Windows6.0-kb936330-x64.exe crashes mid install (0x8007000D error)

VUser

Hello, new member here. I recently installed Windows Vista Ultimate x64 oem. I mostly use Vista for the Windows Mail application (as I never downloaded the Windows 7 mail application). I would like to install SP1 but get this 0x8007000D error. Windows6.0-kb936330-x64.exe crashes halfway into the install. I had in the past installed this with SP2, but it was long ago. Any ideas as to how to get SP1 installed or is this only possible if it's on the DVD ?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64
I believe you need to burn the .exe to a bootable disc and then run the .iso.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Hi wither 3, so I need to use the .exe to create an .iso image and then set the bios to boot to the dvd and it will perform the update. Thanks I'll try that.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
Hi VUser:

Could you please clarify. Do you mean you've used an Vista installation media that does not include Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 and need to install your missing service packs? If so, standalone .exe installers for Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330, released March 2008) and Service Pack 2 (KB948465, released May 2009) are still available for download from the Microsoft Update Catalog at the following links:

Service Pack 1: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Vista KB936330
Service Pack 2: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Vista KB948465

SP1 is a prerequisite for SP2 and must be installed first if your current Vista OS has no service packs installed. Select the smaller Five Languages installer if your OS is English, French German, Japanese or Spanish (for other languages use the All Languages installer) and be sure to download the 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) .exe installer that matches your current OS. Save the installer to your desktop, close your browser and other open programs, right-click on the .exe file and choose "Run as Administrator" to run the installer.

Microsoft Update Catalog Vista Service Pack 2 KB948465 29 Dec 2020.png

Once you've installed Vista SP1 and SP2 and re-activated your license (see the slui.exe 4 method in Step 2 / Option 2 of How to Activate Vista Normally and by Phone Activation) you will still need to patch your Vista OS to end of extended support (11-Apr-2017). Unfortunately, Microsoft deactivated the Windows Update servers for older operating systems like Win XP and Vista on 03-Aug-2020 (see the Microsoft support article Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices for more information), which means that you will not be able to use Windows Update. However, I believe your can still use the Dism++ utility to apply your missing Vista security updates. If you aren't familiar with Dism++ see SIW2's 02-Dec-2021 instructions in post # 3186 of Vista ISO Download. The GitHub home page for Dism++ is <here>.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
Hi Imacri, yes my installation disc doesn't have any service packs on it. I downloaded SP1 and SP2 but so far have been unable to install SP1. I'll try saving the .exe to the desktop as you suggest (I ran it from a temporary folder as administrator) and see if that makes any difference. Thanks for all the information regarding updates and activation.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
Hi wither 3, so I need to use the .exe to create an .iso image and then set the bios to boot to the dvd and it will perform the update. Thanks I'll try that.
You need to use burning software that will create a bootable disc to burn the .exe to DVD. And yes, the BIOS should be set to a disc as the first boot option.

You can also follow the instructions of Imacri.

Was this OEM version originally installed on the computer your using?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
...I would like to install SP1 but get this 0x8007000D error. Windows6.0-kb936330-x64.exe crashes halfway into the install. I had in the past installed this with SP2, but it was long ago...
Installation media might be corrupt. Run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.
...I mostly use Vista for the Windows Mail application (as I never downloaded the Windows 7 mail application)...
Not a very good reason to use Vista in 2022 (in fact there isn’t any good reason). Windows Mail uses Internet Explorer’s engine. IE only supported Vista up to IE9, which is now 11 years old (and yes it required SP1 and SP2 to be installed). Even IE 11 reached end of life in June 2022.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Was this OEM version originally installed on the computer your using?
Yes
Installation media might be corrupt. Run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.
It seemed to go through the usual phases of the install. I'll try sfc/scannow and see what it says.
Not a very good reason to use Vista in 2022 (in fact there isn’t any good reason). Windows Mail uses Internet Explorer’s engine. IE only supported Vista up to IE9, which is now 11 years old (and yes it required SP1 and SP2 to be installed). Even IE 11 reached end of life in June 2022.
The mail application seems to work well enough.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
.... I had in the past installed this with SP2, but it was long ago .... The mail application seems to work well enough.

Hi VUser:

I purchased a Win 10 laptop in 2019 so I rarely boot up my Vista SP2 laptop these days, but see my 30-Apr-2019 post in AndyTampa's Yahoo Embedded Images Missing/Damaged in Windows Vista Default Mail Client about problems I had viewing images in emails sent by certain senders. Note that I have a "plain vanilla" installation of Vista SP2 and IE9 on that old machine - that is, I have all security updates released as of end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017 plus the 5 emergency out-of-band updates listed in the MS Answers thread More Shadow Brokers Exploits Patched June 2017 for Win XP and Vista. That means the IE9 browser on my Vista SP2 machine only supports the old TLS 1.0 secure connection protocol but does not support newer protocols like TLS 1.2 and 1.3. (Just an aside , but note that I used Firefox ESR v52.9.0 as my default browser on this Vista SP2 computer since it supported TLS 1.2 secure connections by default).

IE9 v9_0_60 TLS 1_0 Highest Protocol 21 Aug 2017.png

As Vistaar noted in post # 17 of AndyTampa's thread, there is a workaround to add TLS 1.2 support to IE9 (see VistaLover's Enabling TLS 1.1/1.2 Support in Vista's Internet Explorer 9 in the MSFN forum), but if you haven't used Windows Mail on Vista SP2 for a few years I suspect you could encounter problems viewing some embedded images and a few other glitches you didn't encounter in previous years with a "plain vanilla" installation of Vista SP2. Email clients are also moving away from Basic Authentication (e.g., away from POP3 for incoming emails accounts with just an email address and password to log into the remote email server - see the 01-Sep-2022 MS support article Microsoft Retires Basic Authentication in Exchange Online), which is another recent change that might limit the functionality of Vista's built-in Windows Mail program.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
...As Vistaar noted in post # 17 of AndyTampa's thread, there is a workaround to add TLS 1.2 support to IE9 (see VistaLover's Enabling TLS 1.1/1.2 Support in Vista's Internet Explorer 9 in the MSFN forum)...
Assuming VUser can solve the problem of getting SP1 installed (followed by SP2 and IE9), then adding support for TLS 1.2 might be somewhat helpful. Since you habitually compose lengthy posts about questions that no one has asked, I must once again point out that VistaLover of MSFN was running Vista x86. The one thing we know about VUser’s installation is that it is x64. Implementing support for TLS 1.2 would therefore require more registry changes than were given in VistaLover’s original instructions. It seems like this was pointed out years later near the end of VistaLover’s thread, but he never edited the original post. It might therefore be better to direct Vista x64 users to IE9: Last Supported Browser for Vista at this forum.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Attached is part of the CBS log generated by the sfc. The whole log is too big to upload. There are errors relating to SQM whatever that is. Sfc reported corrupt files and said it had fixed some but not all.

Attachments

• CBS.txt
    81.1 KB · Views: 10

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
Attached is part of the CBS log generated by the sfc. ...

Hi VUser:

Any entry in the CBS.log file related to a System File Checker scan (sfc /scannow) should be tagged with the label "[SR]". See Brink's tutorial How to Repair and Verify the Integrity of Vista System Files with System File Checker for instructions on how to run System File Checker from an elevated command prompt and then extract the SFC scan log from CBS.log using the command findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt.

Vistaar has jumped into this thread and offered his assistance so I'll leave it to him to guide you through the process of getting your Vista OS up and running correctly.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Thanks Imacri for the earlier info. about Vista's mail application and the tutorial on sfc. I rarely ever attempt to repair things on PC's however. This problem might be due to a faulty optical drive or IDE ribbon cable. I may try a reinstall at some point.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
...Sfc reported corrupt files and said it had fixed some but not all.
It is obviously a bad sign if your OS is corrupt immediately after installation. DVDs don’t last forever, and your OEM disk must be about 15 years old. I would not consider replacing the optical drive. Did sfc fix enough files to enable the SP1 standalone installer to run without error? If not, you could burn a new Vista disk if you can find an ISO. (ISOs were formerly available at this forum, but evidently not anymore.) However such a disk wouldn’t include drivers for your specific hardware. I wish the news was better.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I checked the HDD today and there were no bad sectors, so somethings gone wrong which means starting again. If only SP1 wasn't such a required update. Anyway I'll try and reinstall and be sure to run the sfc straight away next time. Thanks for all the help by the way. Much appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
Vistaar has jumped into this thread and offered his assistance so I'll leave it to him to guide you through the process of getting your Vista OS up and running correctly.
I only “jumped in” because no one was answering the question! He was getting an error installing SP1, so you told him where to download it, what to install next, etc. while wither3 seems to be confusing service packs with Vista ISOs. The SP1 standalone installer has no prerequisites and should normally work without error.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I wonder if the ISO for the fully updated Vista is still availble from SIW2?

I have the 64 bit version.

Also, I wonder if he has this folder- C:\68e6820a92e6d43433
If so, is the sqmapi.dll there?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I don’t think he would’ve posted Dism++ instructions in the Vista ISO Download thread last December if he intended to continue distributing custom ISOs.

Assuming that VUser is still trying to install SP1, we forgot to recommend setting Windows Update to “Never check for updates” followed by restarting. (Windows Update can no longer connect anyway, but running a standalone installer typically causes WU to launch a futile search for prerequisites that results in an error.) Other things that might interfere with installation include Group Policy (this is Vista Ultimate) and security software. But I still think corruption is probably the cause of this specific error.

The original post suggests that a working Windows 7 system is available, so obviously that could be used for email.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Yeh, I forgot about setting the Windows Updater, as you mentioned. I also don't know if he's running the file as the administrator.

I also don't know if he has x32 or x64 and what particular flavor of Vista he's trying to install.

If he had Windows Live, I think there's a setting in it that can help him get past the SQM problem.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
It’s Vista Ultimate x64. He used Windows Mail. If he had Windows Live, that would be Windows Live Mail, wouldn’t it? Windows Live Essentials was an optional update that I never installed myself.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT