Reinstalling Vista w/o using recovery disks?

Going to wrap things up with this now, I've done everything I can. It's set up for remote access so anything else can be done remotely if necessary.

Anyway I ran another sfc /scannow after trying to set it up to create recovery disks and it threw up some errors. sfcdetails attached. Not sure if this will cause any problems though and don't know how to deal with it if it does...?

Attachments

• sfcdetails (2).txt
    55.2 KB · Views: 9

My Computer

Just about to try a complete reinstall on my aunts computer, a 5 year old desktop E3408 eMachine. Anyone know how I can tell which version of Vista to install? I still have SP1 disks. Also do I need a BIOD password for this? I guess I'm about to find out.

My Computer

If you want to know the Vista version that you have now:
If you have a computer Icon on your desktop, right click and then properties. It will show your current version.
If you do not have a computer on the desktop, type computer in search by the start button and then right click and then properties. This is an alternate method that gets you to the same place.
If you cannot do the above, put your CD in the computer, be sure to boot from the CD.
Then when asked for the product Key number, insert it. You should be given the correct version of Vista.
Dont forget the most important step. Have a great Holiday Season.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Don't I need to install sp1 before sp2 anyway? It's so slow this computer, complete mess. I hope I don't need a bios password. AOL and McAfee are to blame i think, whole thing is grinding. it's probaby best if I just reinstall everything from scratch.

My Computer

Yes, you must install SP1 before SP2, but I dont think that this changes what I stated in my earlier post.
If you have a DVD with SP1, it should have all the versions. The correct one should be released when you give your product Key Number
You can determine the correct version, beforehand, but using the My Computer Icon as I mentioned, earlier.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Yes, you must install SP1 before SP2, but I dont think that this changes what I stated in my earlier post.
If you have a DVD with SP1, it should have all the versions. The correct one should be released when you give your product Key Number
You can determine the correct version, beforehand, but using the My Computer Icon as I mentioned, earlier.

Got it. SP1. Just fixed the door on the ODD, hoping I don't need a bios password like last time I tried this.

My Computer

Thanks just looking at that page right now as it happens. BIOS?CMOS menu is different though is it possible that I need a supervisor password?

My Computer

It is possible that you need a BIOS password. If you do it would have been created by the owner of the computer.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
How can I tell? I'm still working on the problem with getting it boot from the dvd.

It just le me change the password, a six digit one so I can only assume there was no possword in the first place.

My Computer

Set it to boot from DVD in the menu and still it wont boot. Do I have the files burned right to the disc, maybe they need to be in a folder...?

My Computer

XXXXXXX it this is the second time I've tried to do this and it's turned out to be a pain in the XXX/undoable!

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Two main reasons that it will not boot
Defective or not burned properly CD
or
Defective computer
When you try to boot, do you receive a notice, that the computer will boot from the CD in so many seconds?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
No notice like that. am I using the right files? These are the files I burned, which I think are the ones i was going to use last time.

boot.wim
install.wim
X14-63452

My Computer

Well it looks like I'm just going to have to uninstall all the crapware again and reinstall everything, which will probably take all night and all day tomorrow seeing as it's going irritatingly slow and McAfee and AOL keep opening up and grinding the whole system to a halt...

My Computer

Fantastic, prompted me to reinstall after I uninstalled some crap and now I can't get back into windows without going through start up repair which is taking forever. Tried f8>safe mode, still went into it. What a mess...

My Computer

All those problems definately mean that you booted from the C drive. Check your owners manual for the way to change the BIOS password, then you could boot from the CD.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays