Why SP1 may not be available for you and how to get it

a better standalone Vista SP2 download for ALL languages from MS download center
best to use this one rather than the one above my post when using Vista Ultimate or Vista enterprise

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 640m/e1405 laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33Ghz
    Memory
    4Gb (3.24Gb usable to OS)
    Sound Card
    Sigmatel/IDT STAC9200
    Internet Speed
    Spectrum Cable Internet up to 100Mbps
The old Download Center links generally don’t work anymore, but SP1 and SP2 for Windows Vista can still be found at Microsoft Update Catalog for the time being.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
is service pack 1 available anymore for windows vista or not/ i have looked every where and what i see ( or think I see) as the service pack 1 download takes me to something totally different/ if anyone knows where I can download sp1 without any hassles could you please post it on here/ i had to reinstall my vista/ now i need to install sp1 then sp2/ but cant get sp2 until i install sp1/ so if i could find out where to get sp1 & sp2 without searching for 2 hours and without a bunch of stuff that i am not looking for i will greatly appreciate it/ thanks in advance

My Computer

Hi freeze:

Standalone .exe installers for Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330, released March 2008) and Service Pack 2 (KB948465, released May 2009) are still available for download from the Microsoft Update Catalog at the following links:

Service Pack 1: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Vista KB936330
Service Pack 2: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Vista KB948465

SP1 is a prerequisite for SP2 and must be installed first if your current Vista OS has no service packs installed. Select the smaller Five Languages installer if your OS is English, French German, Japanese or Spanish (for other languages use the All Languages installer) and be sure to download the 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) .exe installer that matches your current OS. Save the installer to your desktop, close your browser and other open programs, right-click on the .exe file and choose "Run as Administrator" to run the installer.

Microsoft Update Catalog Vista Service Pack 2 KB948465 29 Dec 2020.png

Unfortunately, Microsoft deactivated the Windows Update servers for older operating systems like Win XP and Vista on 03-Aug-2020, which means that you will not be able to use Windows Update to patch your system back to end of extended support (11-Apr-2017) after SP2 is applied - see the Microsoft support article Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices for more information. Before you start applying Service Packs you might want to consider posting in the thread Vista ISO Download in this forum and ask SIW2 if you can to obtain a "fully updated" ISO that includes SP1 and SP2 as well as all ~200 Vista security updates released prior to 11-Apr-2017 and reinstall with this slipstreamed ISO - just mention your Vista edition and whether you need a 32-bit of 64-bit ISO.

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory