windows update just seems to hang while checking.

No
I have a replacement disc from MS, as the original is gone, and the new disc has SP2 already in it.
Yes they all installed successfully.

I've tried that suggestion ages ago, and no difference.

I do have Office 2010 installed, but I have the exact same issue with another Desktop, which does not have Office installed.

Right now, I am trying WSUS Offline Update on the laptop.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista Business x64
I do have Office 2010 installed, but I have the exact same issue with another Desktop, which does not have Office installed. Right now, I am trying WSUS Offline Update on the laptop.

Hi it0uchpods:

Post back and let us know how well Torsten Wittrock's WSUS Offline Update tool works. Most Vista SP2 users I know who use this tool think it's great, but it can be a bit confusing for new users until they've figured out how to trigger the installation process.

I'm still not clear about what you did after the SP2 service pack was installed. The Vista SP2 service pack was released 25-May-2009 and comes bundled with IE7, not IE9. Your list of .msu installers in post # 539 includes KB4012204 (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista: March 14, 2017) so I'm not sure how this update installed successfully unless you had already upgraded your browser to IE 9 before trying to patch your Vista SP2 OS. Did you run a script to install these .msu installers, and if so did you confirm at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates that all these updates installed successfully before running Windows Update? The WUSA might not display an error message even if an update fails to install correctly, depending on the switches (e.g. /quiet /norestart, etc.) used when running these scripts from an elevated command prompt.

A fresh re-install of Vista SP2 now requires about 200 individual patches to bring it up-to-date. I always recommend that users patch their Vista SP2 OS after a clean re-install before installing any other software. If you installed other Microsoft products like MS Office 2010, IE9, MSE, etc. before patching your OS it would be very difficult for the latest Windows Update Agent v7.6.7600.256 for Vista SP2 (released June 2012) to find all available updates in one update session, even with speed up patches for Vista SP2, IE9 and Office 2010 pre-installed.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0.1 * NIS v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
Here are my steps on the Desktop, let's ignore the laptop for now.
Installed Vista SP2 on clean HDD.
Installed all previous and current speed patches
Installed IE9
Installed IE9 patch

Hope that clears it up.

I have used Offline WSUS now. It installed 172 updates. I will test if Win Update works when I am home.

Kind Regards,
Josh

My Computer

System One

• Operating System

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
Okay. Mission accomplished. But I've seen some things that I don't quite understand.

I pre-installed KB4012497. Rebooted, then ran a check. "Checking for updates..." lasted approximately fourty-nine minutes before coming back with eleven updates. Ignoring the MSRT, this left me with almost 30 MB (or somewhere abouts...) of updates...

KB4012204
KB4011981
KB3216916
KB3217587
KB4012583
KB4012598
KB4012584
KB3218362
KB3205715
KB3214051

...Now, this makes me nervous. Because I'm on dial-up, sessions with this many files tend to time out, lose connectionsor whatever. This shouldn't be a problem, but the way Windows Update works, if it loses it's connection, it will simply run ahead with what it's got and install whatever complete updates it has.

So think about this. I'm downloading eleven files. If I get only four or those files, and it dies on the fifth? Then it will install the first four. It will most likely ask for a reboot. So I'd reboot, come back, and attempt to get those remaining updates again......

...Except it took me almost an hour to get that first batch. Which means I'd now have to rerun that hour of waiting to reclaim the remaining updates.

What I'm saying is...I decided to play this thing like a chess game. I planned it out as best I could to avoid this "rerun" problem, and I ended up doing it all in three passes over the course of three days.

The two biggest updates in this batch were the IE9 update at 14.7 MB, and KB4011981, which was about 8.3 (I think?). So I selected the smallest nine, which all totalled about six-and-a-half MB and just went for it. Happily, all came through and installed without a hitch. :)

The next day, I came back and returned to Windows Update. Once again, "Checking for updates..." lasted approximately fourty-nine minutes before coming back with three updates.

Wait, three? Yes. MSRT was on the list again. I don't know whether it unhid itself, or maybe the one I hid yesterday was for March, while I think this one might've been for February? Maybe? I'm not sure. Either way, I've been reading the posts here and I can see that this is an old, well-known problem already. So...

But the thing that I find curious about the second pass is how long it took. I find it strange that KB4012583 was installed in the first pass, yet the second pass was no faster than the first. At least, not for me anyways.

Right. So I re-hid the MSRT, then got to work on KB4011981. Once again, all came through with no problems. :)

Finally, the next day, the third pass, I figured would be interesting. For a long time now, the IE9 updates have consistently died on me during downloading. It'd be easy to blame my dial-up, but I've seen other people on other forums complaining of the same problem. I'd like to think most of those people are running way faster connections than mine, so I don't think I'm entirely at fault here.

On the third check, "Checking for updates..." lasted almost fourty-eight minutes. The IE9 update was the only "Important" link that came back. I got the install done, but the process was......weird.

My modem downloaded to about 5%, then suddenly, progress jumped to 11%, the hard drive started clicking, and there was zero modem activity. What's weird is, the percentage kept rising, even though it was all hard drive and no modem. This went on for some minutes...I'd say maybe somewhere around twenty?...until it got to 45%. At that point, the hard drive stopped it's clicking and the modem started downloading again.

I don't get this. In my mind, the only thing that would account for this behavior would be if it already had a portion of the file downloaded from some point before. Or maybe it's scanning my installed copy of IE9 to determine what's needed? Maybe? I don't know. Microsoft kind of lost me on all this stuff a long time ago. :(

Anyways, the download rumbled along until 63%. Just as I had predicted, the connection died and I got a red shield icon with a "Try Again" button. At the bottom of the window, it says "Code 80072EE2 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.". I can only be thankful that my strategy payed off and I click the button to continue on.

Based on my tray icons, I could see there was lots of downloading going on during the second try. Yet progress seemed to be crawling. I brought up my "connection status" box and watched the "Bytes Received". Slowly, the progress climbed, but the status window showed it was downloading way more than the 14.7 MB this update's supposed to be. It ended up being a little more than twenty-one by the time it was finished. I'm hardly an expert on these things, but I'm going to just assume that all this was done through an encrypted connection. I don't know the nuts-and-bolts reasons for why, but my experience is, bytewise, encrypted transfers tend to take more traffic than unencrypted ones. That makes sense to me, but I don't know where in the process all that stuff occurs, so...

Progress got to about 88%, then suddenly jumped to 90%, then 95%, then the hard drive started clicking again and the install occurred. Post-reboot, all seems well, and we're done for the month.

So, in three sessions, nothing that was less than fourty-eight minutes, even though I started with one pre-installed "speed-up" KB, and picked up another during the first pass. Maybe I should've pre-installed KB4012204? I'm thinking if this happens again next month, if there's one last IE9 patch, I'll start with it first to see what happens in any following passes.

Anyways, I apologize for my rambling. This post would be a lot shorter if not for the weirdness in the third pass. I'm posting this information with the hope that if there's someone out there that's baffled by all this, maybe something here can help them. I don't know.

Again, many thanks to this forum for their great work and due diligence in this fiasco. I've a suspicion people will be coming back to this thread and others like it for some years to come before all's said and done.

See you all next month.

My Computer

Hi TeknomanSlade,

April's next (and final) release of the Cumulative Security Update for IE9 is certain to become a new trigger of the issue. Install it right away along with April's release of the Kernel-Mode Driver update (successor of KB4012497).

The speeding-up effect lies in removing an issue from your menu of updates to be searched for. It's more than one with IE9 or MS Office installed.

You have helped the process a lot by installing one of the triggers (KB4012497) in advance, but could have returned to January's search times by preinstalling KB4012204, too.

KB4012583 didn't have an influence because when KB3191203 is installed, it doesn't pose an additional problem.

Also see: windows update just seems to hang while checking.

Regards, VZ

My Computer

...Because I'm on dial-up, sessions with this many files tend to time out, lose connectionsor whatever. This shouldn't be a problem, but the way Windows Update works, if it loses it's connection, it will simply run ahead with what it's got and install whatever complete updates it has.

Hi TeknomanSlade:

I don't know if this would help, but I posted instructions a few years ago in aggrevated1's thread Norton AntiVirus 2011 Won't Complete Updates in the Norton forum about adjusting dial-up modem settings (e.g., Maximum Port Speed, Receive and Transmit buffer sizes, "Disconnect a call if idle for more than...") to reduce disconnects. The default setting for "Disconnect a call if idle for more than..." for many dial-up modems is 30 min, and you can increase this setting (or disable it altogether) to help reduce the number of disconnects by your modem when you're downloading large files. Changing this setting might not help, however, if your ISP automatically disconnects dial-up connections from their own back end server after a set period of inactivity.

Just remember, though - if you don't have unlimited Internet (i.e., your ISP charges an hourly fee for connection times above your monthly limit) you don't want the "Disconnect a call if idle for more than..." on your modem set too high or disabled all the time.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0.1 * NIS v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Hi Volume Z and Imacri. :)

Volume, I don't think I've had Automatic Search for updates turned on for a very long time. As per the usual best practices around here. So I'm not entirely sure the post you linked me to applies to me. Thanks anyways though. :)

Imacri, thank you for the advice. I think I may have mispoke in my post though. The point I'm trying to make isn't so much that my dial-up is dying. It's that something's happening on Microsoft's side that's causing it to die. When I clicked "Try again", I was still online, using the same connection.

I've checked all the boxes you mentioned in your thread. Everything appears maxed out already in terms of speed, and I have unchecked the "Disconnect if idle..." box. To be honest, I've had plenty of downloads and connections that have lasted happily for hours. So maybe I'm biased, but most lost connections, I tend to blame the other side for it. ;)

But seriously though, I have seen other people complain of losing connections on the IE9 updates way more than the other KBs. Perhaps they're using a different server for them?

Anyways, thanks guys. :)

My Computer

*Nod* Will do. I'll let you all know how it turns out next month then. Thanks. :)

I should probably also mention I've got eight "Optional"s I've been putting off. I'm wondering what Vista WU will do once Microsoft has cut off the flow, and have been considering making attempts in May, June, etc. to find out.

My Computer

Just an FYI that my step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours are now revised for the March 2017 Patch Tuesday Updates.

The consensus among most early testers is that users who were fully patched as of January 2017 only need to install the KB4012497 (Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers and for Microsoft Graphics Component: March 14, 2017) recommended by Dalai at Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution to speed up Windows Update in March 2017. That isn't too surprising since this is the update that includes the Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) update in the file manifest. These users find that Windows Update often runs to completion in under one hour with this single speed up patch as long as they don't have a supported version of MS Office or the MS Office Compatibility Pack installed.

Dalai's second speed up patch KB4012583 (part 1 of MS17-013 Security Update for Microsoft Graphics Component: March 14, 2017) and/or the KB4012204 (MS17-006 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista: March 14, 2017) are likely more beneficial for users with 32-bit Vista SP2 machines with slow CPUs and limited amounts of RAM or users who have several months worth of updates waiting to be installed.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0 * NIS v22.9.0.71 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Remember folks the KB4012497 win32k.sys update is a "temporary" fix that will speed up Windows Update searching/checking until April 10, 2017. If Microsoft releases a newer win32k.sys update on April 11 (Patch Tuesday for April and EOL for Vista), the KB4012497 update will no longer work and the "checking for updates" problem may come back on 4/11/2017 (and will require another new win32k.sys update).

I've already put Vista out of its misery on my mom's old Dell Inspiron e1405 laptop a few years ago (which used to have pre-installed Vista Home Basic Edition and upgraded to Win7 SP1 Home Premium Edition). Patching the windows update agent app directly would have been the long-term solution (as Microsoft did for Win7 SP1 with the KB3161608 and KB3172605 updates), but MS didn't develop a newer windows update agent/client for Vista SP2 (beyond WUA v7.6.7600.256) which is a big bummer.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 640m/e1405 laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33Ghz
    Memory
    4Gb (3.24Gb usable to OS)
    Sound Card
    Sigmatel/IDT STAC9200
    Internet Speed
    Spectrum Cable Internet up to 100Mbps
Hi Guys

This is my first post on this forum so bear with me, i am still struggling with Windows Updates on my 32bit Vista Laptop
and hope i can get some needed help on here.
As of December 2016 i think i was fully updated with 21 Updates on the 3rd December, then between the 15th and 20th
of December downloaded another 12 updates.
Since then it's been very hit and miss and i have only downloaded the speed up files listed next, January KB3216775 and
March KB'S 4012204. 4012497 and 4012583.

So far today my laptop has been on for 5 hours and I'm still waiting for updates to come through is there something i am
missing here or what, i have seen others only waiting 1 hour for updates to come it really is a pain, so any help for me i would
be most grateful thanks.

My Computer

Please install these updates , after reboot, you can check out new update by using windows update. ^_^

KB3164033
KB3205638
KB4012497
KB4012583

Hi Guys

This is my first post on this forum so bear with me, i am still struggling with Windows Updates on my 32bit Vista Laptop
and hope i can get some needed help on here.
As of December 2016 i think i was fully updated with 21 Updates on the 3rd December, then between the 15th and 20th
of December downloaded another 12 updates.
Since then it's been very hit and miss and i have only downloaded the speed up files listed next, January KB3216775 and
March KB'S 4012204. 4012497 and 4012583.

So far today my laptop has been on for 5 hours and I'm still waiting for updates to come through is there something i am
missing here or what, i have seen others only waiting 1 hour for updates to come it really is a pain, so any help for me i would
be most grateful thanks.

My Computer

Please install these updates , after reboot, you can check out new update by using windows update. ^_^
KB3164033 KB3205638 KB4012497 KB4012583

Hi DeanMao:

That list looks out-of-date. The Microsoft Update Catalog shows that KB3164033 (MS16-074: Description of the security update for Microsoft Graphics Component: June 14, 2016) has been superseded by the newer KB3203859 (MS16-132: Description of the security update for Microsoft graphics component: November 8, 2016).

Supersedence Chain Vista SP2 3164033 June 2016.png

If Rainsberger is correct that he was fully patched as of December 2016 [i.e., KB3191203 (rel. 11-Oct-2016); KB3203859 (rel. 08-Nov-2016); KB3205638 (rel. 13-Dec-2016) were previously installed] and he has recently installed KB4012204, KB4012497 and KB4012583 from March 2017 then he should have all the required Vista SP2 speed up patches for the March 2017 Patch Tuesday updates. As Volume Z noted in post # 556, he might need to pre-install additional updates if he has MS Office or the MS Office Compatibility Pack installed on his system.

Tomorrow is 11-Apr-2017, the official release date for the April 2017 Patch Tuesday updates, so anyone still having problems with "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates might want to wait a few days for feedback on how well the next speed up patch for April 2017 works.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0.2 * NIS v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
I was fully patched as of March 2017 and pre-installed three updates this month: the KB4015195 recommended by Dalai at http://wu.krelay.de/en/, KB4015380 (which now replaces KB3203859 from 08-Nov-2016) and the IE9 cumulative update KB4014661. Windows Update ran to completion in 55 min on my 32-bit machine (the initial "Checking for updates..." phase only required 35 min) and found 11 Important and 2 Optional additional updates. The two updates for my MS Office Compatibility Pack didn't seem to have any significant impact on my "Checking for updates..." hang this month and the only minor glitch I noticed was that the installation of the large April 2017 MS .NET Framework Rollup seemed very slow.

Windows Update History 11 Apr 2017.jpg

If you have a supported version of MS Office or the MS Office Compatibility Pack that still receives security updates via Windows Update this can significantly increase your "Checking for updates..." hang. Volume Z has already updated his download links for additional April 2017 updates for MS Office-related products in peggybeggs' thread why has vista stopped automatic updates? that could help speed up Windows Update if this applies to you.

I've now revised my instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours for the April 2017 Patch Tuesday updates. My full list of required speed up patches currently stands at KB3191203 (rel. 11-Oct-2016); KB3205638 (rel. 13-Dec-2016); KB4012583 (rel. 14-Mar-2017); KB4015195 (rel. 11-Apr-2017); KB4015380 (rel. 11-Apr-2017). I've listed KB4014661 (April 2017 cumulative update for IE9) as an optional update since it seems to help reduce "Checking for updates..." hangs on some systems, especially if your system is several month's out-of-date. Download links and step-by-step installation instructions are posted in m#l's thread.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0.2 * NIS v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
I was fully patched as of March 2017 and pre-installed three updates this month: the KB4015195 recommended by Dalia at Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution, KB4015380 (which now replaces KB3203859 from 08-Nov-2016) and the IE9 cumulative update KB4014661. Windows Update ran to completion in 55 min on my 32-bit machine (the initial "Checking for updates..." phase only required 35 min) and found 11 Important and 2 Optional

Thanks Imacri!

Installing updates:
KB4015195
KB4015380
KB4014661

seemed to yield the same results here -- about 1 hour total.

Question...what do we do next month? Ha-Ha!

My Computer

Back