Blekko in stead if IE?

Great, take your time. When you understand how it works, we will make a copy of your hard drive. Then even if the worst happens you can use the image to reinstall. We will also make copies of your documents and back them up using Karens Replicator.
I dont know what is doing now, but I doubt if its backing up your hard drive.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I dont know what was backed up but it was not the entire C drive/the operating system. You probably backed up your documents. But makes no difference, we are going to make all the back ups that you need together. That way you will know how to do it in the future and we know everything was backe up at least once.
This is how you do it. Download Macrium Reflect.
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
Read how to make an image of your hard drive.
Then make an image of it and save it to the external.
Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Forums
What I want you to do is make an image, now, if you are completely satisfied with the way the computer works..
You will always keep that image
A month from now, or sonner, make another image, you now have two.
The next month, you can delete the second image and make another.
You will always have 2 images, the first that you made and the subsequent that you will make ( once a month if you dont make many changes to the computer, or more often if you make many changes)

On your hard drive you have about 125 GB of stuff. That includes the hard drive and all your stuff and your software.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Well Rich, I might, just might be making progress. got the program downloaded, went to the tutorial video. I created a rescue disc, well actually it turned into 3 discs. Now I am cloning my drive to the external drive, not sure if it will work but giving it a go. I will get back to you. It must be getting late in Texas.

My Computer

Sounds like you are doing well.
You may want to start over, though. I find it best to image and not clone. In any event, I image mine and if you have any problems, I will be able to give you more help if you need assistance. Dont get discouraged, you will be an expert in these areas when we are done.
TBH 3 CDs dont sound right. What is the capacity of your CDs?
Im in Connecticut, its near NYC and the Atlantic.

Read this article, so that you know why image is better in your situation
http://www.pcworld.com/article/164972/should_i_image_the_hard_drive_or_clone_it.html

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
It doesn'r recognize the drive when I go to image, it will only recognize it when I clone. Now to complicate things, it says it cant do it because the drive isn't formatted. I am in the process now but it looks like it will take 12 hours or more to format 1.5 TB, I'm getting frustrated!!!!!

My Computer

No reason to get frustrated. Is a new HD and it has to be formatted first. Be sure to format in NTFS and not Fat32.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Just off to bed....Heres where I'm at....I have re formatted the external drive. I cancelled the full Format, I calculated it would have taken 18 hours to do!!! I'm going to thoroughly read up the help files for the drive and start all over. I might not be able to do too much tomorrow as I'm busy in the afternoon and I want to devote a whole day to it, perhaps Saturday.

My Computer

Dont worry about your schedule. There are times you will not be available, and times that I will be absent. In either event, you will be helped when you do post. We have a staff of members who are here for the sole purpose of helping others and will be glad to help you out when you return, if I am not avaialble. As I mentioned, in a few days, I will be away for a couple of weeks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Good morning Rich, I hope I can get this done tomorrow or the next day. What I'm going to do is thoroughly read theinstructions for the drive and more importantly, the software. I went into it a bit like a bull in a china shop yesterday. Now I'm going to take my time, first thing tomorrow I'm going to try again....

My Computer

Dont worry about your schedule. There are times you will not be available, and times that I will be absent. In either event, you will be helped when you do post. We have a staff of members who are here for the sole purpose of helping others and will be glad to help you out when you return, if I am not avaialble. As I mentioned, in a few days, I will be away for a couple of weeks.

I'm still subscribed to this thread, so if there are any urgent issues remaining when you come to leave then I'm more than happy to make a few posts wherever I can :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
Take your time. Its not difficult and someone will always be here to help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT

I'm still subscribed to this thread, so if there are any urgent issues remaining when you come to leave then I'm more than happy to make a few posts wherever I can :)

Your concern is appreciated

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Good morning Rich, hope you are out there this morning? Going to try and back up my drive today. Now I think I have another wrinkle, I think I might have wiped the software off the nes external drive. Can I just go ahead and use the Macrium software instead?

My Computer

You can start with an empty external drive. Actually, I dont know what you wiped from it. If you received a CD with the hard drive, use the CD to help install and restore any software. If you are installed, you can just use Macrium. Make an image and not a clone. If you cant make an image, you installed the HD improperly. There may have been some software on the HD that allows the HD to make automatic backups. It is not really needed, however.
Before you start, remember the screen shot that you sent us? Go back to the screen that shows the drives. If the external shows, I think that you are all set.
Read my post, about keeping the original drive image. Good luck

EDIT:After your format, you had nothing on the HD. If there was software it was put there by the CD.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I just cant get this done....It shows the external drive as Local Drive (F:) when I go to my computer but when I type that into the destination folder I get the message Invalid command syntax. If I copy the drive name exactly it tells me not use symbols. Where do I go from here?

My Computer

Welcome Back
Let me see a screen shot of your all your drives. That will be the same screen shot that you sent, before, but with the external showing.
Send me a screen shot of the command that you are making for the destination. I am assuming this will be a screen shot of Macrium.
I think that you made the destination command in an incorrect manner, but lets see.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Rich, I think it's working!!!!!!!! Eurica. I'm writing this from yy IPad, hope you get it. It looks like its working, I typed F:/ as was listed and it's busily "Saving". I'm just going to sit back until it finishes. Anything I need to do after the saving is all done? Can't thank you enough Rich, you are giving me the confidence to have a go. I will be back.

My Computer

Back