windows update just seems to hang while checking.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I will just make a note to visit here next month when the automatic updates stall again. I saved your instructions to use in the future as well. I sure wish Microsoft would repair whatever this glitch is that is effecting our updates.

My Computer

My results for August updates:
First I tried the idea of switching the default browser to be IE before checking for updates.
Result...after 11 hours, still searching, nothing returned.
So scrap that idea.
Next I installed KB3177725, then check for updates.
Result...after about 1.5 hours, results were returned. Certainly not as good as last month. Downloads were fast, about 5 minutes...installation for me was about 25 minutes including the scan and several Office updates. So yet another month of updates grudgingly provided by MS.

My Computer

An interesting question is, What will happen if there is no Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers one of these months? I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Wow! Windows update is going to get real interesting in October. Microsoft is issuing roll up patches for 7 & 8.1 only. No more individual patches...at least that's what I'm reading here:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ervicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

Wonder how this will affect Vista updates? Faster speeds, slower, etc.

My Computer

It looks like the rollups are simply a way to bypass the traditional methods of updating for new builds. That way all you have to do is download the rollup. They will probably still release patches through windows update.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
It looks like the rollups are simply a way to bypass the traditional methods of updating for new builds. That way all you have to do is download the rollup. They will probably still release patches through windows update.

Hi townsbg:

You might be confusing the new Convenience Rollup for Windows 7 SP1 (which is similar to a full service pack) with the monthly rollups delivered via Windows Update - see the original Microsoft TechNet announcement Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 from May 2016. Windows Update already started delivering a monthly (optional) rollup for Win 7 in a single update in June 2016, but only for non-security issues. According to the new Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 referenced by Vista1972, Windows Update will deliver a single monthly rollup for Win 7 that includes both security issues and reliability issues in a single update starting October 2016, and delivery of individual patches for both non-security and security issues via Windows Update will be discontinued for Win 7 (and Win 8.1).

The move to monthly rollups for non-security issues in June 2016 actually created major problems for Win 7 users affected by slow Windows Updates. The Win 7 June 2016 monthly rollup of non-security updates KB3161608 bundled six separate hotfixes, including KB3161647 (Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: June 2016) that updated the Win 7 Windows Update Agent (WUA) and added "An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates". Unfortunately, other hotfixes bundled in June's KB3161608 monthly rollup (and its July 2016 replacement KB3172605) introduced multiple bugs related to memory leaks, bad TLS connections, Bluetooth driver conflicts, etc. From Woody Leonhard's 22-Jul-2016 Woody on Windows InfoWorld blog entry Microsoft yanks buggy speed-up patch KB 3161608, replaces it with KB 3172605 and 3172614:

"I don't know about you, but I'm getting very sick of Microsoft's repeated bungling in this Windows 7 Update debacle. If the company put one-thousandth the effort into fixing Win7 Update as it has into enticing users to install Windows 10, the problem would've been fixed months ago. One billion machines running two or four or six hours a month, doing nothing. At this point, I suggest you just ignore Microsoft and use the method described by an astute German blogger named Dalai. He has a description of the July fix to the Windows Update woes for Windows 7 and Vista."
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.1 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
The dipsticks!
Why can't Microsoft just code something properly? They fix one thing and then there's more bugs!

Me, I'm actually running on a stock installation of SP2 because I couldn't get updates to work...
I haven't read all the updates but read the last post (how do I get threaded view on this forum?)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Packard Bell imedia s3210
    CPU
    AMD Athlon(tm) 7450 Dual Core Processor (2.40GHz)
    Memory
    2.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200
Me, I'm actually running on a stock installation of SP2 because I couldn't get updates to work...

Hi Cammygirl192:

If you're new to this thread it's getting a bit difficult to find relevant information, but the workaround that seems to reduce the "Checking for updates..." hangs for most affected Vista SP2 and Win 7 SP1 users is posted on Dalai's webpage at Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution (http://wu.krelay.de/en/). That webpage has a list of Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates that need to be manually pre-installed to speed up Window Update. This is only a temporary solution and users must check Dalai's webpage every Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month) to see if a new Win32K.sys update has been added to Dalai's list and must be pre-installed before running Windows Update to install your remaining Patch Tuesday updates.

As of today (22-Aug-2016) the current list of Win32K.sys updates on Dalai's webpage is: KB3078601 (rel. 18-Aug-2015); KB3109094 (rel. 07-Dec-2015); KB3145739 (rel. 12-Apr-2016); KB3164033 (rel. 14-Jun-2016); KB3168965 (rel. 12-Jul-2016); KB3177725 (rel. 09-Aug-2016). You only have to install the updates that are missing from you system, so users who were fully patched as of the end of July 2016 should only have to manually install the latest KB3177725 (MS16-098: Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers: August 9, 2016) that was added for the August 2016 Patch Tuesday updates.

Step-by-step instructions for installing any missing Win32K.sys updates were posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum for non-technical users who are not familiar with the process of installing standalone update packages (.msu files) or have difficulties following Dalai's instructions.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.1 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Welcome to Vista Forums JudyJetson! Assuming that security updates for July and earlier were successfully installed, I suspect that Windows Update was running in the background when you tried to install KB3177725. Keep that standalone installer on hand and try this:

(1) Change Windows Update setting to "Never check for updates" and click "OK."
(2) Restart the PC.
(3) Disconnect the PC from the internet. (This wasn't necessary in my case, but some have reported that it is.)
(4) Run KB3177725 again and restart the PC when requested.
(5) Reconnect the PC to the internet.
(6) Change Windows Update to your preferred setting and it will check for other August security updates.

I think this will work, but post again if it doesn't.

Thank you Vistaar! This worked for me. I've been trying to update my system since 6/10/16 with no luck until I came across this forum last night.

What worked for me was -
1. Download KB3177725
2. Reboot, remove from internet.
3. Install KB3177725, reboot when asked.
4. Connect to internet, run Windows update.

Within 10 minutes I had 15 updates ready to install. I'm not sure if removing the internet has to do with it being a laptop or not but it worked. Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• Memory
    2GB
I've been trying to update my system since 6/10/16 with no luck until I came across this forum last night.
Welcome to Vista Forums TylrVista. Your result sounds good, however I'm concerned because the post you quoted was written specifically for JudyJetson, "assuming that security updates for July and earlier were successfully installed." If I had known that you had not been able to install updates for two months, I would've suggested manually installing two other updates before KB3177725. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, please view your update history and let us know if the following updates have been installed: KB3164033 (published June 13) and KB3168965 (published July 12). Thank you!

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
...I'm not sure if removing the internet has to do with it being a laptop or not but it worked. Thanks!

Either disconnecting from the internet or disabling WU is the key when installing these updates manually because the installer runs WU to try and check for updates before installing. If you are already running into slowness checking for updates then you are not better off if you don't disable either the internet or WU. I believe that this has been pointed out a few times in this thread however it has gotten so long over the last year or so that you might have overlooked that. Unfortunately installing this update didn't help me out last round however now I think that something was wrong with WU on my virtual machine.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Welcome to Vista Forums TylrVista. Your result sounds good, however I'm concerned because the post you quoted was written specifically for JudyJetson, "assuming that security updates for July and earlier were successfully installed." If I had known that you had not been able to install updates for two months, I would've suggested manually installing two other updates before KB3177725. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, please view your update history and let us know if the following updates have been installed: KB3164033 (published June 13) and KB3168965 (published July 12). Thank you!

Vistaar, I attached my update history in a .JPG I hope this helps.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Vista_Windows_Update_Log.JPG
    Vista_Windows_Update_Log.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 12

My Computer

System One

• Memory
    2GB
The June and August kernel-mode driver updates were both installed twice, but I don't see the July update (KB3168965). For now, please click "Check for updates" and see if Windows Update offers you anything else. I would be interested in hearing Imacri's opinion before suggesting any further action.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I've installed the 7.6 Update Agent already, what should I do next?

It's taking a long time, then again, I've only had it open about half an hour and my SP2 is pretty much clean from installation except me running MBAM and SeaMonkey on it.

Also, can we celebrate that this is the top thread here despite it being over a year old? I think it should be stuck by an admin.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    2.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200
what should I do next?...my SP2 is pretty much clean from installation
Well you should set Windows Update to "never check for updates," then restart the PC to completely stop Windows Update, then manually download and install the six updates mentioned by Imacri in his reply to you (post #307 on the previous page). It might be important to install them in the correct order (oldest to newest), and each one will require a restart. After that, set Windows Update to your preferred setting and let it check for other updates. It should be able to find a large number of updates in a reasonable time - but it will still be slower than the good old days when Microsoft still loved us.:(

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Whoops, I forgot I replied here so I didn't see the reply before.
I've downloaded everything already and am about to install them, in the correct order.

Thanks!
I'm going to share the updates listed in the reply in a single ZIP for anyone who needs them - https://a.desu.sh/xzmlss.zip

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    2.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200
It worked. Thanks a bunch!
Can I make an article with credit to Vistaar and Imacri on a computer blog I'm going to write detailing how to fix the issue? :P

Also, will Windows Defender definitions also start working again?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    2.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200
Thanks for the attachment, should be useful to others.:D

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
It worked. Thanks a bunch!
Can I make an article with credit to Vistaar and Imacri on a computer blog I'm going to write detailing how to fix the issue? :P

Hi Cammygirl192:

I would prefer if you didn't credit me in your blog. The original workaround was posted months ago on Dalai's webpage at Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution (http://wu.krelay.de/en/) and I believe Dalai deserves all the credit. MS MVP Woody Leonhard has been blogging about Dalai's workaround for a few months now in his Woody on Windows blog on the InfoWorld site and recently posted detailed instructions for Win 7 users in his blog entry 2 easy steps to speed up Windows 7 Update scans. Woody Leonhard's blog is followed by many users in the Windows community and he contacted Dalai directly and asked his permission before reprinting his instructions.

Dalai's instructions note that users only need to install the Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates currently listed on his webpage that are missing from their system, and he already maintains links on his webpage to the standalone update packages (.msu files) on the official Microsoft Download Center for both Win 7 SP1 and Vista SP2. Dalai's workaround is only a temporary solution (i.e., the slow Windows Updates will likely return the next Patch Tuesday) and his list of required Win32K.sys updates is revised the second Tuesday of every month to add any new Windows kernel-mode driver updates released by Microsoft and remove any older updates that were replaced (superseded) by newer versions. My step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum were only posted to help Vista users who are not familiar with the process of installing standalone update packages or have difficulties following Dalai's instructions.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
@ Cammygirl192: Looks like your zip file is strictly for x64, perhaps you should edit your post #315 to make that clear. Personally, I would prefer to download any files directly from Microsoft. Like Imacri, I played no part in developing this workaround and seek no credit. Any blog that does not contain a link to Dalai's webpage would not be very scholarly.

@ Imacri: Please take a look at TylrVista's screenshot in post #311 above and see what you recommend. Looks like July's KB3168965 was never installed, but TylrVista did install the June and August kernel-mode driver updates and did get a batch of other updates promptly.:confused:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT