Services.msc + OneCare

No, it did not reinstall any user-added programs. Loading MS Security Essentials now... you like this better than AVG?

MSE is one of the best, at least 75% of the membership recommend it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
To reiterate the question I posed above.... do you like MS Security Essentials better than AVG?

AVG runs by itself.... I do like Malwarebytes.

My Computer

I do like MSE better than AVG.

MSE uses little resources, gets good ratings, as far as keeping up to date with virus definitions. In addition, it was made for Windows, fewer conflicts or problems

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Almost everything is back to normal.... My daughter did the backups (it's her laptop), and she failed to backup the desktop icons. So even though I have Firedog and Firedog Advisor in Programs and Files on the C: drive, I have no icon for the programs. Same deal with something called Safari. And ITunes....

Last edited:

My Computer

I have only one suggestion, which in this situation may not work. Follow option 3 in this tutorial after making a system restore point.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117229-icon-cache-rebuild.html?ltr=I

This will work if the icon cache contains the missing icons.

Reinstalling the program will of course work, but a key number will be required and any changes made, since first install will be gone.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I found this with Google, you may find help for the other icons, too.

I lost safari.. help...how can i get it back? - Yahoo! Answers

Try going to program,bysearch, go to the problem program, right click> properties and then choose new icon. There may be several tabs on the top. In the case of Office Which I have) you have to go to customize tab. Look around you will find it.

You can also try going to programs, by start, right clicking and then send to. See what type of icon is sent to desktop. If you must send to doucments first, you can then drag to desktop

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I have come up with several new suggestions, since my original post. Read the above two posts again, for additional information.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Have found work-arounds for the icon problems.

Daughter has taken the laptop back to college - she simply couldn't wait any longer, and she seems quite happy with the work that we've done.

The only existing problem seems to be with MS Office. The recovery put a trail version on her laptop, although I had already backed up everything on the external drive. She even had a Word document on her desktop from before the disaster, and although the document does open, she is prompted for a 25 digit key code. We did dig out the original disks and their box, and entered the code, but it came back as invalid. I don't know what the problem is exactly. We had used the disks originally to install Office on her old laptop, and then when she got a new one, she put it on that one, and we had no problems. But now it doesn't seem to want to let her install it a second time on her (relatively) new laptop.

Thanks for all your help...

My Computer

Well, the questions are getting easier to answer.

Here is a list of free software that will help retreive lost key numbers.

Key Finder Programs - Top 13 Free Product Key Finder Programs - Keyfinder Software

Just so you know. I am really glad that everything worked out and that I was able to play a part in this happy ending.

A common error that is made with key numbers, make sure you do not coufuse letters with numbers is it a zero or an o. Is it 1 or l.?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Well, the questions are getting easier to answer.

Here is a list of free software that will help retreive lost key numbers.

Key Finder Programs - Top 13 Free Product Key Finder Programs - Keyfinder Software

Just so you know. I am really glad that everything worked out and that I was able to play a part in this happy ending.

A common error that is made with key numbers, make sure you do not coufuse letters with numbers is it a zero or an o. Is it 1 or l.?

Well, the key code contains nothing but numbers and capital letters, so we couldn't confuse an l with a 1, and it had no zeroes or 'o's. I guess I can forward her the key finder link you sent, although why the key we entered did not work is a mystery. Strangely, the error about an invalid code came up after we entered the 24th digit, not the 25th. The 3 times I did input the code I entered the last digit anyway, but it made no difference. There is no other place she could have gotten the code from, so I am baffled. I don't know if a call to MS would bear any fruit or not...

Oh, and MS Essentials does run an automatic scan on a specified time/day of the week, so it seems to be every bit as user friendly as AVG. Thanks for the tip.

My Computer

Are you certain the the key number is for the same software?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Sure.... MS Word is part of MS Office, and we've got the disks for MS Office, and when I access MS Word it asks for a 25 digit key code.

Have to go out for a few hours...

My Computer

Back