ReBoot Time

SIW2

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Hi Arc Angel,

My registry is 75mb right now on 7 , from memory I think it's about 56mb on Vista - but that has been defragged.

If your boot drive is the same as your System drive, you might have a look at a registry defrag. app.

I use the reg defrag included in glaryutilities - free version available here

http://www.glaryutilities.com/gu.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

Arc Angel XVI

Hi Arc Angel,

My registry is 75mb right now on 7 , from memory I think it's about 56mb on Vista - but that has been defragged.

If your boot drive is the same as your System drive, you might have a look at a registry defrag. app.

I use the reg defrag included in glaryutilities - free version available here

Glary Utilities

Hope it helps

SIW2

Wow. Actually just did another format (no particular reason other than annoyance) and my registry backup is 145 mb. Is this normal for a re-installation using an OEM recovery disk?

And I've used registry defrag utilities before. I'm just curious as to why it's so large after a fresh Vista install.

S

stew2

I reinstalled vista OEM a week ago due to artifacts appearing on my screen. It was a last ditch attempt at saving my pc but it seems my graphics card has died on me. Anyway my registry is now 80mb with all my programmes and files installed apart from my pc games.

I only have one hard drive so when i installed vista i partitioned the hard drive into two equal sizes and installed vista on the first partition and my user folder which includes "app data", "documents", "music" etc went to the second partition.

I recommend everyone do this on a fully formated disk as its reduced fragmentation loads. Also Tune Up Utilities can be used to defrag the registry and the rest of the hard drive once vista is installed and its free for thirty days.

MilesAhead

Eclectician
Vista Guru
Gold Member

Aw, beat me by 9 seconds. Just did a factory re-image and registry clean and my new all time low is 85 seconds.

Heh. I have a USB external that I just leave hooked up. I'm sure I lose about 10 - 15 seconds while that spins down and back up. It's too convenient to remove though. :)

Arc Angel XVI

Aw, beat me by 9 seconds. Just did a factory re-image and registry clean and my new all time low is 85 seconds.

Heh. I have a USB external that I just leave hooked up. I'm sure I lose about 10 - 15 seconds while that spins down and back up. It's too convenient to remove though. :)

Lol. I still got that annoying black screen before login :cry:

And judging by everyone's registry sizes, I wonder why mine (also after an OEM re-install) is around 180mb. Before I did any recoving or system re-imaging my registry was about 80mb so I have no idea what's going on... (and I did run a registry clean... so I'm even more confused!)

Arc Angel XVI

I'm pretty sure I have that enabled, but I have no clue on how to view the log or how to interpret it. And the loading bar screen for my is fairly quick. It's just afterwards when I get a random black screen / blacks screen with a cursor. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to happen as friends I know w/ notebooks don't have it (they also decided to do clean installs of another Vista edition).

ASeven721

Here's my boot time without any tweaks. Actually just found this site today. Hoping to improve with some tweaks soon.

Setup is Core 2 Quad Q9300, 6 GB Ram, 750 gb(7200rpm) Vista x64

Attachments

• BoottimeOld.jpg
    BoottimeOld.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 158

MilesAhead

Eclectician
Vista Guru
Gold Member
@ Arc Angel XVI it's not rocket science. If you open the file "ntbootlog.txt" from your windows folder and read it, it's obvious what's going on. If it tries to load drivers that don't exist, it's gonna' search for them. Slows things down. The hanging cursor I would suspect graphics drivers. You might check for updates from whoever made the video card. When that cursor is there it's still in "text mode" as we used to run Dos in all the time. If it's taking a long time to change into a graphics mode it's likely the video but that's not certain. Again, the more you know about what's happening during boot, the better your chances of tracking down the problem. Linux, Dos, OS/2, XP, Vista you track the startup bugs down pretty much the same way in all of 'em.

kiddieboy12

sloowlag
dude...i have the same.

u got some tweaking.

i have amd dual core 4200+
3gb ram
nvdia geforce 6150 nforce 430

no tweaking except for readyboost

readyboost helps. it the first thing micosoft made that useful

Sheesh this is slow..........

Thanks, my comment about the slow time was tongue in cheek. You can click on the "My System Specs" link at the bottom of my post to see the specs. If you have any questions on the specs I can give you some details. I didn't have the ReBoot Time application installed before I started streamlining the computer but it was taking about 45 seconds to cold boot to desktop. Shutdown is 11 seconds from mouse click to disks stopped. I will eventually do some overclocking on the CPU, I hope to get it to 3.5 - 3.7 GHz using the OEM cooling. I got the computer last December and have just now started to tweak it. It's fun!

Last edited: