• Maxthon

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 12.9%
  • Browser...we don't need no stinking browser

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters

mich

Well 14 mths since my last post on this thread, my Vista is still running sweetly with FF absolutely no problems.

I had to replace my laptop 2 months ago so decided to go for W10 on a DELL laptop, a bit of a mistake on my part the touch pad is ultra sensitive and apparently it is a well known issue which has not been fixed by DELL it is some thing that I will have to live with or ditch it for another brand. Sorry if it is a bit off topic.

My Computer

Vistaar

Vista Guru
...Vista is still running sweetly with FF absolutely no problems. I had to replace my laptop 2 months ago so decided to go for W10...
Hello mich,

You would be well-advised to use your Windows 10 PC for all web browsing and keep your old Vista PC offline (which is exactly what I do these days). Your Vista system hasn't been patched for more than 2 years, the last-ever Firefox 52 security update was issued more than a year ago, and now your Vista has a known vulnerability called BlueKeep that does not affect Windows 8 or 10.

For those who are still determined to use Vista for web browsing: Did you see my post at the bottom of the previous page about a Chromium 69 fork from China?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Vistaar

Vista Guru
I use Cyberfox 52.9.0
Welcome arcadianbue. I didn’t think Cyberfox supported Vista - in fact its sourceforge page plainly stated, “Windows Vista Unsupported.” But you must be an advanced user, because a very advanced user at MSFN once posted instructions to get that browser working on Vista. Too bad it would still not be possible to watch h.264 HD videos using Cyberfox on Vista. I’m not sure why you would prefer Cyberfox to other Firefox 52 forks that supported Vista?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Yes, true but I managed to get it working for x64 version of Vista by changing its code to recognize kernel 6 instead of 6.1....
Congratulations! I suspected you must be running Vista x64, and therefore would not be content with the x86 browsers that are always recommended at this forum. Too bad Cyberfox development ended in 2018. I wonder if you have heard of developer roytam1, who maintains builds of various Firefox forks (both x64 and x86) with support for Windows XP and Vista: My Browser Builds (Part 3). They might not be as fast as your Cyberfox, but have useful updates such as full support for TLS 1.3, and with third-party decoders you could watch h.264 videos.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

19jmsr56

Hello. On my Vista Business 64bit build 6.0.6003 with the latest updates from July 13, 2021 including IE9, as browsers I use MyPal 29.2.1 64bit, regularly weekly updated Serpent 59.2.0 64bit, NewMoon 28.10.4a1 64bit. The default is 360 Chrome Browser 13.5.1052.0 (... just got an update yesterday ...) on the Chrome kernel 86.0.4240.198. I didn't make friends with K-meleon.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer/ Extensa 5210
    CPU
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU [email protected] 1,60Ghz
    Motherboard
    Acer Dallen
    Memory
    DDR2 2560MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Intel Azalia HD audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15,4 "WXGA CrystalBrite TFT
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD800BEVS-22RST0
    Mouse
    HP Wireless Mouse X3000/
    Internet Speed
    50Mb/5Mb/sec

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Welcome 19jmsr56. “Serpent 59.2.0” has to be a typo: I’m sure you mean “52.9.0,” but you seem to know which browsers compatible with Vista have not been completely abandoned by developers, which is commendable. Good luck! :)

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

19jmsr56

I'm sorry, Vistaar, it's really a typo in the Serpent version :-). And thank you for the welcome.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer/ Extensa 5210
    CPU
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU [email protected] 1,60Ghz
    Motherboard
    Acer Dallen
    Memory
    DDR2 2560MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family