any more (unless you count my time here in the forums), I know it exhausting and things like fixing the computer get put on the back burner. We'll move at your pace - and I too may be late in responding so it goes both ways. That's the nature of this type of communication.

If you are getting BSOD errors, please follow the instructions in this post: http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-deb...th-bsod-posting-instructions.html#post1285630 to provide us with information that may help diagnose the problem.

Also, I'd like you to go to Start / Control Panel / Computer Management / Disk Management. Make sure it is full screen and take a screenshot and save it as a .jpg file and attach it to your next reply along with the above files.

Then go to Start / Control Panel / Device Manager and expand the entries for the disk drives and the video drivers and take another screenshot, save it as a .jpg file, and attach it to your next reply.

Am I correct that this is your motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. and this is your graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon.

Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

First and foremost, Thank you for all the replys and trying to help me get to the bottom of this problem!

I'm not sure if the second image is quite what you wanted but i think it is. Also yes the graphics card and motherboard are correct, Thanks again.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 70

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    6.00gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD5830
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic 19"
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1x 500gb Sata.
    1x 250gb Sata.
    PSU
    Corsair PSU 650w.
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Multiple Fans
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbp/s
From what I can see, all the drives seem to be fine and recognized. In fact, your hard drives are C: and D: and the CD drive is E: as it should be - and not with the CD drive between the two hard drives as I had thought. There's nothing in those screens to identify a problem (other than drive D is getting a little full, but nowhere near the point of causing this problem - especially since it isn't the boot drive).

You missed one crucial request. Here it is again: If you are getting BSOD errors, please follow the instructions in this post: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions to provide us with information that may help diagnose the problem. Please complete this step.

That will provide details about all the errors you've been getting and help us identify the cause. I need that before I can proceed further or suggest any specific things to try.

Thanks for your assistance.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hehe, sorry to say i don't really seem to have the blue screens anymore. It seemed to happen on the rare occasion but has stopped since. Even more weird is the fact that if i restart my pc maybe 5 times out of 10 it wont bring up the system boot fail message, also when i turn my pc on on the very rare occasion it wont bring up the message. I'm getting paid tomorrow so i think i might have to look into getting it seen by someone.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    6.00gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD5830
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic 19"
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1x 500gb Sata.
    1x 250gb Sata.
    PSU
    Corsair PSU 650w.
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Multiple Fans
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbp/s
If it is now only a boot issue, maybe the following will help:

Do a Startup Repair by booting to the genuine Windows Vista Installation Disk (or one you can borrow from ANYONE) or from a Recovery Disk. Here's the procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91467-startup-repair.html. To boot to the CD you may need to change the BIOS to make the CD-drive first in the boot sequence. To do that, wait for the screen that tells you the F key to push to access the boot menu or boot setup. Push it quickly. Make the changes, save your work, and exit. Put the CD in the drive and reboot. When prompted, push any key to boot from the CD.

If you don't have either disk, you can make a bootable Recovery Disk using
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ along with burning software like:http://www.snapfiles.com/get/active-isoburner.html and, of course, a blank CD.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, try the following:

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps: (you need a Vista Installation Disk to do this)

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
 bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
 c:
 cd boot
 attrib bcd -s -h -r
 ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
 bootrec /RebuildBcd

If you don't have the disk, try EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 and see if that helps resolve the problem.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

P.S. If you decide it's best to have the machine serviced by a professional, that's a perfectly satisfactory solution. Even though it will cost more than doing it yourself, it's more likely to get done properly (because the above is not guaranteed to resolve the issue - it may well be a hardware problem in which case having it serviced may turn out to be the only reasonable solution).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

First and foremost, Thank you for all your help. It has been invaluable. You stuck to this thread helping me with informative after informative post and put the effort in.

I have fixed the problem it seems, as i downloaded a new bios update and had to flash it to it, so now every boot goes straight through clean as a whistle.

So thank's again for all the help and replys. Hope you have a good one, take care.

Ah yeah forgot about that, on the first time round the ez flash program wouldn't ask for my os, so i could not get it for vista x64.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory
    6.00gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD5830
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic 19"
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1x 500gb Sata.
    1x 250gb Sata.
    PSU
    Corsair PSU 650w.
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Multiple Fans
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbp/s
It was my pleasure - I'm glad I was able to help. It's interesting that the solution turned out to be what I suggested in the second paragraph of my very first reply - I wonder why it didn't work the first time? I guess we'll never know.

Thanks for the update and letting us know how it all turned out - it is appreciated.

Don't forget to close out the thread by clicking the far right triangular icon at the top of your post and typing "solved" in the box and submitting it. The moderators will notice and put a green check next to the thread title. That way others seeking answers by searching the forums will know that this thread contains a solution to the issue identified in the title - and people seeking to help will not waste time checking out this thread since it has been resolved. Nevermind, I did it myself.

Good luck and best wishes!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940