Repair Install For Vista

How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista

information   Information
This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs. You will be performing a Upgrade Install from within your currently running Vista.

You will have to use the exact same Vista installation media type that you currently have installed.

Note   Note

• You will not be able to do a upgrade install in Safe Mode.
  • You must have Retail Full or Upgrade Vista installation DVD to do this. Some people have had problems with a Full version letting them do a upgrade install though.
  • A OEM (retail version) Vista installation DVD that you buy at a store and does not come with the computer are usually the same as a regular retail (full or upgrade) Vista installation DVD, but have a OEM license (product key number) instead of a retail license (product key number).
  • If you have a OEM Recovery Vista installation DVD that came preinstalled with your OEM brand computer instead, then it will most likely only be a clone of the hard drive with Vista allowing you to only do a clean install with it instead. These OEM computers often have a Recovery D:\ partition that does the same thing as the OEM Recovery Vista installation DVD.
  • If you have a Anytime Upgrade Vista installation DVD, then you will not be able to do this.
  • The Vista installation DVD that you use to do the repair (upgrade) install must be the same or newer version of Vista with the Windows Updates and SP level than what you currently have installed. If the DVD is a older version, then you cannot do a repair (upgrade) install with it.
  • IF YOU HAVE THE VISTA SP1 INSTALLED:
    • This will not work if you have SP1 installed unless your Vista installation DVD includes the SP1, or you create a Vista SP1 slipstream installation DVD (See below). When the SP1 is installed, it will give Vista a newer version number than what is on the original Vista installation DVD.
    • You can only do a Upgrade install if the currently installed Vista is the same or older version than what is on the Vista installation DVD.
    • To create a Vista SP1 slipstream installation DVD to use to do a Repair (upgrade) install, see: How to Create a Vista SP1 Slipstream Installation DVD. Note that this does not always work to use for a Repair install.
    • Another option is to uninstall the Vista SP1, then run the Repair install and install the SP1 again afterwards. To uninstall the SP1, see: Microsoft Help and Support: How to uninstall Windows Vista SP1 as a troubleshooting step
  • IF YOU HAVE THE VISTA SP2 INSTALLED:
    • This will not work if you have SP1 and SP2 installed unless your Vista installation DVD includes SP2.
    • To create a Vista SP2 slipstream installation DVD to use to do a Repair (upgrade) install, see: How to Slipstream Vista SP2. Note that this does not always work to use for a Repair install.
  • Be sure to backup any important data you have, just in case something goes wrong during installation. You may need to reinstall some of your drivers. You do not want to do this if you are dual booting with XP and Vista was not installed as the primary boot drive. It can cause XP to not startup anymore.
Tip   Tip
If you are have installation error problems, then see:
warning   Warning
If you changed the default location of the Program Files or Programs Files (x86) folder, then you will need to change it back to the C: drive, and change any shortcuts that pointed to the other location to also point to the C: drive before doing a repair install.

ITEMS THAT WILL BE RESET TO DEFAULT:

Here's How:

Note   Note

• If Vista is still not working properly afterwards, then a Clean Install would be recommended.
  • You may need to reinstall some of your drivers after the Repair (upgrade) install.
  • You will not be able to do a upgrade install in Safe Mode.

1. While logged in Vista as an administrator, insert the Vista installation DVD into the DVD drive, or connect a Vista installation USB thumb/key drive.

WARNING: Do not boot the computer and run the Vista installation DVD from boot. A upgrade install will not work this way.

Note   Note
If you do not have a Vista with SP1 installation DVD/USB, then you can download an official Vista with SP1 ISO file here: Microsoft: Vista Direct Download Links, and use Windows 7 USB-DVD Download Tool to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive with the ISO to do the repair install.

2. Click on Install Now to start the upgrade. (See screenshot below)

NOTE: If AutoPlay does not load the Vista setup screen, then open your DVD drive in Computer and click on the Setup file.
Install_now.jpg
3. If you want Vista to check for updates during the installation, then click on that to select it. (See screenshot below)

NOTE: It will install faster if you select Do not get the latest updates for installation. You can install them later through Windows Update.
Updates.jpg
4. Do not type in a product key. (See screenshot below)

WARNING: If you do type in the same activated product key that you already have installed, then you can end up in Reduced Functionality Mode.

5. Leave the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box unchecked.

6. Click on Next.
Product_Key.jpg
7. Click on the No button for the Do you want to enter your product key now? prompt. (See screenshot below)
Product_Key_Confirmation.jpg
8. Select which edition of Vista you have. (See screenshot below)

9. Check the I have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased box and click on Next. (See screenshot below)
Windows_Version.jpg
10. Click on the Upgrade option. (See screenshot below)
Upgrade.jpg
11. Follow any instructions left until Vista is through installing and has rebooted to the final welcome screen on the Vista desktop.

12. Remove the Vista installation DVD.

13. Check to see if any files are missing. If so look in the bolded files shown in step 14 below to see if they are in there. You can then just copy them back.

14. Run Disk Cleanup.
A) If listed, check Files discarded by Windows upgrade. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: These will be the leftover upgrade files, C:\Windows.old, C:\$INPLACE.~TR and C:\$WINDOWS.~Q, that did not get copied over. If any personal username files are missing, it would be in these folders.​
B) Click on OK to delete it.​
Disk_Cleanup.jpg

15. Now all you need to do is to activate Vista.
A) Right click on Computer (Start Menu) and click on Properties, or open the Control Panel (Classic View) and click on the System icon.​
B) Scroll down a bit and click on: Activate Windows Now. (See screenshot below)​
Activate.jpg

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• thumb_vista_install_logo.jpg
    thumb_vista_install_logo.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 473
Ugh. Well, I thought I was following the directions. I have an OEM Vista Home Premium x64 with SP2 preinstalled by HP. I borrowed a Home Premium SP2 but never saw the repair option. Instead, it just completely reinstalled Vista, so I lost all my settings. I have backups of all my documents etc., but I was hoping to avoid reinstalling dozens of programs and customizations.

One of the later posts notes that since I had an OEM version my borrowed installation disk wouldn't work, but I didn't read through the 50 or posts that would have told me this. I wish it were posted on the original instructions. From what I read here and elsewhere, it should have just repaired my corrupted files. It did save old programs and settings in the "Windows.old" folder, but this doesn't do me much good since they're not paired with dlls in the Windows directory, etc. And I completely lost any settings in my user profile.

Does a guy have to go through this every time he has some corrupt Vista files?

Oh well, I now have a clean install, which some are recommending anyway.

My Computer

Hello Druekberg,

Sorry to hear about what happened. It does mention OEM in the NOTE box at the top of the tutorial though. ;)

When you have corrupt Vista files, then sometimes running a sfc /scannow command or doing a system restore may also help.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
When you find you can't do a repair install... what should you have thought of?

Hi, there are some ways to mitigate the situation we OEM users seem to have been placed in by a certain - er- kind organisation - (know whom I mean, nudge, wink..?)
- i.e. no repair install/ in place upgrade on OEM of the same OS version
besides general backup of personal folders/files.

1. Disk imaging: Maintain (and keep an older copy too) of your Windows/installed programs partitions.
- allows you to revert to something that (mostly?? ) worked. Then rebuild from there.
There are some good free options for that.
2. Keep user data off your windows/programs partitions, so it's not lost in a reinstall or image restoration.
- can be restored from a current back up, but - er- how current would your back-up be if your PC became unbootable? Sure, you could use another PC to rescue data from your disk... not ideal...
- change certain registry paths/settings so user data is on another partition (e.g. favourites, mail messages, My Documents - if you must use that for personal data- and other 'special' folders like that...)
3. A great solution for installed programs is to use a 3rd party program that backs up your installed programs, so they can be easily automatically reinstalled on (an identical disk structure) on another PC or your reinstalled Windows. There are several around that claim to do this, I've found one that seems to work well.
4. Use one of the various driver update programs around to back up your installed drivers.
Very helpful especially where you might have tricky situations with legacy (old) hardware on, say, Vista.

As ever, it's often a case of learning the hard way.. and prepare for the worst.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon X2
    Memory
    3Gb
    Hard Drives
    500Gb 7200RPM
    Other Info
    Laptop HPG60
In reply to Brink, you say that there's a note in the original instructions that could have warned me about this. But all the note says is:

• A OEM (retail version) Vista installation DVD that you buy at a store and does not come with the computer are usually the same as a regular retail (full or upgrade) Vista installation DVD, but have a OEM license (product key number) instead of a retail license (product key number).
  • If you have a OEM Recovery Vista installation DVD that came preinstalled with your OEM brand computer instead, then it will most likely only be a clone of the hard drive with Vista allowing you to only do a clean install with it instead. These OEM computers often have a Recovery D:\ partition that does the same thing as the OEM Recovery Vista installation DVD.

Anyway, today the situation is worse. I found I can't use my product key number to validate the new version. It won't accept the string "OEM" in the key. So I have to go back and do a restore from the HP restore routine. I should have just done this to begin with.

These notes try to clarify the differing industry uses of the term OEM, but don't really warn me that I CANNOT use an OEM Retail version of Vista to repair an OEM preinstalled version. All they do is describe the difference between the two uses of the OEM term, and also warn that the OEM Recovery disk is only a clone of the presintalled system, not an actual installation disk, which I knew.

If you could make it clearer that the Retail Version CANNOT be used to repair a PREINSTALLED version that would help others like me.

As for repairing my corrupt files, I've been fighting with this issue for months. I've tried sfc /scannow a few times, but it tells me there is an undetermined problem. I finally figured out how to open the UBS.LOG file (you can't just open it in Notepad, you have to open Notepad as an Admin and THEN open the UBS.LOG file).

Anyway, I spotted an error it didn't as I read the UBS.LOG file, which was a misspelled entry in an MS update file, but I have no idea how to correct the spelling so the update will install or just go away instead of failing my system.

As for system recovery, oh Lord, tried that dozens of times. Of course, the support at HP is little help; they know less than I do, which is not all that much, but the difference is they don't admit it.

As for dal987's comments, they are somewhat helpful, but so cagey as to not actually be truly helpful. As it happens, I do have my documents etc. on a separate partition of the C drive, so they were not lost. And, of course, I also have those backed up on an external drive, so that's all good. (Not sure at this point if a full system restore will wipe out my partitioned drive or not.)

What I'm crying about is the hours it will take me to reinstall and customize all of my programs. For the benefit of others, if dal987 could throw out the actual NAME of a program that does a backup of program and dll info, that could save some other poor soul a lot of time. (Just to give me a starting point next time around.) Thanks.

But we probably all agree that it's almost criminal that MS or HP etc. don't make it easier to repair a corrupted system. HP saves a little money by buying bulk licenses of the OS so they can preinstall it on a box they sell in the store (Does it pass that savings on to me? I kind of doubt it). Why don't they offer to rent or sell a repair disk or an upgrade or fulll retail disk for a small fee, such as the difference between what the OS costs retail and what it cost for the bulk license? I did beg them to loan me an installation disk so I could repair this thing. No help.

So in the future, I will be very reticent to buy a preinstalled OS from any of the big manufacturers. I will buy a naked box from a local PC builder and buy the OS separately so I don't have this problem again. My previous computer was a Dell laptop and I had to run the disk recovery twice. That was a pain I didn't want to have to go through again, but here I am, worse than ever.

Or maybe I will just get a Mac. It's more expensive, but my time is worth something too.

Anyway, Brink, thanks for the tutorial, I wish it had worked. Now it's on to the last resort....a full system restore. Wish me luck.

When you find you can't do a repair install... what should you have thought of?

Hi, there are some ways to mitigate the situation we OEM users seem to have been placed in by a certain - er- kind organisation - (know whom I mean, nudge, wink..?)
- i.e. no repair install/ in place upgrade on OEM of the same OS version
besides general backup of personal folders/files.

1. Disk imaging: Maintain (and keep an older copy too) of your Windows/installed programs partitions.
- allows you to revert to something that (mostly?? ) worked. Then rebuild from there.
There are some good free options for that.
2. Keep user data off your windows/programs partitions, so it's not lost in a reinstall or image restoration.
- can be restored from a current back up, but - er- how current would your back-up be if your PC became unbootable? Sure, you could use another PC to rescue data from your disk... not ideal...
- change certain registry paths/settings so user data is on another partition (e.g. favourites, mail messages, My Documents - if you must use that for personal data- and other 'special' folders like that...)
3. A great solution for installed programs is to use a 3rd party program that backs up your installed programs, so they can be easily automatically reinstalled on (an identical disk structure) on another PC or your reinstalled Windows. There are several around that claim to do this, I've found one that seems to work well.
4. Use one of the various driver update programs around to back up your installed drivers.
Very helpful especially where you might have tricky situations with legacy (old) hardware on, say, Vista.

As ever, it's often a case of learning the hard way.. and prepare for the worst.

My Computer

Druekberg,

I hope the clean install goes smoothly and doesn't take to long for you. :(

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Hi druekberg, Yes, I feel the same as you. Let down by MS over the lack of repair install (in-place upgrade) for OEM Vista.

Briefly:

Laplink PCMover
Move Me (Spearit)
SoftRescue Pro (Anovasoft)

amongst others claim to package and transfer installed programs from 1 PC to another. (Commercial).
Of these the last is least known, but is the one I use and proved the most promising for me after trying several.

A google search e.g.
"transfer installed programs to new pc" => much discussion.

I fear this is veering a little off topic.. but may assist someone.

There are many readily available and widely known solutions for imaging and driver management, many free (e.g. free versions and special offers from Paragon). I wasn't setting out to write a tutorial as I feel this is not the place and has been done elsewhere.

I've seen so many people lose data because they weren't prepared.. hadn't thought about it.. had thought their PC was immortal.. or not know of the various recovery options including others above and beyond.. and even MS support may quickly turn to reinstallation.

Disk imaging alone may well be of limited help for installed programs if your PC dies, whereas if you have many installed programs, a backup with one of those programs may help prepare for the (infrequent) worst, which I've experienced a couple of times with laptops now.

Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon X2
    Memory
    3Gb
    Hard Drives
    500Gb 7200RPM
    Other Info
    Laptop HPG60
Hi, my friend has a laptop with home premium, not sure whehter its sp1 or 2 or either service packs. Recently she has not been able to boot into the OS. I have the retail version of vista ultimate, can I do system repair using this CD, and if that fails, can I do an install that will not delete the files already on the machine?

My Computer

Hello Hassanm, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Sorry, but a repair install must be done from within the started Vista. It cannot be done at boot or in Safe Mode.

Since your friend has a laptop, it most likely will have a OEM Vista that came preinstalled. If so, then you will not be able to install Vista with your retail Vista installation DVD on her laptop since her product key would not work with it.

You can use your retail Vista installation DVD on her laptop to do a system restore at boot using a restore point dated before she had this problem to hopefully fix it.

If not, then she should have a factory restore option available from either a recovery partition or DVD, but she would need to consult her manual for exact details on that. Some of these will give an option to backup the files in the current installation before installing the new one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Hi,

Thanks for the info, I read that you can install without using a key, and then activate it after its installed. Is that true?

It's silly that microsoft didn't allow for reinstallation from boot dvds. It leaves no hope of recovery for people that can't boot into the OS

My Computer

No, you can't use a OEM product key to activate a retail Windows 7 installation., or the other way around. :(

For OEM Vista copies, you would have to use the factory recovery/restore option instead. Most brands factory recovery have an option to backup.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
upgrade install is greyed out I wanted to repair my registry to repair the system restore that keeps deleting all restore points.
Some registry keys are missing as well ex.wait to kill timeout.
Do I have to reinstall again. Only did it about 2 weeks ago.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
Hello Roger,

What type of Vista do you have, and how are you trying to install it? :)

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Hi, my friend doesn't have a recovery CD for their laptop. It's a Belinea o.book 3.1. Some European make. Manufacturers should really give recovery cds with their laptops so people that do not know how important they are would not need to create one (a lot of people often ignore this option).

Would any OEM windows vista home premium work (or anytime upgrade cd)? Say I had to do a clean install, seeing as that is the only option microsoft gave if we cannot boot into window, would the product key on the bottom of the laptop work?

I have the required drivers already, which I downloaded from the manufacturers website.

My Computer

Hassanm,

Sorry, but not unless your purchased a OEM or retail copy of Vista and installed and activated it with the product key number that came with it. :(

You could try contacting the manufacturer for a copy of the Vista recovery disc for the Belinea o.book 3.1, but it would probably be just as much or cheaper to just purchase a new copy.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Hi Shawn, having now done an in-place repair of Vista SP2, I wanted to pass on three things I have discovered.

1. Changing %Program Files% from C:\Program Files =>
Upgrade install is greyed out and you receive 'Your Windows configuration cannot be upgraded'. I have confirmed this from experience (below).
(%Program Files% is the default install path for programs).

This begs the question.. what other default path changes might inhibit in-place repair? What if you change the desktop, start menu, My documents/Videos/Music folder locations to a separate partition to secure them from reformatting and reinstalling Windows, say?

2. Hotfixes on the installed Windows later than the service pack on the DVD are irrelevant, contrary to statements on a number of forums. (At least in my experience).

3. A 4th tier MS support professional has confirmed in-place upgrade repair is NOT documented by MS. :mad:

So.. if you're interested- here's my experience of %Program Files% and in-place upgrade..
Why change %Program Files%?
A number of tweak tools support such a change. I chose to do that for defrag, backup, control the size of my Vista partition etc etc.

Here's what happened:
I had reinstalled Vista, changed %Program Files% to D:\, and used Laplink PCmover to 'reinstall' all my applications. 95% or more worked fine- even the program keys had mostly been moved. So what was the problem?

Before using Laplink PCMover, SFC /Scannow had worked. Afterwards, it utterly failed- 'too many files to recover.. run SFC /Scannow again'. :confused: Hmm. This was my 3rd attempt and I'd done everything I could to ONLY move applications.

(And I was doing all this 'cos I hadn't been able to run in-place repair on my old build).

So.. let's try an in-place upgrade. No- greyed out.
I changed %Program Files% back to C:\Program Files from D:\

=> Upgrade install was now available. ;)

(And my installed Vista had been updated with hotfixes, proving what some say about needing a DVD with the same service pack to also have at least all updates applied to the Windows being updated wrong).

I did the upgrade install, and SFC /Scannow then worked.

But what had happened to my Start Menu? Ah.. all the now invalid shortcuts had been removed. (Those pointing to D:\....). So I changed back %Proagram Files% to D:\, copied back the shortcuts from the disk containing my old Windows build, so these were consistent, and all was well.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon X2
    Memory
    3Gb
    Hard Drives
    500Gb 7200RPM
    Other Info
    Laptop HPG60
Hello Dal,

Thank you for posting back with your results. I have added a warning at the top of the tutorial in case someone else changed their default Program Files folder location and the shortcuts.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Hi,

I am happy I found your great site because I have problems with Vista 32bits:

It freezes about 5-15 minutes after Start depending on what I do.
It freezes also if I do nothing!
It freezes immediatly if after a normal start I try to access the results of the
eventwriter (eventvwr)
It freezes on a safe mode boot start after loading the CRCcheck driver!
After a normal start CHKDSK is sometimes running automatically, and it says that it has repared 3-4 files.

I have made a check of the memory with the microsoft memory diagnostic tool: all is ok!
I have made a check of my hard-disk also with the micrsoft tool: all is ok
I have run Hijackthis for the Registry: all seems ok also here

I am thinking now of using this Vista repair possibility. What do you think?

In the header it is said that some drivers may have to be reinstalled afterwards, what does that mean? Does one have to save them before or what?

Thanks in advance.
Regards

Guy

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Medion P7300 D
    CPU
    Core 2 Quad E8200
    Motherboard
    MSI Intel-P35
    Memory
    4 GByte RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Geforce-9600GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ACER LCD
    Hard Drives
    Western-Digita
Hello Guy, and welcome to Vista Forums.

If you have a retail copy of Vista and are able to start Vista to run the repair install in Vista, then it may be a viable option for you. Yes, you should have the latest versions of your device drivers (ex: sound card/chip, graphics card, motherboard chipset, etc.....) downloaded and saved somewhere to install if needed after the repair install.

If you are not able to start Vista long enough to run a repair install, then you might post your crash issue in the Crashes and Debugging forum area to see if you may be able to avoid doing a clean reinstall of Vista.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Hello Guy, and welcome to Vista Forums.

If you have a retail copy of Vista and are able to start Vista to run the repair install in Vista, then it may be a viable option for you. Yes, you should have the latest versions of your device drivers (ex: sound card/chip, graphics card, motherboard chipset, etc.....) downloaded and saved somewhere to install if needed after the repair install.

If you are not able to start Vista long enough to run a repair install, then you might post your crash issue in the Crashes and Debugging forum area to see if you may be able to avoid doing a clean reinstall of Vista.

Thanks for the very quick answer!
Where are those drivers to save? In the Windows/System32/Drivers folder ?

If I understand you well ,as my Vista runs only for maximum 15 minutes before freezing, it will not be possible to do a repair install?
So I better go to the oyher forum?

Guy

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Medion P7300 D
    CPU
    Core 2 Quad E8200
    Motherboard
    MSI Intel-P35
    Memory
    4 GByte RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Geforce-9600GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ACER LCD
    Hard Drives
    Western-Digita
If it's freezing that bad, then yeah I would try the other forum location here first to see if we may be able to solve the crashing issue.

You would usually be able to download device drivers for your 32-bit Vista at each device manufacturer's website in it's support/download area.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,