SP1 Public Download Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's been a long wait for some of you, but SP1 has finally been released.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to Windows Vista that addresses feedback from our customers. In addition to previously released updates, SP1 will contain changes focused on addressing specific reliability, performance, and compatibility issues; supporting new types of hardware; and adding support for several emerging standards. SP1 also will continue to make it easier for IT administrators to deploy and manage Windows Vista. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone version can be installed on systems with any of the following language versions: English (US), French, German, Japanese, or Spanish (Traditional).

You should now be able to grab SP1 from windows update or you can download the stand alone packages from the following links.

Download: Windows Vista SP1 Five Language Standalone

32bit Package (434.5 MB) (x86)

64bit package (726.5 MB) (x64)

Honestly? I think by the time I've figured it out, we'll all be discussing Vista SP2, or installing Windows 7....

Ha ha thats a good one! and AFAICT,
z3r010 seems to be right since the deployment guide tells us :

Integrated installation. SP1 is integrated into the Windows Vista installation DVD, and it is also available as part of the media kit for Volume License customers as well as TechNet and MSDN subscribers. Microsoft recommends that you not create your own integrated installation images by installing SP1 on a Windows Vista computer and then capturing the image.

So it seems i have to write it to a dvd/cd and remember to put it back after re-installing vista!

Also something noteworthy:
Installation method Approximate disk space requirements
Stand-alone installation •x86-based: 2,500 MB to 5,450 MB
•x64-based: 4,100 MB to 7,850 MB

Windows Update •x86-based: 1,200 MB
•x64-based: 1,500 MB

Integrated installation •15 GB <- WHOOPING!!

Note:

For more information about system requirements for Windows Vista, see System requirements for Windows Vista.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built Gigabyte-Intel-ATI-Transcend-SONY combo
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G31M-ES2C [Intel G31]
    Memory
    1.5 GB DDRII 667 MHz [512+1024]
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4770 512 MB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio [ALC882 codec onboard]
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW+ (20" Wide)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900 x 60Hz @ 32bpp
    Hard Drives
    1 x 40 GB P-ATA
    1 x 160 GB S-ATA [Win7 with Win XP SP3 dual boot]
    1 x 1 TB S-ATA
    PSU
    VIP 400 W
    Case
    Zebronics Elegance
    Cooling
    All fan [2 on case side and 1 behind]
    Keyboard
    i-ball i-key Multimedia keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Standard Optical Tilt-Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    256 kbps Cable
So it seems i have to write it to a dvd/cd and remember to put it back after re-installing vista!

Something I am not looking forward to. I finished building my new computer (Prometheus) yesterday. Vista x64 Ultimate took about 33 minutes to install, drivers another 23 minutes, and SP1 a whopping 1 hour and 5 minutes. A total of 2 hours!

Cripes. Microsoft better sell be a Vista Install DVD with SP1 integrated, and without a license (so I can use my existing one), for nothing more than S&H costs. I'm NOT going to sit for another 2 hours again if I ever need to reload Prometheus in the future. And I haven't even counted in the time for installing all my applications - which I'm still busy with, btw...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi
    Memory
    2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAHARA 21"
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 80GB Seagate (I)
    2 x 120GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 200GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 250GB Seagate (I/S)
    PSU
    800W
    Case
    Thermaltake Tai-Chi
    Cooling
    Tai-Chi Water Cooler
    Keyboard
    Genius
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    384kbps
    Other Info
    Currently dual booting between Vista x64 Ultimate Windows 7 BETA x64
:cry:
:eek:

Can any one help please... Ive tried nearly everything to install SP1 download, public and then when checking my windows updates found it there to download with some other tools to help. I installed these b ut the SP1 will not install. gets to 13% then error code 80073712 comes up and I have to try again, same thing happens. Ive tryed restarting , checked disk space, even read the learn how to install SP1 from help and how to forum. No luck again My system is vista home basics 32bit. Ive checked drivers and it says all is up to date. very confusing for a semi learner. help...

What fixed it for me was to do a system restore, (from a previous restore point not a backup), then try it again. It should work, but don't ask me why!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    My custom build
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 Mainboard
    Memory
    GSKIL DDR2 800 C4- 4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG 8800GTS 512 OC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi CM771 19"
    Hard Drives
    WD Raptor 75GB
    WD 500 GB
    PSU
    Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000W
    Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
    Cooling
    ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    MS wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 11 Workstation
    Manufacturer/Model
    doofenshmirtz evil incorporated
    CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
    Motherboard
    Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB ROG Strix LC OC
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3 x27" Dell U2724D & 1 x 34" Dell U3415W
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 4.0 x4 NVMe Solid State
    Drive
    PSU
    1500W ThermalTake Toughpower
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT
    Cooling
    Enermax Liqtech 240
    Keyboard
    Surface Ergonomic.
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    350 Mb/s
    Other Info
    WinTV NovaTD
    HP CP1515n Color Laser
    Sony BD-5300S-0B Blu-ray Writer
    Microsoft LifeCam Cinema
    APC 750i Smart UPS
  • Operating System
    windows 10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    1.9GHz Intel Core i5-4300U (dual-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost)
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Monitor(s) Displays
    12" Multi Touch
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 144
    Hard Drives
    128GB
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Keyboard
    yes
    Internet Speed
    350 Mb/s
maybe if HP integrated it into my recovery partition somehow. that would be cool, but i don't think it's about to happen. Took like half an hour to re-install itself then forever to download the nearly 1 gig of upgrades

My Computer

I think that I'll be doing a reformat and reinstalling 64-bit and not doing the upgrade to SP1. Since the upgrade, there are a few applications that won't run, won't install or that now crash when, before the update, they worked absolutely fine. I used 32-bit Vista on my laptop and after reformatting and reinstalling it several times, I found that I either received a bad DVD for 32-bit or that 32-bit is just a hunk of junk because I've had more problems with things working on 32-bit than anything. The only problem I had with 64-bit prior to SP1 was finding a good AV (ended up going with Avast!). Since SP1, my 64-bit has been acting like the 32-bit - crappy!

My Computer

Just an FYI... after installing SP1, if fixed the issues I was having with MM/DVD Maker for the past 5 months. Well worth the time it took to download/install. I'm one happy camper!

My Computer

Note worthly: After installing SP1 I had a couple of items that needed attention as I was having trouble removing them. No problem just do a system restore, ah the SP1 had wiped out all but 2 of my restore points. But back in time I go, I like adventure silly me. I then got a notification that I needed to download the SP1, so I did. Now I get a notification that I am not to to use the computer as it is takeing back SP1 which it did. Now there is another notification that I need to download the SP1. Now how do I get out of this one, simple I did a Factory Recovery. Then ran disks and downloaded everything from A to Z including SP1. Everything is running like a singer sewing machine. I did have a problrm with sleep but thanks to this site I new where to go. It is fixed also. Final note, I am now able to use the Windows one care scanner now, but do be careful useing system restore right after downloading SP1. Happy Trails.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    H P Pavilion s3120n
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20GHz
    Motherboard
    M2Nc51-AR
    Memory
    Ram 2.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphis
    Sound Card
    Realtex
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VX2035WM
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050 pixels
    Hard Drives
    320GB 7200RPM Serial ATA
    PSU
    AC Bel Model#PC6012
    Cooling
    fan
    Keyboard
    PS2
    Mouse
    PS2
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1 up
    Other Info
    Computer has had the motherboard, power pak and tv tuner replaced. Using HP Deskjet F440 Printer, and IE9.
Note worthly: After installing SP1 I had a couple of items that needed attention as I was having trouble removing them. No problem just do a system restore, ah the SP1 had wiped out all but 2 of my restore points. But back in time I go, I like adventure silly me. I then got a notification that I needed to download the SP1, so I did. Now I get a notification that I am not to to use the computer as it is takeing back SP1 which it did. Now there is another notification that I need to download the SP1. Now how do I get out of this one, simple I did a Factory Recovery. Then ran disks and downloaded everything from A to Z including SP1. Everything is running like a singer sewing machine. I did have a problrm with sleep but thanks to this site I new where to go. It is fixed also. Final note, I am now able to use the Windows one care scanner now, but do be careful useing system restore right after downloading SP1. Happy Trails.

William,

Glad everything worked out for you. Thanks for sharing your experience with the other members.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 X 1 GB DDR2 Kingston 800 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    3360x1050
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Internal Main
    500 GB USB External
    160 GB USB External
    2TB USB External
    Internet Speed
    DSL 3MB
I was under the impression that SP1 can not be slip-streamed.

I think Ed Bott over at ZDnet slipstreamed it... If not Ed Bott, one of those guys, search ZDnet. There are specific instructions on how to do it over there, I can get a link but each time I go to ZDnet I get into a flame war with someone, so I try to avoid the place (ehehe)

You other guys, Dragor etc, since the Service packs are 400 to 600 MB, I just burn it on s CD to install.

It is not that much of a deal and the RTM actually installs much faster than the RC. I know that is not much help if you do not have 8 hours to install VistSh1t, but at least you can do it at your leisure.

Does ANYONE know how to remove that entire Program Compatibility Assisstant?

My Computer

Hi all,
I posted this earlier in the week.

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/140232-sp1-restore-points.html

Now I see that I am not the only one SP1 did this to.

william gunkel wrote
No problem just do a system restore, ah the SP1 had wiped out all but 2 of my restore points.

Last night (Sat.), my weekly clean/tune, I shut everything out.
I created a Restore Point then opened AusLogics Registry Defrag.
(run as Admin in Admin acct.) Reg. Defrag did its thing as always,
created its own Restore Point, Restart then I closed it. I then
went to Create a Restore Point "after" as I always do. You guessed it! The only Restore Point I had was SP1 !!! Any ideas ???
Also I did load SP1 @ WU.

I got the idea from this thread...
I haven't done it yet.

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/140390-make-vista-sp1-permanent-save-disk-space.html

Do any of you have any ideas ???

I am also going to post this at my original thread, so please post replys HERE

Thank you all for any and all help !!!

Later :shock: Ted

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    * BFK Customs *
    CPU
    Intel C2Q 9550 Yorkfield
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q Pro
    Memory
    8GB Dominator 8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX ATI 1GB 4870 XXX
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD 7-1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1x 47" LCD HDMI & 2x 26" LCD HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080P & 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2x 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache WD Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX
    Case
    CM Cosmos RC-1000
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120, 2x 140mm and 3x 120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    HP Enhansed Multimedia
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    18.6Mb/s
    Other Info
    My First Build ;)
I have just made SP1 permanent on my system and saved some space. We'll see if this was a mistake but i do not think so!:cool:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5920gmi notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.00GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 x 4294967296 colors
    Internet Speed
    crawl
So far SP-1 has doubled my boot Time and the O/S has frozen up once so we'll se where this goes...

Another big issue I'm having is I/E keeps crashing and Media Player is almost unusable due to crashes.
I'm going to try and install Winamp, maybe it's more stable than Win Media player. How did Bill Gates put it? Vista, the most stable O/S in the history of Microsoft...

Last edited:

My Computer

Does ANYONE know how to remove that entire Program Compatibility Assisstant?

OFF TOPIC: You could've started a new thread about that. I think I know how, but please start a new thread.

ON TOPIC: Thanks, btw for the ZDNet comment. After scouring through the whole deployment guide, its conclusive enough to say that its neither worth the pain nor the time that is required to slipstream SP1 into a Vista setup.

From what I can tell, you need to install Vista to a new partition, then install SP1 in that, then come back to your original Vista and use some image capturing tool which will create an image with SP1. This image, I suppose, can then be burned to a DVD.

It is unclear whether or not this DVD would be bootable or not, so use discretion.

Don't blame me if it isn't! ;-)

Thanks and cheers!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built Gigabyte-Intel-ATI-Transcend-SONY combo
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G31M-ES2C [Intel G31]
    Memory
    1.5 GB DDRII 667 MHz [512+1024]
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4770 512 MB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio [ALC882 codec onboard]
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW+ (20" Wide)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900 x 60Hz @ 32bpp
    Hard Drives
    1 x 40 GB P-ATA
    1 x 160 GB S-ATA [Win7 with Win XP SP3 dual boot]
    1 x 1 TB S-ATA
    PSU
    VIP 400 W
    Case
    Zebronics Elegance
    Cooling
    All fan [2 on case side and 1 behind]
    Keyboard
    i-ball i-key Multimedia keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Standard Optical Tilt-Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    256 kbps Cable
um, so I got SP1 back in February as a "guinea pig" and then over my spring break, last week, I decided to re-image or something my computer using my recovery partition as provided by HP. Now I cannot get SP1 via automatic updates.

Will it show up later or should I just download the full package and go with that?

My Computer

It should show up when the other updates are installed for your system, You can download the full package and install it anytime.

My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back