Repair Install For Vista

How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista

information   Information
This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs. You will be performing a Upgrade Install from within your currently running Vista.

You will have to use the exact same Vista installation media type that you currently have installed.

Note   Note

• You will not be able to do a upgrade install in Safe Mode.
  • You must have Retail Full or Upgrade Vista installation DVD to do this. Some people have had problems with a Full version letting them do a upgrade install though.
  • A OEM (retail version) Vista installation DVD that you buy at a store and does not come with the computer are usually the same as a regular retail (full or upgrade) Vista installation DVD, but have a OEM license (product key number) instead of a retail license (product key number).
  • If you have a OEM Recovery Vista installation DVD that came preinstalled with your OEM brand computer instead, then it will most likely only be a clone of the hard drive with Vista allowing you to only do a clean install with it instead. These OEM computers often have a Recovery D:\ partition that does the same thing as the OEM Recovery Vista installation DVD.
  • If you have a Anytime Upgrade Vista installation DVD, then you will not be able to do this.
  • The Vista installation DVD that you use to do the repair (upgrade) install must be the same or newer version of Vista with the Windows Updates and SP level than what you currently have installed. If the DVD is a older version, then you cannot do a repair (upgrade) install with it.
  • IF YOU HAVE THE VISTA SP1 INSTALLED:
    • This will not work if you have SP1 installed unless your Vista installation DVD includes the SP1, or you create a Vista SP1 slipstream installation DVD (See below). When the SP1 is installed, it will give Vista a newer version number than what is on the original Vista installation DVD.
    • You can only do a Upgrade install if the currently installed Vista is the same or older version than what is on the Vista installation DVD.
    • To create a Vista SP1 slipstream installation DVD to use to do a Repair (upgrade) install, see: How to Create a Vista SP1 Slipstream Installation DVD. Note that this does not always work to use for a Repair install.
    • Another option is to uninstall the Vista SP1, then run the Repair install and install the SP1 again afterwards. To uninstall the SP1, see: Microsoft Help and Support: How to uninstall Windows Vista SP1 as a troubleshooting step
  • IF YOU HAVE THE VISTA SP2 INSTALLED:
    • This will not work if you have SP1 and SP2 installed unless your Vista installation DVD includes SP2.
    • To create a Vista SP2 slipstream installation DVD to use to do a Repair (upgrade) install, see: How to Slipstream Vista SP2. Note that this does not always work to use for a Repair install.
  • Be sure to backup any important data you have, just in case something goes wrong during installation. You may need to reinstall some of your drivers. You do not want to do this if you are dual booting with XP and Vista was not installed as the primary boot drive. It can cause XP to not startup anymore.
Tip   Tip
If you are have installation error problems, then see:
warning   Warning
If you changed the default location of the Program Files or Programs Files (x86) folder, then you will need to change it back to the C: drive, and change any shortcuts that pointed to the other location to also point to the C: drive before doing a repair install.

ITEMS THAT WILL BE RESET TO DEFAULT:

Here's How:

Note   Note

• If Vista is still not working properly afterwards, then a Clean Install would be recommended.
  • You may need to reinstall some of your drivers after the Repair (upgrade) install.
  • You will not be able to do a upgrade install in Safe Mode.

1. While logged in Vista as an administrator, insert the Vista installation DVD into the DVD drive, or connect a Vista installation USB thumb/key drive.

WARNING: Do not boot the computer and run the Vista installation DVD from boot. A upgrade install will not work this way.

Note   Note
If you do not have a Vista with SP1 installation DVD/USB, then you can download an official Vista with SP1 ISO file here: Microsoft: Vista Direct Download Links, and use Windows 7 USB-DVD Download Tool to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive with the ISO to do the repair install.

2. Click on Install Now to start the upgrade. (See screenshot below)

NOTE: If AutoPlay does not load the Vista setup screen, then open your DVD drive in Computer and click on the Setup file.
Install_now.jpg
3. If you want Vista to check for updates during the installation, then click on that to select it. (See screenshot below)

NOTE: It will install faster if you select Do not get the latest updates for installation. You can install them later through Windows Update.
Updates.jpg
4. Do not type in a product key. (See screenshot below)

WARNING: If you do type in the same activated product key that you already have installed, then you can end up in Reduced Functionality Mode.

5. Leave the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box unchecked.

6. Click on Next.
Product_Key.jpg
7. Click on the No button for the Do you want to enter your product key now? prompt. (See screenshot below)
Product_Key_Confirmation.jpg
8. Select which edition of Vista you have. (See screenshot below)

9. Check the I have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased box and click on Next. (See screenshot below)
Windows_Version.jpg
10. Click on the Upgrade option. (See screenshot below)
Upgrade.jpg
11. Follow any instructions left until Vista is through installing and has rebooted to the final welcome screen on the Vista desktop.

12. Remove the Vista installation DVD.

13. Check to see if any files are missing. If so look in the bolded files shown in step 14 below to see if they are in there. You can then just copy them back.

14. Run Disk Cleanup.
A) If listed, check Files discarded by Windows upgrade. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: These will be the leftover upgrade files, C:\Windows.old, C:\$INPLACE.~TR and C:\$WINDOWS.~Q, that did not get copied over. If any personal username files are missing, it would be in these folders.​
B) Click on OK to delete it.​
Disk_Cleanup.jpg

15. Now all you need to do is to activate Vista.
A) Right click on Computer (Start Menu) and click on Properties, or open the Control Panel (Classic View) and click on the System icon.​
B) Scroll down a bit and click on: Activate Windows Now. (See screenshot below)​
Activate.jpg

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• thumb_vista_install_logo.jpg
    thumb_vista_install_logo.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 469
Hello Tresean,

It's basically anything that is not stored in a C:\Users\(user-name) folder has a good chance of being reset to default.

You can see how to create a REG file in the TIP box at the Services link for them.

Drivers will just have to be reinstalled if any of them get reset.

You could export the Schemes key in METHOD TWO at the Computer Sound Event Schemelink to save them to a REG file.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Ok, thanks---looks like I have a lot of work in front of me :(
Is there a way to export the Visual Effects Options also?

Other than the 3 tasks above, is there anything else I need to prepare/backup/copy before I do this Repair Install option?

Also, a friend gave me his Vista Ultimate disc to use for this procedure but I have Home Premium----will that still work as long as the disc senses that I have Home Premium?

My Computer

Well, you should always backup anything that you do not want to lose just to be safe. A power outage in the middle of a repair install could just ruin your day. Visual Effects will have to be manually set again afterwards.

If it's a "retail" Vista Ultimate disc, then you should be able to use it on a Vista Home Premium installation to do a repair install with. Just be sure that you select your edition during the installation process or it will not work.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
If it's a "retail" Vista Ultimate disc, then you should be able to use it on a Vista Home Premium installation to do a repair install with. Just be sure that you select your edition during the installation process or it will not work.

Hello Brink,

I just want to be sure I am understanding correctly: at first you said I couldn't use the Ultimate disc to do a Home Premium repair, but it seems like you edited your response and said I in fact could use that disc. When you say "retail" version, what exactly do you mean, does that also include the upgrade disc? The disc he gave me reads "Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate For Upgrade Use Only"----is that what you meant by "retail" version, as long as it doesn't say "OEM" anywhere or have OEM in the product key?

My Computer

Tresean,

By "retail", I mean a full or OEM copy of Window Vista that was purchased from a retail store, and did not come with the computer.

A "retail" copy of a Vista installation disc contains all editions of Vista on it. You just have to select the same edition that you have installed, or enter the product key number of the one you have for it to be selected automatically.

Now a OEM factory recovery/restore type installation disc will not work for this. It's not a retail disk. It either comes with a purchased computer, or created from the purchased computer. It can only be used to do a clean install.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
^Hi Brink,

Thanks for all the help up to this point, my "Repair" is now up to the point where it says "Please wait while Vista prepares to start for th first time"....it is doing some type of countdown/loadup sequence where the dots go from left to right.

It appears that the resolution/video driver has been thrown off. My question now is: should I update my drivers first, or should I go to Windows Update and gt up to SP2 first before I manually install/update all pertinent drivers?

My Computer

After the install is finished, I normally install any needed drivers first, then do the Windows Updates.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Update: I got the message saying "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and restart the installation". Is this usual/common? Do you know what could be causing this? Will a restart fix this?

My Computer

It means that you may not be able to do a repair install.

Restart the computer and try the installation again as the message stated to see if it will allow you to afterwards.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
OK so I went out on a limb and tried one more thing before retrying the Repair. I tried doing a system restore to a point before updating a hotfix and using the MS Udate Readiness Tool. And so far it has been "initializing" system restore for an hour now.....is that normal to take that long? At the most, I thought system restore would take about 15 minutes....its just stuck on the teal blue screen of "Please wait, System Restore is initializing"

My Computer

I'd give it about another hour to see if may show any activity or continue by then. If it's not doing anything by then, then restart the computer.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
OK, so that didn't work. So I tried the Repair Install twice with the regular Vista DVD. I then created the slipstream with SP1 and I am trying that now. On all three attempts, I got a message saying "Potential issues were detected with installed applications. These isues do not prevent your upgrade, but some applications/devices migt not work". It then gives a list of 5 programs: Audible Manage, MSN Explorer, Windows Messeneger 5.1, MusicMatch Jukebox, Microsoft Powertoys for XP. Do you think these are the culprit of why the first two installations didn't succeed, or do they look harmless? Should I uninstall them first?

Thanks so much for your patience.

My Computer

Did you originally upgrade to Vista from XP? At least 4 or those are not compatible with Vista in any case. MSN Explorer is archaic as is Microsoft Powertoys for XP. Windows Messenger 5.1 should be disabled anyway as it isn't compatible with Vista and the other things I don't know anything about.

Are you sure it's Vista you are repairing or is it XP?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme O/C to 4.02 GHz, 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    Asus® P6T Deluxe V2 X58 LGA1366
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 Dual Core
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 HD LED backlit 23" W/S 2ms response time
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    1 external eSATA LaCie 3TB
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    4 case fans @ CPU water cooling.
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
Hi Peter,

LOL---yes I am sure it's Vista.....while I am not a computer guru, I am still at the least aware of what operating system I am using. What happened was: my old computer had Vista on it, and I migrated everything to this new computer (which had Vista on it) using Laplink PC Mover...so that could explain the old/non-compatible programs on my machine.

So should I delete them completely, or just let this installation run and see what happens at the end, since this one now contains SP1 (which, by the way, my compter doesn't currently have installed).

My Computer

Well uninstall what you can but I suspect that MSN Explorer and Windows Messenger 5.1 are already disabled due to incompatibility. That Powertoys for XP is as it is described, for XP only so has to go too.

The others I doubt you need even if they are compatible, which I doubt without major research.

Your goal should now be to install SP2 eventually as your machine is out of support currently.

There have been dozens of updates since then too.

By the way, the biggest problem I have found when installing service packs is the antivirus - always disable it until finished.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
Your goal should now be to install SP2 eventually as your machine is out of support currently.

There have been dozens of updates since then too.

Yes, that is my goal...if I can just at least get to SP1, which has been my problem---my computer won't let me install it, which is part of the reason I think I need to do this Repair Install.

By the way, the biggest problem I have found when installing service packs is the antivirus - always disable it until finished.

OK, I enabled UAC...but I don't have any antivirus---all I have is Security Essentials/MS Firewall/Defender by MS. Can they be disabled?

My Computer

After the install is finished, I normally install any needed drivers first, then do the Windows Updates.

OK Brink...I am lucky/happy to finally report that, 48 hours later and many headaches and re-do's, I have finally been able to do the Repair Install. I dont know what did the trick: slipstreaming SP1 into the installion or turning on UAC.

I ran Windows Update and it says I need 125 updates (sheesh!!!), so I will install them eventually/later. But I want to take first things first. Everything seems to be working fairly decently, except for two or three major issues I have noticed so far:
-my computer doesn't seem quite as responsive as it once was (could be my imagination sense I have been stressed these ast few days)
-my Windows Experience score went from 5.0 down to 3.7. This is very wierd and perplexing. None of my hardware changed at all. My video card (nVidia GeForce 210) had the lowest rating of 5.0----now it rates it at a 3.7.
-EDIT: I have no sound at all from Media Player (could be from other apps as well, but that's all I tested so far). I turned volume all the way up and un-muted everything---but no sound. I have the default Windows sounds (beeps, clicks, etc), but no multimedia sound. What on earth happened?

I had to re-install the nVidia drivers, and it installed a newer version than what I had and it also included HD audio drivers too. I don't think this could be the cause of the lower WE score and no sound, but it very well might be. Do you (or anyone else) have any advice or tips on why those three things happened, and how to restore them?

Once again thanks :-)

Last edited:

My Computer

Good luck with SP2. Windows will eventually no doubt install the right drivers for whatever you need.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
Thank you guys very much....I am up to SP1, but Windows Update doesn't give me the option to install SP2, although I have installed all updates up to and after SP1.

Also, in the bottom of the System window (where it gives Windows version/Windows Experience/etc), Windows is saying I need to activate Windows in 30 days....I thought my Windows was already activated and all I did was repair it. What do I do?

My Computer

Activate it as normal. No harm in doing it again.

You would apply SP2 in the same way as you did SP1.

Check method 3 here for the standalone download: How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

Information about Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista Information about Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista and for Windows Server 2008

Error message when you try to install Windows Vista Service Pack 2: "One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing" Error message when you try to install Windows Vista Service Pack 2: "One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing"

How to obtain (Free) Windows Vista service pack support Support for Windows Vista technical problems and troubleshooting

How to Slipstream Vista SP2 to Create A New Installation DVD http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/230249-sliptream-vista-sp2.html

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,