Vista No Longer Supported by Most Security Software

Vistaar

Vista Guru
When I started this list back in March 2016, there were only five or six security products that had ended support for Windows Vista. For this March 2019 Revision, I have changed the title from "...Some Security Software" to "...Most Security Software." One would hope that Vista's few remaining users have learned to look up system requirements by now, but this list might still prove useful to someone. By "Vista No Longer Supported" I of course mean that current versions of the product are incompatible with Vista. In many cases - perhaps nearly all cases - a version that is old enough to work on Vista can still receive definition updates, so please do not post to inform me of that. If anyone knows of another security product that has ended support for Vista, then please post that information here! However, please DO NOT post any recommendations or questions regarding software that DOES support Vista,
or explanations regarding the continued use of unsupported products here (start your own thread instead). Thanks!

Adaware -

Your browser may not allow you to visit their website, but Support for Windows XP and Windows Vista has ended.​

Avast -

The last version of Avast to support Vista was 18.8. See End of support for Windows XP/Vista

AVG -

AVG is owned by Avast: AVG ends support for Windows XP & Vista.​

Avira -

Avira ended support for Vista way back in 2013: Avira Product Lifecycle Archive.​

Bitdefender -

Bitdefender once relegated Vista and XP to a special version: Bitdefender Security for Windows XP and Vista - but that link now redirects to a current version that does not support Vista. Bitdefender Antivirus Free does not support Vista either, and there is no legacy download.​

Emsisoft -

FortiClient -

The last version to support Vista was 5.2.4. Windows XP 32 bit was still supported as of 5.4.1.​

F-Secure -

G Data -

With the exception of business solutions, PC products require Windows 7 or higher.​

Immunet -

Kaspersky -

Malwarebytes -

McAfee -

Microsoft Security Essentials -

All versions from 4.5 (released in 2014) to the current 4.10 ceased to function on Vista beginning April 11, 2017.​

Nano -

See NANO Antivirus system requirements.​

Sandboxie -

See Sandboxie - Frequently Asked Questions. Version 5.26 reported usable on Vista in September 2018.​

Sophos Home -

New free antivirus that only supports Windows 7 and higher (see System requirements for installing Sophos Home).​

Spybot -

Version 2.4 was the last to support Vista and XP: Spybot 2.5 Compatibility.​
Trend Micro -
Trusteer -
Vipre -

Last versions of software for Windows Vista

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Tatl

I like this sentence:
"Windows XP or Windows Vista devices with Norton have more protection against malware than an unprotected system would."

My Computer

wither 3

Vista Guru
Gold Member
I can say that Norton has lived up to what it said in the referenced link. I use Norton Security.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps

wither 3

Vista Guru
Gold Member
The legacy version (3.5...........) of Malwarebytes (see Post 4) which was supposed to be operable in Vista is no longer supported using the free download. Could be it is viable for those who have a purchased copy.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB