Services.msc + OneCare

We probably can get this fixed, but I have two questons.

First, I read the entire thread, again, quickly, I did not see a mention of System Restore, if not used, go back a week before the problem started and then see if it works.

On page 2 of this opus, my third post, I mention that I had done a restore back to 2 weeks before the problems. No joy. In fact I started with a restore point the day before the problems, and continued to work backward. When I reached two weeks, I quit.

Second: If necessary, how do you feel about going back to factory specs, the way it was the day you bought the computer. No progarms etc. As far as updates, you only have to install the 3 SP and a few updates that were not included in the SP
The above is the recovery drive.

I do have most everything backed on an external hard drive.

My Computer

Do you know how to go back to factory specs, use the recovery drive?

You must reinstall all of your programs.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Ok I have to trust you on the f11, every computer is different.

I have no other answers, and that is what the recovery drive is for.

I can only say I have no other solutions. If you have everything backed up, If you have a DVD with a key for all of your programs. etc. There is no reason not to try.

But, since I have to leave soon, its getting late. If you get it working, do not install one care. Get Microsoft security Essentials and Malwarebytes, plus a good firewall.

Any help or questions that you have about the new install, I will be here to share my expertise with you.

The final call is up to you.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I will be here until 11:15, another 15 minutes and then again tomorrow.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Ill try to get the official information for you

Give me the brand etc of your computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
HP Pavilion 2000

Hallo Boweasel, Rich is offline at the moment but he will need more info on your computer like the full model no.
So you can be prepared for him if you look at the Vista Forums Browser you will see User CP in there you will find edit your ststem specs, i know it looks a bit daunting but if you could fill them out as best you can it will make his job a lot easier & i know he will greatly appreciate it.

A great little tool to get this info is Speccy, if you download the zip portable file then right click on it and select extract all. Then just click on Speccy.exe it will produce all the info you need to fill out your system specs. :)

Speccy - Download

View attachment 18510

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett Packard, compaq presario CQ60-305AU
    CPU
    AMD Athlon QI-46 2.1 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Wistron 303C
    Memory
    2048 Mb DDR2 SD Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidea GE Go Force 8200M G / 256Mb dedicated grapics memory
    Sound Card
    MCP78S NVidea High definition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" High Definition Brightview Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1336x768
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba MK2555GSX ATA
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS2/Touchpad
Hallo Boweasel, Rich is offline at the moment but he will need more info on your computer like the full model no.
So you can be prepared for him if you look at the Vista Forums Browser you will see User CP in there you will find edit your ststem specs, i know it looks a bit daunting but if you could fill them out as best you can it will make his job a lot easier & i know he will greatly appreciate it.
Full model number is Hp Pavilion dv2700.
I have no clue what you mean when you say 'look at the Vista Forums Browser you will see User CP in there you will find edit your ststem specs'

My Computer

Morning,

If you look at frame number 3, it tells you how to do a recovery for HP. You told me the key is f11, follow the instructions using f11, if that does not work follow the instructions on the sheet, using f10. According to the sheet, HP has a nice feature the nondestructive recovery, which will bring you back to working condition without losing any of your information. I await your next post. I think you know, I hope that everything is working, again and you can start your weekend right.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hi,

In the top left hand corner of the screen, underneath the big Vista Forums logo, underneath the "Forum" button, you will see "User CP". Open this in a new tab. On the big list on the left hand side of the "User CP", click on "Edit System Spec". Fill out all the fields you can using the program Mitchell gave you, then click "Save Changes" at the bottom.

Thanks,

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
Frankly, I think the hole problem has something to do with security, or permissions.
When I download AVG antivirus onto the PC, I can't run the setup file from the desktop icon. It just sits there. If, instead of dowloading, I click 'run', then it loads to the tempoary file and ties to run from there. Then I get this message box, that normally only appears for a second, something about 'verifying avg setup....'. But now, that msg never goes away.

And this business of having to run as an administrator... Never happened before. And the UAC prompt not coming up any more...

And yet, in safe mode with networking I can do just about anything I want....

My Computer

If you can get everything to work perfectly from safe mode, then you should be able to do a clean boot to determine the exact cause of the problem. Try this

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7.

We mentioned this before, I know, but if safe mode works, this should be able to diagnose.

From what you are saying if we can get rid of AVG, everything may work. You also said that in safe mode, it works. Can you unistall AVG in safe mode? You can use revno or use the control panel? It was tried before, but we have tried quite a few remedies, perhaps you can uninstall,now, in safe mode.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
If you can get everything to work perfectly from safe mode, then you should be able to do a clean boot to determine the exact cause of the problem.

Exactly....

We mentioned this before, I know, but if safe mode works, this should be able to diagnose.

From what you are saying if we can get rid of AVG, everything may work. You also said that in safe mode, it works. Can you unistall AVG in safe mode? You can use revno or use the control panel? It was tried before, but we have tried quite a few remedies, perhaps you can uninstall,now, in safe mode.

Not AVG, OneCare... and no I still cannot uninstall in safe mode. Uninstall seems to be the ONLY think I can't do in sagfe mode. I have been running a clean boot for some time, plus I have unchecked the Windows OneCare from the system services.

My Computer

OK,then, we are in the same situation as last night, then. What are your thoughts concerning a recovery? I gave you the info last night.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Was pretty much out all day.

In safe mode I disabled the UAC, rebooted and the security icon had disappeared from malwarebytes. And I was able to go to services.msc., in normal mode. I could access msconfig, in normal mode. Hallelujah!!

I'm going to bring in up to SP2 and hope that it clears up any remaining glitches.

Will keep you posted.

My Computer

Okay, it's not going as swimmingly as I'd hoped....

I cannot access the Windows updates, either through the All Programs, or the Control panel - it just sits there with the ole blue circle. Can't get the updates to do ANYTHING in safe mode.

So even though the PC seems 95% okay, I think I'll have to use the F11 key.
Morning,
If you look at frame number 3, it tells you how to do a recovery for HP. You told me the key is f11, follow the instructions using f11, if that does not work follow the instructions on the sheet, using f10.

You've lost me... What do you mean by 'frame number 3'? What do you mean by 'the sheet'?
According to the sheet, HP has a nice feature the nondestructive recovery, which will bring you back to working condition without losing any of your information.
Sounds fabulous... if only I knew what 'sheet' you are referring to...

My Computer

I think that it has come down to a recovery. I will do everything in my power to help. If you want to do the recovery, and you can get your hands on another laptop we can try to do it together.

Here is the recovery procedure again.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/har...port/162525-laptop-recovery-instructions.html

Look at post number 3.

You should be given the option for a non destructive recovery, which if works is great. You will not lose anything and will not even have to use your back up.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays